Pet Peeve #681

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GanjaGuru

Reaction score
Calling the plants you take cuttings from "mothers".
The word mother in every other context means there's some sort of sexual reproduction involved (which would also means the clone would get 1/2 it's gene's from the father). The more correct term is "donor".

Clone is not an accurate word either, compared to it's general use.
A cloned frog for example, is an exact copy of the mother but seperate.
A clone in current marijuana terms is not the same thing.
A mj clone is still the donor. Seperate yes but still the same exact plant. Even a clone from a clone from a clone is still part of the original donor plant.

Possibly interesting clone trivia:
Like about 120 years ago an explorer in S. America stumbled upon a freak of nature.
A orange tree that had no way of reproduction. It's fruits were seedless.
He called it a Navel Orange.

He took a cutting and brought it back to the states and grafted it onto a "regular" orange tree, where it continued to grow and branch.
And every navel orange tree EVERY ONE on earth is from that cutting. You take a branch off a Navel Orage tree, graft it on a regular orange tree when little' you've got yourself a Navel Orange tree. Take branches off of it, graft it onto another regular orange tree stock and keep on going.
P.S. You can visit the original tree; it's in Riverside Ca.

More:
I met a guy who had the most amazing 8' tall tree in his back yard.
A single tree yet he got 5 kinds of citrus fruit off that tree!
Through grafting (which is basically cloning) off that single tree he harvested 2 kinds of oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefuit.
He used strains that produced fruit at different time of the year, so there was always somethin ripe on the tree.

One more interesting factoid:
Hamsters are native to the Middle East. During WWII a U.S. soldier discovered a nest that contained a mother and about 10 babies.
in bringing them back to civilization about 1/2 the babies died.
Every hamster on earth are descendants of that batch.
Not clones, but some serious inbreeding going on there, sorta like in Kentucky (official state motto: "5 Million People, 12 Last Names").

Interesting read Guru, there is much to be learned from you! :D

I've seen those trees for sale in some garden catalogs, "the fruit cocktail tree", pretty amazing.

GanjaGuru said:
Calling the plants you take cuttings from "mothers".
The word mother in every other context means there's some sort of sexual reproduction involved (which would also means the clone would get 1/2 it's gene's from the father). The more correct term is "donor".

In this case it denotes a nurturing flesh giving mother hen type thing. I think it's appropriate.

One more interesting factoid:
Hamsters are native to the Middle East. During WWII a U.S. soldier discovered a nest that contained a mother and about 10 babies.
in bringing them back to civilization about 1/2 the babies died.
Every hamster on earth are descendants of that batch.

Okay, let me get this straight. This guy happened to stumble upon the only known example of this species IN THE WORLD? Just happened to find the only living nest. They didn't exist ANYWHERE else. Not even another mother with babies a quarter mile away. I've got a freeway for sale, cheep. Interested?

Re: hamsters.

I didn't say that the guy who discovered the nest and brought back a 1/2 dozen or so were the only ones in the world.
I said all ther hamsters in the world (maybe more correctly I should have said 99.9999%) decended from that family, that single family. Which make them ideal animals for experimentation since they have an extremely limited gene pool.
Hamsters still live in their natural state in the Middle East. But they're a relatively rare animal. They were virtually unknown until after WWII.

"In this case it denotes a nurturing flesh giving mother hen type thing. I think it's appropriate."
Mother hens require a male to make descendents.
Cuttings from donor plants don't.

I had a hamster when I was a kid. I gave it marshmellow once. It packed its side pouches with it and it swelled up pitched the hamster a fit. Funniest thing I ever seen. It lived to be 3 yrs. old. Damn things can bite like hell.

Also amazing how little of a hole they can squeeze through.

Mutt said:
I had a hamster when I was a kid. I gave it marshmellow once. It packed its side pouches with it and it swelled up pitched the hamster a fit. Funniest thing I ever seen. It lived to be 3 yrs. old. Damn things can bite like hell.

Also amazing how little of a hole they can squeeze through.
Mutt, you crack me up man!

That bite was for messin with it's little head with marshmellows! So there!

My Dad bought me a hamster when I was like 10, and a booklet on hamsters. On reading I found that the hamster I had was a female.
After awhile I felt the hamster was lonely, so I got a bigger cage and bought anothet hamster and put it in there with the 1st one, a male (although the booklet said not to do this.
I came home one day a few weeks later to find the female had killed the male and was eating it.
Upon further reading I found out that while the male always wants sex, the female only wants it occasionally. The male keeps trying to mount the female and eventually she gets pissed and kills the male.
And it's the same way with hamsters.

My pet peeve is people calling cannabis seeds "beans".
Like LEO does not know this.

Latest posts

Back