Ph and mycorrhizae

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phmaster

Reaction score
Hoping someone can shed some light on this question of mine!?

When we talk of ph in coco use we aim around the 5.8 mark but in an soil based grow it’s around 6-6.5
Now my question is wouldn’t a 5-5.8 be too acidic for bacterial life or is there some other way to substitute in coco type grows?

For reference I get my knowledge from “integral hydroponics”
PHmaster

I use pro mix #4 which is a soilless mix. I keep my ph from 5.5 to 6.5 with 6.0 being ideal. Microbes find this to be the sweet spot. However, there are plenty of microbes that live below 5.5 ph. When you ferment EM1, the way you know it is ready is when the ph hits 3.7 or lower. I have been told over and over that using a soilless mix and salt based nutes will kill microbes. Guess what? Completely wrong.
So you have a better understanding, ph is more than just a measurement of acidity. It refers to potential hydrogen and works a bit like potential energy. The biggest issue with coco is electrical charges and ion exchanging. It often appears as nute lockout or cal/mag deficiency. Myco microbes use neuro transmitters sent from the roots of plants as a signal to begin processing raw nutes into a chelated form that the plants can absorb and use. But if the electrical charges are not correct, the neuro transmitters used by the plant and the myco get lost or can not be understood by the plant

That’s makes sense now and something to look out for! Microbiology is everything

Latest posts

Back