pH in the soil VS. pH in the water Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZshwagg

Reaction score
Okay, I went and bought a pH pen for the water so I could adjust the pH when I was adding the nutes to my plants. But I hear people asking about the pH in the soil. My question is:

- Can you change the pH in the soil by adjusting the pH in the water?
- Is there a good way to check the pH in your soil?
- If so what Kind of brands of pH soil pens do you recomend, includeing pH uppers and Downers for soil.

Az..I usually rely om the ph of my water/feeding to do any minor adjustments. 1tbsp of lime per gallon of soil/medium mixed well, when you pot will eliminate thhe problem. Lime stabalizes you ph at or near 7.0. This makes it relatively easy to adjust it slightly a few tenths.

c/p
Many ornamental plants and some fruit plants such as blueberries require slightly to strongly acid soil. These species develop iron chlorosis when grown in soils in the alkaline range. Iron chlorosis is often confused with nitrogen deficiency because the symptoms (a definite yellowing of the leaves) are similar. Iron chlorosis can be corrected by reducing the soil pH value.

Two materials commonly used for lowering the soil pH are aluminum sulfate and sulfur. These can be found at a garden supply center. Aluminum sulfate will change the soil pH instantly because the aluminum produces the acidity as soon as it dissolves in the soil. Sulfur, however, requires some time for the conversion to sulfuric acid with the aid of soil bacteria. The conversion rate of the sulfur is dependent on the fineness of the sulfur, the amount of soil moisture, soil temperature and the presence of the bacteria. Depending on these factors, the conversion rate of sulfur may be very slow and take several months if the conditions are not ideal. For this reason, most people use the aluminum sulfate.

Both materials should be worked into the soil after application to be most effective. If these materials are in contact with plant leaves as when applied to a lawn, they should be washed off the leaves immediately after application or a damaging leaf burn may result. Take extreme care not to over-apply the aluminum sulfate or the sulfur.

heres a link..http://landscaping.about.com/gi/dyn...ttp://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/lowerpH.html..

Latest posts

Back