Oxygen Power Bags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummyscurse

Reaction score
I apologize if this question is being posted in the wrong category. I ordered a roll of mylar from an eBay seller, to line my grow area, and was pleased to learn that he was out of 25' rolls, and instead sent a 100' roll (way more than I need for now, but a nice surprise, nonetheless).

While cutting sheets to size this morning, I heard something sliding inside the cardboard tube, and removed one of the end caps. What I found inside were half a dozen "Oxygen Power Bags"; heavy guage, opaque, medium blue plastic, about 16" x 20" when openned up. I've never heard of Oxygen Power Bags before; anyone here have a clue what they're used for? They're priced at $7.99 per bag, stamped right on the bags, so whatever they do, the dang bags sure ain't cheap for a plastic bag! I know they're not ice hash extractor bags...can't find anything out with a Google search. What do these things do...anything a "home gardener" would find useful? Still wondering, too, what they were doing stashed inside the mylar tube. Wierd...

Whats up. Do you have a pic of the power bags? I did a search and all i could find was something to do with oxygen and a vacuum cleaner. :rolleyes:

Yea, my Google search turned up nothing that looked at all relevant. Probably making much more of this than the bags deserve, but my curiousity has been piqued, so I'd like to follow it through a while longer.

Just took some snapshots with my Sprint phone...tried to be as steady as I could, but they'll probably be typical phone photos, nothing much. I'll post them later today, unless someone else goes, "Oh ****, those are 'ya-da-da-ya-da-da' bags, you use those to store Rhubarb", and lets us know they're nothing to get excited about. :)

I will say that they definitely appear to be non-porous. They're meant to keep something in, or something else out. But, I doubt if anything medically related to these bags would have a price tag stamped on them...and for damn sure they'd cost patients $500 instead of $7.99! LOL

I decided to check my eBay purchases, and contact the seller about the bags. Much to my surprise, the eBay page showing the mylar I purchased, also showed his "gift" to the purchaser....yep, five Oxygen Grow Bags. They are, indeed, a product for growers. And, contrary to my suposition, they are, in fact, quite porous, for oxygen, but not for water. The text and images from that part of the eBay ad are as follows:

OXYGEN POWER GROW BAGS
5 Gallon Size

THEY ARE FOR ALL GROWING MEDIUMS. (SOIL,ROCKWOOL,CERAMIC BALLS,PLASTIC BEADS .........YOU NAME IT!!!!) NOT CHEAP......THESE BAGS ARE SCIENTIFICALLY CORONA TREATED TO BREATH LOTS OF AIR RIGHT TO THE ROOTS. MILLIONS OF TINY HOLES UNSEEN TO THE NAKED EYE THAT WON'T LET WATER THROUGH BUT WILL ALLOW AIR TO PASS.
THEY ARE REUSABLE AND THEY ARE 4 MIL THICK. THEY MEASURE OVER 10 X 10 inches SQUARE WHEN OPEN AND 21 inches TALL AND WILL STAND UP ANYWHERE WHEN FULL.

YOU ADJUST THE SIZE CONTAINER YOU NEED (1 TO 5 GALLON SIZE) BY FOLDING DOWN THE SIDES 2-3 INCHES AT A TIME THEY COME WITH NO DRAINAGE HOLES BECAUSE THAT DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU FILL THEM. USE A HOLE PUNCH OR USE A RAZOR TO PUT 1/2 inch SLITS.

blue%20power%20bag%20012.jpg

blue%20power%20bag%20014.jpg

I'd guess that you have to use these inside mesh type, hydroponics pots, otherwise they'd have no shape to hold. Yea, the ad says they'll "stand up anywhere", when filled, but I'd have to see how true that is in practice...I'd use 'em inside 10" to 12" mesh pots.

Has anyone here ever used something like this? Although they're expensive, I can see the advantages of transmitting air to the roots much more freely than a normal plastic pot would permit. On the plus side, the bags are reuseable... although I wonder if mineral salts from nutes and from tap water might clog the microscopic pores of the bags. If I choose to try them, I'll need one more bag, because my crops are always six plants, and there were only five Oxygen bags sent.

As Inspector Clouseau would say, "The mystery is sol...ved". ;-)

Try the five bags out and use a pot for the sixth one as a control for an experiment to see if they actually do as stated. This would be very interesting to follow as I have wondered if there was a product like this on the market. It seems logical and I would think that they would actually work, but there is only one way to find out. If you got the time it would be very intersting. hint hint lol.

TGT

There is someone on here right now thas growing with all growbags... they stand by themselves. Normally they are made outta the black/white polyurethane that ppl line walls with.

What has me curious is the idea of those bags having microscopic pores so that the roots can breath. Sounds kind of interesting. I have used grow bags before, but not the kind stated above.

TGT

I guess... aeroponics is still #1 =)

KADE said:
There is someone on here right now thas growing with all growbags... they stand by themselves. Normally they are made outta the black/white polyurethane that ppl line walls with.

THATS ME! But i'm not using these oxygen bags. I haven't had any problems so far with my regular ones so you may want to try these out. Also when you fill the bag take a nail and poke some more holes on the very bottom of the bag if they're not already there (extras won't hurt.)

A great trick for making sure your roots stay fully supplied with Oxygen is to just add a bit of hydrogen peroxide to your watering solution. I use about 2.5 ml per liter of water. Just need to make sure you keep your water in an air-tight container and keep it in a dark place. Then everytime you water your plant, you're also replacing the oxygen (as you SHOULD remember from high school chem, when peroxide is exposed to light it breaks apart into H2O and O, that's Water and Oxygen!). In addition to replacing lost oxygen, it also helps to kill little organisms and parasites that may have found their way into the soil.

Latest posts

Back