PH adjustments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve1

Reaction score
It seems one of my plants may be in a nutrient lock. I grow in OF soil. I think it's suffering from a calmag deficiency. I use RO water PH'd to 6.5 yet when I checked the runoff, the ph of the runoff was at 4. Will boosting the PH of the water going in to maybe 7 help bring up the ph of the medium I'm growing in? I've necer had to flush with soil before and I checked the calibration pf the ph meter and it is real close.

I've asked myself the same question, more than a few times. I have flushed the plants until the runoff PH matched. I had reduced yield and burned leaves from the wild PH swing.

Another time I fed it only 6.3%PH'd water with no nutes (run-off ppm also sky high / out of range) and this possibly led to lack of magnesium, as it washes out fairly easily, so again reduced yield and sickly chlorotic and then necrotic leaves.

I switched brands after that, but if I did it again, I would ignore those run-off numbers and see what happens living life as normal, considering my other two attempts and misfortunes of correcting it.

Coco, that you can definitely learn and adjust from the run-off numbers, soil, not as much, so many chemical interactions within the soil, its hard to know if it is accurate or a goose chase. Thats my 2 cents ;)

It seems one of my plants may be in a nutrient lock. I grow in OF soil. I think it's suffering from a calmag deficiency. I use RO water PH'd to 6.5 yet when I checked the runoff, the ph of the runoff was at 4. Will boosting the PH of the water going in to maybe 7 help bring up the ph of the medium I'm growing in? I've necer had to flush with soil before and I checked the calibration pf the ph meter and it is real close.

Ok let me see if I get you.. You are using fox farms of soil.
And r/o water.. What type of nutrients are you using ? If you are using all fox farms then try reducing the grow big or tiger bloom and increasing the amount of big bloom you are using.. OF soil is not meant to be used with straight r/o
And can show cal/mag problems..
Flush with bottled distilled water and back off the grow big or tiger bloom amounts by a third..

I ran fox farms entire line for years and the only problems I ever had was when I switched to r/o from well water.
Let us know how it works out for you..

Latest posts

Back