pH issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emuman

Reaction score
yesterday I stopped off at the local hydro garden shop, I picked up a soil pH tester and a General Hydroponics pH control kit, turns out my soil pH is higher than 8.5 and my tap water ph is higher than 8.5, now the kit comes with pH up and pH down, is adjusting my tap water pH before I water all I need to do to fix this?

Should do the trick, just don't change it too much to fast...

What kind of soil are you using that it has a ph that high? I don't ever check the ph of my soil...I use MG seed Starter mix and everything that goes in (feed and water) gets ph'd to 6.5. You need a good ph meter for liquids not those crappy soil ph meters that Agent Orange and Lowes sells...jmo

I test my run off but that just generally for the nutrients my ph always stays the same most the time

Hamster Lewis said:
What kind of soil are you using that it has a ph that high? I don't ever check the ph of my soil...I use MG seed Starter mix and everything that goes in (feed and water) gets ph'd to 6.5. You need a good ph meter for liquids not those crappy soil ph meters that Agent Orange and Lowes sells...jmo

the soil is a mix of "store brand" potting soil and MG pearlite, to test water i used the drops that came with the pH controll kit, the soil meter is a cheap 3in1 pH/ moisture/ light meter but it seems to work

Yeah those 3 in 1 meters are garbage...sorry to say it but it is true...at least they are garbage when it comes to growing our beloved plant.

Checkout this site>>>>eseasongear.com

agreed, soil testers are no good, if you have a good water ph meter, your soil will fall in line due to being watered with proper PH'd water.

dman1234 said:
...your soil will fall in line due to being watered with proper PH'd water.

thats what I was hoping to hear

dman1234 said:
agreed, soil testers are no good, if you have a good water ph meter, your soil will fall in line due to being watered with proper PH'd water.

:aok:

howevr the moister meter I find to be very helpful

I would confirm the PH before I do much if the plants have good healthy growth. The probe soil ph meter are as close as you can get to worthless. purple cabbage juice or drops are better.

ozzydiodude said:
I would confirm the PH before I do much if the plants have good healthy growth. The probe soil ph meter are as close as you can get to worthless. purple cabbage juice or drops are better.

my plants look magnesium deficient, the leaves are turning yellow and falling off, as for the soil tester, it was cheap but I got it more for the moisture gauge than anything else(I am a habitual over waterer) the general hydroponics ph control kit color coded scale only goes up to 8.5, and it took 20ml of pH down to lower 1 gallon of tap water from ^8.5 to about 6, we'll see how it goes from here

I actually believe those pH probes are worse than useless, as some believe the readings and adjust their pH based on that. I really cannot believe they can keep selling those. Also, IMO, the color scale thing is just not accurate enough either. There are inexpensive digital pH meters that work well.

Latest posts

Back