Organic Teas! Whats your brew?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wish i could tell you all the technical reasons why i use non un sulphured molasses so i could look really smart---there are none

bottom line is----90% of my soil amendments come in bulk from a feed store--- molasses is used in every watering---all additives are eyeballed---the beneficials in the soil like it---$20 for 5 gal is a bargain

as my esteemed colleague pcduck has already shared---sulphur is used to harvest the molasses---it's a by product---costs mo money in the manufacturing process to remove it for the molasses to become food grade---little pricey in the designer grocery stores for 1liter---this does not work for me cause i am a free pourer

shhhhh---don't tell my microbes the sulphur is supposed to be killing them---residual sulphur from molasses harvesting killing microbes is not all correct---my microb colony is thriving and outnumbers the sulphur molecules---i will be happy to share a rootball with any nay sayers

also---farmers use this stuff to lace the feed for their live stock cause it is sweet---trace amounts of sulphur in molasses may not be food grade---but it's not lethal either cause i am not drinking it---in fact--you can't smell it in the molasses, and the plant does not appear to uptake the sulphur---if it did---i would never have a powdery mildew attack :icon_smile:

this is from "the soilguy" website

Feed Grade Molasses: Commercial grade molasses has sulphur and possibly other preservatives and antibiotics added to reduce fungal growth. Sulphur in most inorganic forms make excellent fungal inhibitors. Antibiotics will inhibit, kill and prevent the growth a wide range, but not all bacteria and fungi. Thus feed grade molasses is not a good choice for a biological stimulant. Care must be taken to read about the ingredients so no ugly little surprises confront you and you don't get the response you want to see.

also checked the label on my cane molasses bucket---it is blackstrap feed grade---i assume it is sulphured because it does not say unsulphured---never had any issues using this stuff and believe it is more helpful than not because it is stimulating and feeding some of the microbal activity---and does provid sugars and starches---proof remains in the rootball for me---i guess feed grade molasses is better than NO molasses

Orange I will check on that feed molasses as I have a friend that works at where it is processed if it is unsulphurated or not.

Also not sure if they meant sulphur or the sulphur dioxide which to my understanding could be a chemical breakdown reaction and build up down the line in the process. I need to find that web site again.

Did not find the web site yet... but found out that sulphur dioxide is added as a preservative.

Not sure but isn't SO2 the beginning of acid rain?
Might be ok for a few grows but once the SO2 is above tolerance levels I would think they would have a tough go of it. Just me thinking out loud.

Molasses made from young sugar cane is called sulphured molasses because of the sulfur dioxide that is added to keep the raw cane fresh until it is processed and to preserve the molasses byproducts produced from it. Unsulphured molasses is made from matured cane plants that have been allowed to ripen naturally in the field.

The triple boiling and sugar extraction process results in Blackstrap molasses being a more nutritionally dense sweetener than plain or "second" molasses. Blackstrap contains the same vitamins and minerals as "second" molasses, but in a more concentrated form. Blackstrap molasses also contains antioxidant compounds, which may help prevent cell damage from free radicals.

Read more: hxxp://www.livestrong.com/article/507716-what-is-the-difference-between-blackstrap-molasses-unsulphured-molasses/#ixzz1yvZeowv2

sorry for the side track/hijack---this thread is supposed to be on tea---been using this over a year now as a tea and in all regular watering---so far so good---no issues---ain't killed nothin' yet---no weird bacteria/fungus---smells nice---i refuse to blame the molasses on the the extra finger growing from my ear

Orange you will have to keep us updated.

I think its a pretty good thread and on subject as molasses is a key ingredient in most our teas. Plus I wondered like many:) and still do:)

I was quite sure it was supposed to be unsulphured molasses but I have been wrong before. It is raining hard here too THG, and it's supposed to keep it up for another day or so. I know I've had enough to last me a while.

I've always heard unsulphered black strap and thats what always produced dankage for me....specifically Brer rabbit mollasses

pcduck said:
Orange you will have to keep us updated.

I think its a pretty good thread and on subject as molasses is a key ingredient in most our teas. Plus I wondered like many:) and still do:)

brother duck---this is the update---i been using this stuff (feed grade molasses) without any issues for over a year---it is very affordable and i use copious amounts with all waterings and teas---it has not interfered with my microbal activity and unlike all the bad rap and negative reports---it seems to have contributed to the overall health and vitality of my plants---i use and recommend it---$20 for 5 gal bucket is cheap---if nothing else---so long as i am satisfied with my production and it makes me feel like i am benefiting my garden when i use it---i will continue to do so---besides the extra finger protruding from my ear is likely from all the clonex anywhooo---:D

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, guys. A lot of good info can be found here! Keep it up!

7greeneyes said:
I've always heard unsulphered black strap and thats what always produced dankage for me....specifically Brer rabbit mollasses

Same here, 7GE. :D

Orange said:
-i assume it is sulphured because it does not say unsulphured-

Could just be that since it is animal grade it does not need to list it if it is not in there. And with food they must state it is not there for people with allergies. Heck if I know:confused2: Maybe it is unsulphured:confused2:

Not to do with growing but makes me think if it kills yeast, it may harm the microbes.
canadiandoomer.ca said:
sulphured molasses will kill the yeast in your baked goods.

canadiandoomer.ca said:
Most molasses sold to consumers does not have added sulphur, though.

i used to buy a product called hybrix from the grow shop---about $50 2.5 gal---think it was made by earth juice---honestly speaking---i have not noticed any difference in yield since i switched to the cattle grade a little over a yr ago

drfting07 said:
Hi BBFan :ciao:

Ive done the whole mixing and matching of single ingredient nutrients before, and brewed teas out of it. Im finding it much easier to have someone do the mixing and matching for me. Cheaper that way too. Dr. Earth is some good **** man. Heres whats in it:

Dr. Earth Organic 5; Alaskan fish bone meal, high country feather meal, Norwegian cold water kelp meal, valley grown alfalfa meal, colloidal soft rock phosphate, fish meal, mined potassium sulfate, humic acid, seaweed extract, beneficial soil microbes and myco

Dr. Earth Organic 8; Alaskan fish bone meal, high country feather meal, mined potassium sulfate, valley grown alfalfa meal, Norwegian cold water kelp meal, seaweed extract, beneficial microbes and myco

I add a few things as i brew, but its a pretty well rounded fert as is.

Glad people are finding this thread useful! Keep Updating! THANKS!
Drfting07
Hey Drfting07-

You know, I always wondered why you were so big on the Dr. Earth products, but honestly I never bothered to really check them out.

My local farm and feed store starting carrying a few of their products and I've taken a closer look and they certainly are what you've been saying all along... good stuff.

Thanks guys. The amount of bud i produce for my needs, i dont need to buy this stuff in bulk, single ingredient ferts. It works great for my needs. ive looked into them for 2 years, and have been running milos products for those 2 years. not only that, its beyond affordable. 20 bucks for 12 lbs of COMPLETE OMRI certified organic fertilizer. Im sold!

Keep it alive!
Drfting07

orangesunshine said:
i used to buy a product called hybrix from the grow shop---about $50 2.5 gal---think it was made by earth juice---honestly speaking---i have not noticed any difference in yield since i switched to the cattle grade a little over a yr ago

wow $50 for hi brix thats crazy...i the 2.5 gallon for $18. not as good as your five gallon for $20. and if works just the same, might as well. I think I'll check out my local feed store

i got me a 55 gal. barrel filled it w/ water to this i added 1 coffee can dried chicken ****, 2 cans of worm castings, 10 lrg. comfrey leaves, 1 can of ground alfalfa, 1/2 can ground oyster shell, 1 qrt. liquid kelp. 1c molasses. put lid on and let set five days. but i shake daily. this is my grow juice and my garden is beautiful. yesterday i started my bloom juice. let me know if you want to know whats in it:D

How do you shake a 55 gal barrel filled with water?

What size coffee can? How did you come up with this particular recipe? What is different between your grow formula and your flower formula?

THG---most peeps brewing tea will use a bubbler and a bag of some sort---like a laundry silks bag for the dryer, burlap sack, or a womans nylon stocking---anything to contain the organic matter that will not break down or make it thru your pump before time to use the tea---helps if it's also tied to a line for shaking and or fishing out when it's time to use the tea---same as a lipton tea bag

Latest posts

Back