par meters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankHobbyist

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with par meters? Trying to find good one fheap but want accuracy and quality to last. So far found sun systems handheld par meter for 240+shipping and also have hydro farm one for 140 are these both junk or merely footcandle to par conversions? How long do these things last? How do you calibrate?
Hoping to get strong feedback before Friday (sales over)

Why exactly do you feel you need one? That is a real chunk of money to spend on something to measure light?

Mix plasma and hps light the way I want. And because I like sexy tech:) price- can't best it! 240 for sun system par meter is great price.

Get what you pay for cheap ones <$150 measure footcandles . Or how bright it is. Units that are >$150 measure in umol. Which is part of plant useable light. or par.

Unless you have a use for one down the road building lights or the like, I would just go with something like this.

For HPS it is "close" enough and cheap enough.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter-Digital-Illuminance-Light-LX1330B/dp/B005A0ETXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417799216&sr=8-2&keywords=par+meter[/ame]

This is what I own, but I build lights and also needed to test salt water reef tanks.
http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/mq-200-quantum-separate-sensor-with-handheld-meter/

I do agree with others though, unless you have a real need, I'd just go low budget and get er close.

Would this benefit helping me balance hps/plasma light 70/30. This is reason I was wanting to purchase this.

Is that worth spending that kind of money on? I'm with multi that that money could probably be better spent on your space.....

I love cool gadgets as much as anyone, and this can be a very lucrative business if you know what you're doing, but I have to side with umbra on this..

An EC Meter, a pH Meter, a dbA Meter, a laser-temp Meter, etc. are all excellent gadgets and something to invest it.

But this is just a waste, especially for that price. Perhaps you can rent one? Or possibly return it after the first use?

Sound advice getting Bluelab growers Kit instead and possibly soil probe.

Latest posts

Back