Organic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@oldfogey8 i just set up some concrete blocks in a rectangle and cover it with a small piece of plywood lying around...we’ll, mine is not in the woods but it might help you keep soma your stuff in there...

So Rose, I guess you n me are the old fashioned folk here. I grew up on a farm and we were using mules when I was little. Fertilizer? I gots your fertilizer. Came out of the kitchen, outta the chiken house and frequently leftovers from the orchard and the silo.

Exactly Nick, I would give anything to have the "dirt" out of the corral at my dads farm. We didn't have garbage pickup either out in the country so once a year they took a a few cans and no compostable stuff to the dump. I had a gunnysack of that soil it and it is in the pot garden. That was some fine stuff.
Nick, i remember when dad got the manure spreader, he spread manure all over the world that day.

The lower level of the barn on the Grams farm had manure from decades of poor cows penned up inside. In some places it was a foot deep. I assume her parents got too old to take care of it properly but I know she would go and dig some out in the fall and rototil it into her garden beds. She also burned all her trash. There was no trash pickup at her house. I don’t remember a compost pile but I was pretty young.

I was up by the old farm not to long ago. My Dads wife(I'll never call the last one family) sold it right after he passed. The old barn we dried tobacco in fell down and in its place is a stand of trees so thick and tall I would hate to try and clear it now. That barn wasn't used for anything after my Gramps sold off the mules except drying tobacco but it did have a healthy layer of mule on the floor.

Latest posts

Back