Outdoor soil mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerillaweedfare

Reaction score
Hello marijuana passioners,

It's been some time since I last ventured onto this sight. I hope all is well.

I'm finally starting my outdoor grow for this season (late as usual) and I was wondering what you guys thought for a soil mix based on what I have so far:

Perlite - 5 bags (8 qt. each)
Vermiculite - 1 bag (4 qt.)
Sphagnum peat moss - 3 cu. ft (huge bag compressed)
Happy Frog potting mix - 2 cu. ft.
Fox Farms OF mix - end of a bag, probably only 8 qt. left
Bone meal
Blood meal
Crushed Dolomite Lime Pellets - couldn't find the powder online
Epsom salt
Crushed egg shells
Coffee grounds

My biggest concern is the amount of each part of the mix to add. I know peat moss is rather acidic so does that mean I should include extra dolomite lime? For my last grow I sort of just threw in what I thought seemed right and from the start I had problems and I'm almost certain it was because I added too much/too little of something.

I'm working with limited funds right now but if there is anything else necessary that you think I should include, please let me know.

I will be growing outside where the existing soil doesn't seem too bad to begin with. When I finally found my plot after a long day of scouting, I almost didn't notice that I was standing on the remains of a deer skeleton:eek:...not sure if this is a good or bad thing but I bet the soil is nice and fertile in that spot lol.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

guerilla

Pick up some

GH ancient forest
Great White or ZHO
Insect Frass
And crunch up a mosquito dunk (bacillius t.)

Add just a little bit of each and mix it well. Your plants will thrive like never before. While I can't help on the mix (i don't do much soil). I do know these beneficials could save your grow from an attack.

thanks for the tip OG. I usually just sprayed for pests but I never thought about adding those directly to the soil.

I'm more concerned about the actual nutes available to the plant in the right quantities within the soil.

I'm growing quite a mix of girls outside (first time trying some good genetics) so I want to make sure they will be fed properly. Currently germinating I have 1 frissian dew, 1 special queen #1, and 2 blue mystic. I also ordered 1 skunk #1, 1 Early Skunk, and 10 Satori seeds that should be here soon.

bone and blood meals are sometimes detected, and percieved as food for ctitters. (they dig up your garden searching for the source)

I have this small animal repellent that you are suppose to put around your garden. I believe it's called "shake away". I've used it in the past but I've also always used a fence too so who knows if it actually works.

The recipe calls for Blood, Bone, and KELP.

You need that kelp meal. Blood for N, Bone for P and the kelp for K.

Per cf (~7.5 gallons)
Blood- a heavy 1/2 to light 1cup
Bone-a good solid cup
kelp- heavy 1/2 to a light 1cup
dolomite-1cup

coffee is good, takes a while to break down. I add some, but mostly, it gets fed to my worms.

egg shells are great, VERY finely ground and they still take forever to break down.

Did I mention you really need kelp meal?

Wet

Thanks Wet this helps a lot. I'll be sure to pick up some kelp since I didn't realize how important it is.

I was planning on making my mix with peat moss and perlite as the main ingredients. Will the acidic levels of the peat moss really mess things up? I heard it has a ph of around 4.

dolomite lime! the finer it is the quicker it works. 1 cup per cubic foot with peat moss. Wouldn't hurt to add a little vermiculite and perlite also. I dont use alot though, maybe 10%. I would also add the two bags of soil you have to the mix. This will give young plants some nutrients , and kick start the beneficial bacteria in the soil.

drfting07 said:
dolomite lime! the finer it is the quicker it works. 1 cup per cubic foot with peat moss. Wouldn't hurt to add a little vermiculite and perlite also. I dont use alot though, maybe 10%. I would also add the two bags of soil you have to the mix. This will give young plants some nutrients , and kick start the beneficial bacteria in the soil.

awesome thanks drfting! I think I can finally start mixing all my amenities together...once I get kelp of course. The ratio of dolomite lime to peat moss is what was really stumping me. Thanks again.

I wouldnt overlook the benny's ......................................:D

Just saying, it would be a sad day if your new thread title was "Some little -insert color- bug is moving around in my soil!" Bare minimum get a 10$ pack of ZHO or Great White, and those mosquito dunks kill all sorts of larva (like 8$).

MoJo 4 you...a toke :48: ...and good luck brother!:)

No problem Guerrilla! When you add your Dolomite and bags of soil, mix it well and water with mollases and water at the ratio of 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. This will activate both the lime and the beneficial micros. After a week or 3, test the PH and adjust if needed. Your shooting for 5.5-6.5 PH is soilless, IME.

Edit: BTW that compressed bag if roughly 7cf un-compressed. I would add 7 cups of dolomite.

Happy Satori Trails! Hope to see your journal.

Latest posts

Back