paintball gun co2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtsmoke

Reaction score
hi everybody

i am looking into getting a co2 setup.i found a hydrofarm setup for $170 .the setup has everything i need but no tank.i read somwhere that paintball gun co2 isnt pure co2

is that true?

I'm not sure about that, it seems to me it should be the same but perhaps not. I used to get tanks filled at a welding supply place.

welding supply store would ask me if this is for paintball or welding when i was filling my small bottles. he also said the only difference is the form they fill it as co2 can be filled either liquid or vapor.

That would make sense as an actual Co2 system has a more complex regulator system. Paintball ones probably can't handle the liquid type.

thanks for the the input guys.so what do i want the liquid or gas.it prob doesnt matter it comes out gas anyways rite?
i have a paintball co2 tank 3000psi.

sgtsmoke said:
thanks for the the input guys.so what do i want the liquid or gas.it prob doesnt matter it comes out gas anyways rite?
i have a paintball co2 tank 3000psi.

Ok... first... you need a regulater... which i think u mentioned?

2nd... co2 isn't used for ''welding'' very often so whoever u were talking to.... well... i dunno *** they r talking about.. but carrying on.... Bulk co2 comes in gas or liquid... you would want a "50lber". A tank with a syphon is liquid.. and holds WAAAAY more then just a tank full of co2 gas. The liquid when given room expands into gas.
Commercial co2 and paintball co2 is exactly 100% the same. In the paintball world it is only used as liquid. Altho the sport is moving away from the expensive co2 now =)

I know how to get the co2 out of the tank n that sort of thing... but i dunno how u'd gear it up after that... i'd assume you would have an expansion tank for the liquid to go into and expand into gas... then a nozzle from that to release the co2 to the air.

A commercial "50lber" price is around $80/year for the contract and $65 for refills.

id disagree on your 2nd.....c02 is used for welding. it is mostly used for mig welding and used as a shielding gas. there are also other blends of welding gas such as c02/argon in different percentages and pure argon which is used primarily for tig welding.

fugly said:
i believe your 2nd is wrong.....c02 is used for welding. it is mostly used for mig welding and used as a shielding gas. there are also other blends of welding gas such as c02/argon in different percentages and pure argon which is used primarily for tig welding.

Co2 is ONLY used when needing a deep penetration weld... when have you (i'm assuming u weld) done that?
Co2 is a semi-inert gas and will make a horrible weld on thinner steel probably 95% of welding done in the world. Argon or sometimes helium is used typically. They are true inert gasses. Co2 is used mostly as a cheap alternative to argon and helium.

MIG in mig welding means Metal Inert Gas.
I'm not trying to pick a fight or nething... i'm just showing i'm not an idiot =) I weld everything... however I dont own A tig welder... the demand is so low in my area it would never pay for itself.

hey,
pretty good! :) i dont know about horrible thin steel welds...ive used c02 for thin steel welds. just that i try to keep the amperage down and use the thinest wire i believe a .025 core. also try not to do too long of a bead of itll burn through. or if i need to spot weld together the metals.

your right though...i use it because its cheap...and leave the good stuff to my tig. just curious why you would say c02 isnt used for welding very often?

amazing what we can do with a welder!
my lighting frame....adjustable to any height or width.
100_1797.jpg

Hey, Though id just join in on the welding talk as im in the processes of doing my MIG qualification in the uk right now! The pure Co2 bottles can be used for doing thinner metals but it's not a good idea because it doesn't provide a good sheild of the weld so it oxidises badly so you get lots of spatter. It is possible its just really difficult, i think its more common to use a Co2/argon mix for welding thinner materials. So i guess the answer to Sgtsmoke's question in the first place is you can get pure co2 from the local welding supplier as for the paintball, i have no idea :confused:. I dont quite understand the whole liguid/gas filled thing though, surely co2 in a bottle is liquid always? then gas once released?

Offspring_36 said:
Hey, Though id just join in on the welding talk as im in the processes of doing my MIG qualification in the uk right now! The pure Co2 bottles can be used for doing thinner metals but it's not a good idea because it doesn't provide a good sheild of the weld so it oxidises badly so you get lots of spatter. It is possible its just really difficult, i think its more common to use a Co2/argon mix for welding thinner materials. So i guess the answer to Sgtsmoke's question in the first place is you can get pure co2 from the local welding supplier as for the paintball, i have no idea :confused:. I dont quite understand the whole liguid/gas filled thing though, surely co2 in a bottle is liquid always? then gas once released?

That is exactly right. It is semi-inert... so it doesn't hold well and creates spatter... which burns all over hell n creation... You can buy mixes.. which is what you are speaking of... usually 80/20 (co2 is low number) or 75/25.. this decreases cost.... In the manner of doing it for a living... the customer ultimately pays for the gasses... I find welding w/ pure argon is a dream compared to the rest... and they always have it on hand in my area... hell, they deliver it within 15minutes =)

On to co2... I know 100% that the bottles come with syphons and antisyphons. The syphon is designed to pull out the liquid.. the anti is designed to pull out gas... but you get a much better bang for ur buck with the syphoned bottles... u could always get a half bottle (25lber)... thas what most ppl I know use for co2... they hold quite a bit... but if u dont already have a contract to buy it and all that it doesn't add up imo.. unless u can't vent ur air newhere.

Fugly - I gotta say.. nice lookin light mount... I never even thought of welding something up. *drives to the shop* haha

Latest posts

Back