P deficiency? (pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maystor

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently passing 4th week of flowering - last week I gave my plants bloom nutes 4-7-7 almost full strenght... lets say about 75-80% of what was written on the package. After few days all my plants bottom leaves started to turn pale green and with brown patches. By the looks it seem its a P def but its kinda strange to have P def few days after feeding them. This is only on bottom fan leaves. Top growth and buds seem fine although bit smaller for 4 week old buds...
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

maystor said:
Hey all,

I'm currently passing 4th week of flowering - last week I gave my plants bloom nutes 4-7-7 almost full strength... lets say about 75-80% of what was written on the package. After few days all my plants bottom leaves started to turn pale green and with brown patches. By the looks it seem its a P def but its kinda strange to have P def few days after feeding them. This is only on bottom fan leaves. Top growth and buds seem fine although bit smaller for 4 week old buds...

It's perfectly natural for MJ plants to start losing their bottom leaves and sometimes even the larger top leaves during flowering.

The plant is using a completely different set of hormones and enzymes in it's attempt to grow the best flowers it can as nature has directed it to do as an attempt to propagate the species.

When all those hormones and enzymes switch, it results in the lessening of absorption of many other nutrients, enzymes and hormones and causes the plant to kill off it's own *no-longer-needed* fan leaves.

Don't even worry about it man. It'll happen with every crop, regardless of how you try to compensate for it. Some strains do it more, some less, but all of them do it.

If the buds themselves and the smaller leaves nearest the buds are still healthy and green, then you're alright.

Don't remove any "Dead Leaves" until they are 50% or more dead. Until they are 50% dead, they still provide enough photosynthesis to help the plant. After more than 50% dead, they cause more of a draw of energy than they provide and it's better to remove them at that point. When removing them, use a very sharp pair of scissors to lessen the repairs the plant will have to do to the cut stem of the leaf.

maystor said:
Hey all,

I'm currently passing 4th week of flowering - last week I gave my plants bloom nutes 4-7-7 almost full strenght... lets say about 75-80% of what was written on the package. After few days all my plants bottom leaves started to turn pale green and with brown patches. By the looks it seem its a P def but its kinda strange to have P def few days after feeding them. This is only on bottom fan leaves. Top growth and buds seem fine although bit smaller for 4 week old buds...

Prob Not any type of Def!,,IMO it is just a reaction to the nutes the timing is the Main Factor ;) just:watchplant:

StoneyBud said:
It's perfectly natural for MJ plants to start losing their bottom leaves and sometimes even the larger top leaves during flowering.

The plant is using a completely different set of hormones and enzymes in it's attempt to grow the best flowers it can as nature has directed it to do as an attempt to propagate the species.

When all those hormones and enzymes switch, it results in the lessening of absorption of many other nutrients, enzymes and hormones and causes the plant to kill off it's own *no-longer-needed* fan leaves.

Don't even worry about it man. It'll happen with every crop, regardless of how you try to compensate for it. Some strains do it more, some less, but all of them do it.

If the buds themselves and the smaller leaves nearest the buds are still healthy and green, then you're alright.

Don't remove any "Dead Leaves" until they are 50% or more dead. Until they are 50% dead, they still provide enough photosynthesis to help the plant. After more than 50% dead, they cause more of a draw of energy than they provide and it's better to remove them at that point. When removing them, use a very sharp pair of scissors to lessen the repairs the plant will have to do to the cut stem of the leaf.

:yeahthat: Well Said!! All True!! :hubba:

'P' def would show definite reddening of veins, petioles and eventually stems with progression, along with browning from the interior leaf at late stage.

I recently had to deal with a rather severe 'P' deficeincy, superphosphate worked a treat in rapid time.

You say you`re only at 80% nutrients although 4 weeks into flower?
Bounce that up man! My tip - Feed em`.

By reddening do you mean something like that?
def.jpg
This was present since early veg but it became pretty severe and dark recently. Leaf stems are also dark purple. This is a clone from a seed mother that didn't have any red on main stem or leaf stems. Grow room temp doesnt drop below 70 when lights are off

If you're hitting the cal-mag heavy and using molassas and Epsoms too, you probably are locking out the P, and it's not a deficiency. Too much Cal will lock your P up tight.

I use non of that. Just 1/2 strength nutes every other watering (usually 8-10 days)

That`s the one! ;)

Soil or hydro? Can`t tell from pics...

Some (P) def in flower is normal, although don`t let her get out of hand.

Check your nutrient levels for cal/mg, great bit of info there.

If soil; did you add lime to the mix before flower transplant?

Hope she`s going good now pal, not checked in for a couple of days....

BTW, IMO the nutes need to be upped. I`m feeding every 4 days at full strength, coming up on 4 weeks myself.
Work it up gradually and she`ll take whatever you can give her.

Green Mojo comin` at ya!

shuggy4105 said:
'P' def would show definite reddening of veins, petioles and eventually stems with progression, along with browning from the interior leaf at late stage.

I recently had to deal with a rather severe 'P' deficeincy, superphosphate worked a treat in rapid time.

You say you`re only at 80% nutrients although 4 weeks into flower?
Bounce that up man! My tip - Feed em`.

Thx! You just taught me something. My Sour-d plants always get the reddening on the stem 5 or 6 weeks into flower. What just made me think it was the strain, is that I also grow snowcap and it never reddens. Same soil/nutes/lights/envi. So Now I know to up the nutes for the Sour in mid flower! THX;)

Latest posts

Back