Outdoor Garden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyGold

Reaction score
Hey all I’ve been reading this site for awhile and just now posting. I’m a newbie grower and all mine will be grew outdoors. My question is how many plants can I somewhat safely put in an area and be less likely seen from the sky? For example if I had a good half acre of ground that had undergrowth for disguise, and was in a rural area, how plants would you scatter in that area? I was told that each plant should be around 6 feet away from one another but again I don’t know how many to put in the space I mentioned. I hate underutilize good areas but at the same time don’t want to overdo it. Thank you all in advance for any help!

Kentucky-- Welcome to MP -- Pot is easy to spot from the sky -- Growing all outdoors is a problem too -- It would be best if U started inside -- sex them then clone dahell out the girls and take rooted cutting to the woods -- If not come fall U might have some great big worthless boys out there -- Put out 10 times as many as U hope to harvest -- If it's easy for U to get to them it will be easy for others to get to them -- Avoid making a trail that leads right to the plants -- U might even want to try some feminized autos blooming plants -- They'll be ready for harvest before the popo get up in the air looking for plants !-- Also there's fall hunting season right about harvest time - Good luck !

Hey thank you !! Yes I’ll be getting female plants so got that part covered. What’s the “feminizes autos blooming plants.” (Sorry I’m a newbie ha ha) I like the idea about the trail. I have been scouting and have a couple safe spots as far as hunters and people on foot go. There is always that possibility someone could walk across them but I feel decently confident of a couple places I have picked out. The helicopters are what worry me the worst. Thank you so much for your reply and help! Love reading people’s posts on here as I’m learning!

When you say pit out ten times more; do you mean seeds or the female plants? You have me curious about that ha ha

KG -- There's sativas that come from more temperate regions and take longer to finish -- indicas from cooler climates and they finish faster - These are called photos -- That means that they will go to bloom only when the light is reduced like we do inside by changing the light to 12/12 -- Then there is something called roderalis - It is a type of short pot that grows up to a certain size and blooms without any change in the light -- I don't grow them because I'm a cloner and U can't clone them -- To make an Auto blooming plant a roderalis is bred to a photo -- The offspring will have that auto trait -- Ideally U would use feminized seed so that all would be female -- So if U see something that is say a White Widow Auto -- That tell U it was a WW bred to a roderalis -- Reads up on them U may want to put some outside -- I'd stick to fast finishing indica if U grow some indicas -- I'm not sure a sativa would have time to finish properly before the freeze !

Start 10 times more than U want ?-- there will be bugs and all sorts of critters wanting to eat your weed -- Someone may find some - U not there with them all the time like we can inside -- stuff happens !

Autos are a good choice for a newbie to learn on especially outdoors gorilla style.
I grew outdoors off and on for years and never got better than just good for one problem or the other. Photo's can get Huge if you give them what they want.
My advice is grow indoors if you can. You have full control over every aspect and can bring them to full potential.
If you grow outdoor, tell NO ONE!
1st and worst mistake every new grower makes is showing off their pretty girlz.
Choppers? Use tree lines and spread em out. Random order nothing that looks cultivated from the air. Cover freshly exposed dirt with leaves n stuff.
Bare dirt is easy to see from above.

I've had the opportunity to fly over our area in a little two seater plane and i was amazed at the detail. I can only imagine what the feds can see with advanced optics. Take extra effort to cover sign and try to use different routes in and out . If you use 5 gal plastic buckets they should be covered or painted -- those white buckets stick out like beacons from the air. Im a beginner outside grower too, green as Grass you might say:rolleyes:. Lots of great advice on this site from really experienced growers. Best of luck bro and welcome to the site!

This is great stuff guys I appreciate it greatly! Let me ask another question. The plants I’m getting are expensive and I would like to get my own seeds out of them for next year. If I want to allow a male to pollinate a female, how far apart do I need to put them from my main crop to ensure they are not pollinated?

One more question. I’ve got my plants coming but I’ve been looking online at ordering some seeds just for experimenting and trying different strains. There is too much for this newbie to comprehend. What is a good strain that would a lot of people are interested in purchasing? Again I know very little about the different strains and any help would be greatly appreciated!!

You get that male ANYWHERE near the girlz and you'll have more seed than you want.
Totally isolate the male. Collect pollen and hand pollinate a few buds so you can have seed.
Even when you think you've been care full those tiny little bits of pollen float around till they find a home.

If you're going to want to sell your buds you should go with auto's. If you are in Kentucky you have the same things to deal with as I do. My WORST problem is mold. It always shows up during flower and it ruins your crop. A lot of heart ache to see your girlz have to go in the compost pile.
Autos will give you buds way before the end of the season when mold hits hardest.

I’ve heard other people talk about how their plants were destroyed by this mold. Is there anyway to stop that from happening? What is causing it? Will you tell me more about these auto plants? I’m looking it up but not seeing good info on it.

I would really suggest not trying to make seeds. Seeds are not that expensive to buy. If you keep a male, you take the risk of pollinating your entire crop, which you definitely do not want. Even when you are careful, it is easy for pollen to get everywhere. And if you do make seeds, they will not be female seeds--every plant will have to be sexed.

Keep in mind that autos are cannabis plants that have been crossed with ruderalis and because of this, autos are generally not as strong as regular plants.

There are autos now that will run side by side with photos now on potency.
Check out jock horror for one from Nirvana seeds.

Mold usually attacks during flower in high humidity climates.
If you're in the country you'll see it on other plants too.
It IS possible to control it but is a WHOLE lot of work.
Best way I've come up with to combat mold is heavy spraying on the ground all around your plants. Also spray low on the main stalk. Also make sure they get lots of sun. If you have much shade they won't grow well.
Many years ago I grew near Henderson Ky. Very humid in summer.

Again guys this info is great! thegloman, this may be a dumb question but what are you spraying your plants with to keep the mold away? How often do you spray and is it pretty effective?

KG
I use only organic products.
Neem oil has been my go to for spraying. Use it liberally during veg.
During flower keep it off the buds. It tastes TERRIBLE!

KG
Thank you! Is the mold normally just on the plant and not the bud?

KG
I agree
i made that mistake once
Will never do it again

Again guys this info is great! thegloman, this may be a dumb question but what are you spraying your plants with to keep the mold away? How often do you spray and is it pretty effective?
Look into a product called Green Cure
I used it once a week to hold off Powdery Mildew

Latest posts

Back