PH for your babies....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganjier

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I use a Blue Lab PH pen that is calibrated. So, I usually pour my mixed/ppm'd nutrient mix in a 1 gallon jug. I then pour a small amount into a solo cup to check ph. When I place my pen into the nutrient mix my pen's digital number stabilizes. Now...if I stir the pen in the nutrient mix my ph will change, the more I stir the more it changes until it stabilizes again. Should I stop stirring my pen in the nutrient solution and go by the first number? Or stir until the digital reader stops?

Also, I notice if I adjust my ph with up or down, If I check right away I get different results if I let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Does ph fluctuate normally? Thanks.

did you say you pre mix your nutes prior to adding them to the water...I have the same pen and mine flutters as I call it...I've found that stirring the mix after it's blended with my pen for 10 seconds...that's the critical number according to blulab...

did you say you pre mix your nutes prior to adding them to the water...I have the same pen and mine flutters as I call it...I've found that stirring the mix after it's blended with my pen for 10 seconds...that's the critical number according to blulab...
I pour them into the full water jug seperatly before shaking. Then Ill pour it into a solo cup to measure, stir 3 or 4 times and send it if ph is in range. Just want to make sure. I always feel like I am off on my ph this current grow. I did just recalibrate for good measure with 4.0 and 7.0. Check mark is present.

you do know if you're nutes are mixed together and not in the water you run a great risk of nute lock...I forgot which nutes you use but gH says NEVER pre mix anything, always in water to let it buffer itself...

Yeah, I add my calmag and nutrients into a 1 gallon jug, then shake the ish out of it. Then Ill pour it into a solo cup to measure, stir 3 or 4 times and send it. Just want to make sure. I always feel like I am off on my ph this current grow. I did just recalibrate for good measure with 4.0 and 7.0. Check mark is present.

you do know if you're nutes are mixed together and not in the water you run a great risk of nute lock...I forgot which nutes you use but gH says NEVER pre mix anything, always in water to let it buffer itself...
I edited my last reply because this doobie has me ripped. Yes I add it to my water 1 at a time, (I do not stir though separately) and then shake together at once. Then add ph up or down if needed.

read the instructions...each component of the mix needs to be mixed upon application into the water or the result can be nute lock which can toss y our plants into a tailspin...

read the instructions...each component of the mix needs to be mixed upon application into the water or the result can be nute lock which can toss y our plants into a tailspin...
I will start shaking independently. TY.

Shaken.. and stirred. 😁

I always stir my pen, or shake it around in the solution, same difference. I had a Blue Lab meter at one time and I really wasn't all that happy with it. It was talked up a lot by other growers but.. meh. I'm really happy with my Apera pen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOIQE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As long as I keep it calibrated, I get a final reading with it faster than I ever did with the Blue Lab and, judging by what my plants are telling me, it seems to be very accurate.
I actually had the $50 Apera pen before this one, and was happy with it, but, when I took a year off from growing I forgot to maintain it and it seemed to have gone bad on me so, I bought the $80 one this time so I'd have the ability to just replace the probe if there was an issue. At this point, I don't see myself using anything else.

Latest posts

Back