Organic starter mix.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vtfarmer

Reaction score
I prepare this mix early each spring to start my seeds in:

1/3 dry sand. I retrieve a full Sheetrock bucket of sand from a beach in the fall. This sand is carefully flushed with a hose to leach out any salt from the ocean. The sand is then dried for easy mixing.

1/3 finely screen peat moss. I screen bailed peat through a home made 1/4inch hardware cloth screen sieve

1/3 finely screened rich topsoil from my organic garden. Soil is very rich in nutrients and rotted organic matter.

The above ingredients are thoroughly mixed in a large masons tub from Home Depot.
The mix is then brought up to my house where I carefully cook it in shallow pans in the oven set at 250 degrees for about one half hour. You can tell when it’s done by removing pan from oven and seeing it steam. Don’t overcook it, you’ll dry it out. This cooking step kills weed seeds and “damping off ‘microbes .

This mix is placed in 4 inch square plastic pots. ( round ones don’t pack as tight on trays ) . Plastic holds moisture far better than other pot materials.
Sproutedseeds are carefully planted in pots and placed under 24 hour T5 lights.
NOTE: This is a starter mix, not a long term grow mix. This mix is good for 4-5 weeks before plants outgrow pots and nutrients start to become insufficient. It’s time to plant them directly in outdoor grow sites.

Lot of work for starts. I use straight Sunshine #4......pretty much nothing in it. I then add a mycorrhizae mix and light nutes. Simple and works great. But, do what works best for you Vt.

I need to look into that Sunshine #4.

vt that does seem like a lot of work, but it's tried and true for you so that's the ticket. happy frog works good for me. feeds seedlings for about 3-4 wks then must do some kinda meal plan with a pot up.

I've been thinking about trying one of the Coots mixes or even then, trying a slight remix of that made by Smiley Gardens.

been there... used to try all my own mixes and put in all the work.. turns out the real key, for me anyway as we all
need to find our own nitch that works for us best... was grinding up the soiless mix I love so much...

I've learned the most important thing is for the fine baby roots to move around easiest... Roots Organics soil is so
loaded with goodies and a bit chunky, this technique is REALLY needed. Go to a 2nd hand store and try to find an
old fashion coffee grinder, or buy a cheap one.. "Coffee Grinder" and grind up the soil to a fine loamy mixture.

k

Latest posts

Back