Outdoor temperature ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone again!

Reaction score
Someone on the “introduce yourself” forum said I should post this question here… Does anyone on this forum live in Northern California? Sacramento area to be exact… The reason I am asking is that this is my first grow and it has been a little chilly here and I need to know what the outdoor temperature should be, before I move my plants from the inside to the outside? Thanks in advance… Noel

Stone again! said:
...this is my first grow and it has been a little chilly here and I need to know what the outdoor temperature should be, before I move my plants from the inside to the outside?

If you're putting them into the ground, the soil temps should be consistently above 50F. Below that and it will retard root growth and cause stress to the plants which will compound the transplant shock.

If you're letting them remain in containers, use a light colored container that is large enough, (one gallon per/foot of plant height at harvest) and the air temps should be consistently above 50F.

You should acclimate them to the outside temps and sunlight in stages. This is known as "Hardening Off". A quick Google on that term will fill you in on the process.

:yeahthat: all good advise

I live in the Mountains, I go with a steady 46f overnight temps. The sun will have warmed the soil during the day enough for me to put out plants then. I read somewhere that MJ stops growing at 46f.

oh, Outdoor questions should be presented in the Outdoor forum, for future reference.

Nor Cal has been experienceing lower than normal temps this last week. I suggest watching the overnight temps, and long term forecast. I have a friend in Redding puts his out First week in May. He gets some mighty fine big plants too.

Good luck to you! It is gonna be an outstanding grow season, would love to see a journal up here from you.

Latest posts

Back