Over dried buds!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shatzie24

Reaction score
Help!
I had to harvest some plants before I went out of town for 2 days and my buds are dry and crunchy now. Is there any hope or are they lost?
I've got some Boveda packs, will that work?

Help!
I had to harvest some plants before I went out of town for 2 days and my buds are dry and crunchy now. Is there any hope or are they lost?
I've got some Boveda packs, will that work?
Put them in jars. I've dried in extremely low humidity for too long, and the buds were crunchy a.f on the surface, but after a week in jars.. they evened themselfs out.

Hey man... I hate to ask. but why did they dry to a crisp in just 2 days?

This is causing irreversible damage to trichome heads, they are melting away and the good stuff is evaporating on ya man. I've seen so many growers, good growers too, ruin a crop like this.. ya gotta
slow your drying process down and should be able to leave them for a week with no worries.

I just read an old grow book, really helped me a lot. The guys says to remove ONLY the large fan leaf material but leave all the smaller leaf that engulfs the bud itself. says what this will do is actually protect the trichome heads while drying and lock in terps better, boy was he right.. then you have all them sugar leafs to make butter, or even good am smoke. drying should take 7 to 10 days.. min. dark room, low 70's with a light fan moving air about but not hurricane force and not blowing directly onto the plants.. hang dry
, cut into sections if need be.

I just want to see you happy with your results.. doing what you can to save this is smart and your getting good advice from the experts here.. luck bro

Shatzie, where was this fresh harvest at when it dried so quick in just two days? Shouldn’t be that crispy unless the conditions were very hot and dry maybe oven like…. I have used a slice of apple in a jar of dried weed to bring back the moisture. You have to be real careful doing it tho. I traded out the apple slice everyday and had a humidity gage in the jar I also put the slice of apple on a piece of foil so it didn’t touch the weed. It did help tho

I had them drying in my tent in my basement (65ish degrees and 40-50ish% humidity) and harvested them the day before I left (so technically 3 days?)... to be fair, the plants themselves weren't in the best condition, which is why I harvested them before the rest... leaves were yellow and wilted and not bouncing back when watered. The trichome picture is probably 3 days before harvest.

Probably because the lights and fan are still going? This is my first harvest so I'm totally clueless.

I was thinking of using the trim for bubble hash... maybe I should just cut my losses here and use these as well. I've got 5 healthier plants still to harvest and I'm not going anywhere so I can keep a close eye on them.

Attachments

• PXL_20221223_165826149.jpg
    PXL_20221223_165826149.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221223_165810278.jpg
    PXL_20221223_165810278.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • grow2.jpg
    grow2.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • grow1.jpg
    grow1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
cut your losses and move on up!

chalk it up as experience and not a loss

it is so much fun to explore everything there is about growing cannabis from seed to partaking of ones own harvest!

Next time do some research on the techniques of drying and curing. IMO it is just as important as how and what you grow.
I've honestly read a lot but until you experience it... it is all still very confusing. I had a bit of a panic reaction because they looked so poor and I was going away. I'm hoping to harvest the rest of the plants in a more reasonable fashion...lol.

Thank you all for your help. Always appreciated!

If I read this correctly, it sounds like you had your light on during drying. Light degrades cannabinoids. You should dry slowly and in darkness.

I screwed up a couple of branches my last harvest and the exterior was crispy like yours(though I did not dry under lights). I popped them into a jar and the RH in the jar leveled out around 65 but it was apparently too late. The smoke tastes like grass(not the good kind) after curing. The upside is the buzz is still good. It just doesn’t taste good. If I had the motivation and enough bud, I would make dry ice hash with them as I suspect the flavor would be better but I have neither the motivation nor the quantity.

Always hang your colas in a cool dark place 1st,, and then into jars for curing. Cool is very important. Make sure your jars are also in a cool dark place.
I go by feel. When I hang dry I squeeze a bud and if it feels kinda dry but not brittle it goes into jars and I start burping.

Always hang your colas in a cool dark place 1st,, and then into jars for curing. Cool is very important. Make sure your jars are also in a cool dark place.
I go by feel. When I hang dry I squeeze a bud and if it feels kinda dry but not brittle it goes into jars and I start burping.
Good advice.

I pulled them down and it might not be AS bad as I thought... the smaller popcorn buds were definitely a bust but there was still some bend to the larger stems and the larger buds were still somewhat sticky and fragrant. I'll give them a try and see what happens. I was planning on trying bubble hash (or dry ice if I could find it but it is not looking good) or butter/oil with the trim... do you think one would be better than the other in this case?

Also, as for curing, I've read that you cure from anywhere from 2 weeks to a month... what does this group think is best? Is there such a thing as over-curing? Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to sample for a few weeks so I can't try it out.

And thank you everyone for your help... I've got half of the plants to go so I will definitely not make the same mistakes this time. I'm going to try to wet trim them this time (last time they were so wilted and I was in a rush I couldn't do it) and keep them dark and cool.

Attachments

• PXL_20221231_154515703.jpg
    PXL_20221231_154515703.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back