Ph down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drnaline

Reaction score
I have heard alot of people say sulfuric acid is the thing to use to lower the Ph in water. I treat a pool daily with muriatic acid to control Ph, around 7.2-7.4 makes you feel tingly. It would appear that this too will work for treating water for consumption by your favorite plants.

I have to assume that if you can put sulfuric acid in, muriatic acid is a shoe in too? I would think is also safer to work with. Anyone have personal info on how muriatic acts with Marryjane?

muriatic acid is very powerful and im not sure its as safe for your plants. sulfuric acid sounds bad but its main use is in the production of fertilizers for plants. I think the muriatic may not rinse out as well and if I'm not mistaken its used mostly for cleaning concrete

I buy my sulfuric acid from the auto-parts store and water it down so that it takes about one ounce to change the pH one decimal point.

It works great and it's way less cost than the fancy pH down stuff.

If I need to go pH Up, I use baking soda dissolved in warm water.

I too treat our18,500 gallon pool. and I tried to use the ph down on my plants and it burned them up right off the bat. I would not do it IMO.

Molasses will bring your PH down and its not a chemical based product.

I have never heard of molasses being used as pH down....

I hadn't either, until a few days ago...not sure who said it worked though! I had the impression food-based items weren't stable for using as PH buffers?

I noticed one day when checking my PH after adding molasses it dropped from 6.7 to 3.8. Never checked ph after adding molasses. Was noticing def. in my plants after starting to use molasses figured it was a lockout from bad ph and this is the only thing I add to my plants besides Bat Poo everything else is in the soil. now I adjust PH after adding molasses thing are back to normal.

hxxp://www.davidwalbert.com/2010/08/20/whats-really-in-the-molasses/

Thanks Hick, Good read now I want some cookies.

StoneyBud said:
I buy my sulfuric acid from the auto-parts store and water it down so that it takes about one ounce to change the pH one decimal point.

It works great and it's way less cost than the fancy pH down stuff.

If I need to go pH Up, I use baking soda dissolved in warm water.
:yeahthat:

From the DIY forum.

Protekt from Dyna-Gro, a silica supplement, is sometimes used as a pH-Up. It is waaay alkaline.

Wet

Latest posts

Back