pH issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo

old goat
Reaction score
it's been a hot minute since I checked my runoff in flower...I just checked it and am seeing very low numbers for the runoff...4.9 in what I'm finding...I will flush when the plants get a bit dryer but my question is the following...should I flush with a higher pH to raise the numbers or use plain water and work on the pH from there...I've been seeing funky looking leaves browning out so I'm assuming this is the issue...how do you guys raise the soil pH...

gotta find out what is in your soil that is lowering the Ph

didnt SubGirl recently deal with the same issue of low Ph runoff?….I cannot recall what was causing her problem

do you have any idea what is causing it to drop?…… nutrients?…..

and I am guessing you Ph your water going in…..what do you usually run as far as the Ph?

but yeah , in the meantime I would definitely use a higher Ph going forward

Why is my Runoff pH Low?​

Low runoff pH usually comes from 3 things. One is microbial growth in the substrate. This growth can come from beneficial bacteria and fungi as well as serious problems like root diseases.
If your plants don’t look healthy, have poor drainage or are over-watered, root diseases could be the problem and proper fixes should be implemented quickly.

The second reason for low pH is your plants are favoring cations over anions. Cations are positively charged elements in your nutrient solution and Calcium and Potassium are the major ones. If your low pH is caused by absorption, increasing Nitrogen (Grow) can help with increasing the pH of the root zone.

The third reason relates to amendments and substrate buffers. Depending on what you’re growing in, different substrates can have a strong influence on the pH of the root zone. Something like peat moss is naturally acidic (4-5 pH).

Amendments like dolomite lime are used to increase the pH of the peat and make it much more root zone friendly. Over time these amendments, like dolomite, will break down and the peat moss will become acidic again. Substrate buffers are very strong and in a situation like this, a re-amendment with something like dolomite lime or oyster flour is usually necessary.

From @SubmarineGirl post #88

Took the plants outside to give them a little flush with high ph water until I finally got a run off of just over 6.0. Started with PH 7.0 then filled the bucket again with PH 8.0. Had to run 3 gallons of water thru plants two quarts at a time before I got a run off of just around 6.0. Decided that was enough for now. Will check them again at next feeding. This was my first attempt of trying to adjust the PH. Don’t understand why the PH is low tho…

I'm in promix and have done nothing to change my feedings...I'm noticing some strains aren't as happy as I'd like them to be...leaves in both flower and veg show funk here and there, nothing I can point my finger at and say specifically has caused an issue...I was planning to do what subbie has just
done but I want to know what caused it and how...the promix bx has plenty of myco and 90% of the plants look stellar, can't wrap my noggin around why a few are effected and most other are fine... :rolleyes:

I'm in promix and have done nothing to change my feedings...I'm noticing some strains aren't as happy as I'd like them to be...leaves in both flower and veg show funk here and there, nothing I can point my finger at and say specifically has caused an issue...I was planning to do what subbie has just
done but I want to know what caused it and how...the promix bx has plenty of myco and 90% of the plants look stellar, can't wrap my noggin around why a few are effected and most other are fine... :rolleyes:

I have a few outdoor plants that are weak compared to the rest……dead fan leaves , very slow growth , not turgid or healthy looking at all

the seeds were selfed using colloidal silver

sometimes I wonder if those selfed seeds have inferior genetics because of the man made manipulations?

big, I have mebbe 8 strains in veg waiting to be flipped and thing that any one would be welcome in most grows, they are close to stunning and show no issues, wedding cake for some reason just hates me...a good flush makes sense...I pH in @6.2 most all the time, mebbe 6.0...4.9 out after feeding isn't healthy

tell me about it

three years ago we lost 90% of our crop due to an infestation of aphids the likes I have never seen , spider mites , and a couple of sever hail storms and kaput!

we had to outsource our meds , good thing we know some excellent indoor growers in Denver

i didn’t want that to happen again so we blew it up two yrs ago and are enjoying the fruits of our labor with a 30+ pound harvest

now we just need different flavors to break up the monotony

couple days of flushing with higher Ph water should get you back on track

I'm thinking well water, it's pretty high in pH hence the RO I use...what do you think, wait until the promix is a bit dry or hose the bejesus out of them tomorrow...

bump...hello, anyone home...
I had to lower mine. I just flushed with water I ph'd to 5.9 or so. I had been watering with 8.8ish water, unknown to me at the time.

I guess if mine was to low I would do a similar flush, 6ish PH?

Once I added Advanced Nutes PH went down to 5.8 or so. This is What I find to be typical with these nutes.

I’m with ya boo. I never did get a handle on it but have since started randomly checking PH runoff now that I know I can change it. I just had one plant out of four that didn’t do well in the flower tent. Hardly bloomed at all when her sister from the same exact seed has Perfect buds right beside it. All PH was 6.5 in all pots. My flower tent did suffer some stress this go around so I just attributed it to that.

I put through a gallon of water for every gallon of dirt. I need to water these with plain water for a couple more weeks so I will be ph adjusting water until nute time.

Bubba

Hi boo. According to some recent readings i did, root rot causes acids to be released into the medium that could cause this. I hope not. good luck.

I didn't chime in because I wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. My hydro grows are kept at 5.8. One tenth high or low for a day or two doesn't bother me.
Outdoor grow is done in a very rich homemade organic soil. Water comes from the sky or the well. Well comes out at around 7.0. I let nature take care of the whole deal. So far, so good.

Latest posts

Back