Ph down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bong Puller

President Relaxation USA
Reaction score
I am out of Ph down, I do however have some older aquarium ph down with the label worn to the point I cant read the active. It isnt expired yet. Can it be used? What is the active ingredient?
Thanks,
B.P. sodium phosphate-monobasic is what I found to be in most, is that the same as sulfuric acid er no?

Im not sure about that but I have heard of people using some kind of vinegar for ph down. Im sure someone else will speak up.

white vinager and Lemon juice will lower PH but doesnt hold it...Get to a Hydro shop and get some..Ive read some peeps use Meratic acid as a PH adjuster...another thing Ive noticed is that "mollassess"(sp) drops PH as well..

take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

If it doesnt hurt fish it probably wont hurt plants as a temporary thing its probably fine, jmo

I used ph down for a hot tub/spa and it didn't hurt it.. Just gotta be careful with how many lil salt rockin lookin thigns ya add.

Anything high is nitrogen will also lower PH

You can also check with the autoparts stores for battery acid which is sulferic acid. Many of the hardware stores or home building diy stores(lowes, home depot) carry muratic acid because it is used to clean bricks. Just mix them generously with water to dilute them to about 10:1 then check ph. Do not add any of that stuff straight to your nute solution dilute it first and get the ph to a reasonable level.

Are you serious Hushpuppy? That screams bad idea to me and maybe cancer or lung infection.

Thanks guys but no thanks to the batt. acid. :ignore: I'll leave that to the pros, thanks for the tip though!
I've used the aquarium drops for a few days now and it seems to work fine. I'm not close to any shops so my online order should be in tomorrow or the next day.
Good tidings to all,
Bong

maineharvest said:
Are you serious Hushpuppy? That screams bad idea to me and maybe cancer or lung infection.
I'm serious as lung cancer :hubba: No really, you can use those. Do you know the most common place to find sulferic acid? Ever have acid indigestion? That's right, in yer stomach. :) The key to both of these naturally occuring chemicals is dilution. I think the common PH down used in hydroponics is nitric acid. citric acid is in all of the citris fruit juices. We take salacyllic acid for headaches(asprin). :)

Acids and alkalids are just concentrations of chemicals that have either low ph or high ph. but you do have to make sure that it is a chemical that is common to soil conditions and conducive to vegatative growth. Sulfer is a chemical that is commonly used by the plants that we enjoy. :)

Not tryin to be a smart a** but we often forget about all of the chemicals that we come into contact with every day. Like the lime that is so important for our gardens is also important for making concrete and cement that is used in brick walls. :)

Be sure to get battery acid and not battery fluid

I am trying to grow completely organic. I had a problem with too high a PH with my water, when I was not feeding. I started making a tea, with Peat moss, and it brought my 8.5ph water, to an acceptable 6.5ph.

HomieHogleg

HomieHogleg said:
I am trying to grow completely organic. I had a problem with too high a PH with my water, when I was not feeding. I started making a tea, with Peat moss, and it brought my 8.5ph water, to an acceptable 6.5ph.

HomieHogleg

although i dont believe in ph'ing anything when growing in good dirt , i like the idea of using peat to lower the ph , thats as organic as it gets. :D

the dirt wont hold that ph , but its still a good idea for the ph guys.

soil :icon_smile:

pcduck said:
Be sure to get battery acid and not battery fluid
:yeahthat:

Look in the DIY section for a complete tutorial on how to do it. There is a big thread.

Simple, cheap and effective.

Wet

Latest posts

Back