Panama Red

Discussion in 'Marijuana Strain Questions & Reviews' started by Legendary Genetics, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

I really would love to grow some legendary Panama Red. I've heard so many great things about it and I just need to experience it. Does anybody know if seeds are still available amongst the growing communities of Panama?

Saw this from another forum. It's a little thing about Panama Red and an actual picture of Panama Red.

Found these online.

And also found this story on another forum:

Anybody know if that's still true? I would definitely consider traveling there to get those seeds.

panama-red01.jpg

panama-red_3.jpg

2. Jun 25, 2008 #2

John Public

John Public

John Public

Humble grower

Hello LegendaryGenetics, I had not seen this topic :)

I copy/paste my former post + some informations:

I have seeds said to be Panama red circa 1974. It grows pure sativa, 12-16 weeks of flowering, red buds, deep high, particular smell, some may hermie but not too many. The seeds are very small and brown.

Friends did a small planning to try to maintain the line. The seeds they received were from the first generation done in California since 1974. Then they reproduced 12 individuals together in a first step and kept 6 seeds to reproduce them with 19 of the progeny in a second step. The strain was dramatically stable. I have seeds resulting from the cross between the 6 first generation and the 19 second generation.

This Panama red '74 was also used as parental line by the spanish collective ACE Seeds to breed their Panama strain. But I think they mostly used their Panama green and a modern Panama landrace to do their work. However, some red phenos appear in their line.

This Panama '74 is a great line, with a very interesting high, quite potent. I believe that it is at least an old colombian red line, if not the true Panama red. Always hard to know after all these years [​IMG] Some people believe it produces too much for an old school landrace, honestly I don't know. The guy who made the biggest buds in our group has the same effect on all landraces he tried, so I suppose it is just because he is a great grower.

Here are some pics of the Panama in vegetative stage

PanamaVeg1.jpg

PanamaVeg3.jpg

Mutt, tcbud and KGB30 like this.
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #3

John Public

John Public

John Public

Humble grower

And here are some pics of Panama flowers :)

PanamaFlowers1.jpg

PanamaFlowers2.jpg

PanamaFlowers3.jpg

PanamaFlowers4.jpg

PanamaFlowers5.jpg

PanamaFlowers6.jpg

PanamaFlowers7.jpg

PanamaFlowers8.jpg

bombbudpuffa, tcbud and KGB30 like this.
  4. Jun 25, 2008 #4

Mutt

Mutt

Mutt

Just a Dawg

absolutely gorgeous.
    Senstive plant to grow? and how were they grown? organic or chem?

John Public likes this.
  5. Jun 25, 2008 #5

KGB30

KGB30

KGB30

California Medical Card P

Man I know it's morning time but DAM John Paul you make my lips wet with those ladies.:ccc: :bolt: :headbang2: :bong: :joint: :bongin: :afroweed: :bong1: :afroweed: :lama:

John Public likes this.
  6. Jun 25, 2008 #6

John Public

John Public

John Public

Humble grower

Thank you KGB :)

Mutt, there are pics of two grows here: one with 250 MH for veg and 250W HPS for flowering, in a small closet (0.6mx0.9mx1.25m), in commercial soil, with sparse fertilizer (twice in veg, 20-20-20 et three times in flowering, 4-6-6). The other with 250 MH for veg and 430W HPS for flowering, in a medium closet (0.9mx0.9mx1.9m) with similar fertilizer (maybe a bit more) and same kind of soil.

She is not the hardest sativa to grow but is still a sativa, so you've to be careful with fertilizer and with overwatering. For example, the smallest grow was done with tap water at the beginning but soon, they became disturbed by it, had to use mineral water to finish the grow.

Mutt and KGB30 like this.
  7. Jun 25, 2008 #7

KGB30

KGB30

KGB30

California Medical Card P

I've read that Sativas grow better out doors then Indica because Indica does grow better Indoors is this true or not.

Doesn't Sativas take longer to grow & flower?

8. Jun 25, 2008 #8

tcbud

tcbud

tcbud

wonderful pics....panama red brings back memories of the early years....that and a post about acapolco gold, then there was the oxacan, then the columbian pushed those three varietys to the background by the beginning eighties, and of course.....sensimillia.. then came on the scene....i remember getting a "lid" of panama red for the premium price of $25 ....that was way more than the usual $10 for a "lid", but if i remember correctly...it was some awesome weed for that time.

maybe i bought some that came under the Golden Gate, cause i was living down there then....in the east bay....in Santana's home town.

KGB30 and John Public like this.
  9. Jun 25, 2008 #9

ChatNoir

ChatNoir

ChatNoir

That is lovely! I can put it in my living room and watch it and get high!

KGB30 likes this.
  10. Jun 26, 2008 #10

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

How's the Panama Red smoke? High, taste, smell, potency, etc.

11. Jun 26, 2008 #11

lyfr

lyfr

lyfr

dead

that was wonderful reading LG. sounds like i missed it by just a couple years. i remember hearing stories about it when i was a teen. it was sort of like a bigfoot legend to us. over the years ive learned that it was no fantasy...it was def real. some day i may be so lucky to smoke some!

12. Jun 26, 2008 #12

John Public

John Public

John Public

Humble grower

Smell is particular, don't know if it is due to the curing method, somewhere between earthy, rotten and fruity. The taste was earthy, smoke was thick. The high is powerful and longlasting. It is great to smoke with friends, and is also interesting alone. First part is like an explosion and second part is like a deep meditation effect. Something like "boooom, pssschchhhhh, waouuuuu, ahahahahahaha" first and then "Lord, was I high, what does it mean?What is this plant?" if it makes sense. ;)

It is always hard to judge potency, it is so subjective, maybe I just smoked too much of it at a time, but I heard similar reports from friends so....Many long term smokers can not use it all day long as they would with other lines such as thai or jamaican. At least, you always have the deep part of the smoke. Not at all like a sedative strain or an indica, it is a real sativa high, but deep instead of irie like could be an indian, a jamaican or a thai. There is no ceiling in this deep, you can smoke more and you'll go deeper, but be careful, you won't fall asleep and you'll have to take on it ! :)

You have understood I like it ;)

Mutt and KGB30 like this.
  13. Jun 26, 2008 #13

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

That sounds amazing. Is it the greatest strain you ever had? Is it better than or on par with Vietnamese Black or African Black Magic in terms of a trippy psychedelic high?

14. Jun 27, 2008 #14

John Public

John Public

John Public

Humble grower

I never grown myself the VB but I have heard a report saying it has some phenotypes that are really crazzy potent ! I don't know better the famous Black Magic African. My experience with African strains is limited to Malawi, Ethiopia, South Africa and also a strain called Dark African (but is not Black Magic), a friend called it Dark because of the dark green foliage and it is most probably a Malawi or a Kenyan. So I can not answer your question ! I don't know people that have grown one of these strains (VB or BMA) and the Panama red '74.

I can't tell if it is the better I had lol I love them all ! I try to find 'chemotypes' of strains and then pick the best I have in each spectra. In the 'deep' department, the Panama red '74 is my best one for sure ! But I love also the 'funkapsychedelicospeedy department' (Indian), the 'roots'n'irie' department (Jamaican), the 'high in the sky' department (Ethiopia and Thai), the 'sedative' department (BSC Colombian gold and Nepal), the 'incense' department (Hawaiian and Dark African), the 'kick up your ***' department (Mexican and Celestial Temple).....

:holysheep: hehehehehe I love them all, this is like music, when it is good, it is good, whatever the style! :smoke1:

Legendary Genetics likes this.
  15. Jun 27, 2008 #15

TechAdmin

TechAdmin

TechAdmin

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

oh very nice pictures. thanks

John Public likes this.
  16. Jun 29, 2008 #16

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

Vietnamese Black usually only shows two phenotypes. The high is scary at first, it takes some getting use to. From what I heard from someone who has smoked both was that Panama Red is a more trippy but a more comfortable enjoyable high. Is what he said about the Panama Red true?

17. Jul 22, 2008 #17

tashido

tashido

tashido

Personally , i live in panama city , There aren't any panama red growers here and panam red Never comes through this area. Good luck finding a "pure" original strain of panama red if you find it let me know I also would love to buy some seeds or clones.

18. Jul 24, 2008 #18

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

Legendary Genetics

Have you tried looking in the foothills to the north of the Panama Canal?