PH meter calibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazmaine420

Reaction score
I got a ph meter a few weeks ago and am not clear on how to "recalibrate".
The instructions say to "insert into a ph buffer solution of 4,7 or 10". What exactly is a buffer solution? Which number should I calibrate to? I assume I have to make this solution so how do I test it if not with the ph meter. I grow in coco so I test for 5.8-6.0. Any input would be great, thanks.

You have to buy the solution. Some meters only calibrate to 7. Others like mine calibrate both to 7 and 4. I bought the calibration solution on Amazon.

You should get ph4 and Ph 7 and then you will have to follow the manufacturers proceedure for calibration. If you do not know it you can usually find it on google for your meter.

Thanks guys. So I should calibrate to both 4 and 7? If i put the meter in the 7 and it tests at 7 does it need recalibration? And calibrating to both 4 and 7 isnt contradicting each other?

You only calibrate to 4 and 7 if your meter has both of those calibration screws. On your meter there should be either a screw for a small screw driver or a dial. Mine has two dials. One says 4 the other says 7. I put my meter into the 7 solution and then wait a minute and check the reading. If it is higher than 7 I turn the know till it reads 7. If it is lower I turn it the other way till it reads 7. Same with the 4 knob.

It depends on the meter that you have as to how you go about calibrating it. Some have adjustment screws, while others are done digitally. With the Bluelab pens, you have to go through a procedure as they don't have the adjustment screws.

Most of the pH meters have a high and low calibration so they are more accurate at each extreme. Calibrating both settings is very critical to it reading right. If you have both calibration solutions and the meter hold right on what the solutions say, then it is in calibration and doesn't need to be recalibrated.

What kind of meter do you have?

Chazmaine, you really need to read the directions that came with your ph meter.

Keep in mind there are also specific storage directions. If you let that pen dry out it will be toast.

they usually do send like a tiny lil packet of storage liquid until you can get your own but yes apparently you do have to care for the babies in order for them to last just got mine about a week ago

Thanks again. This is what i have HMDPHM80 Digital pH/Temperature Meter. I have actually read the directions and they are a bit vague thus my confusion. I have ordered the ph 7 solution. No screws on this just buttons. Should have it figured out tomorrow when the solution arrives.

You will probably need to do it like this. Put the meter in calibration mode. It will ask you to put it in the ph 7, after a few seconds it will ask you for the ph4, then exit calibration mode. I would recommend storage solution or atleast distiled water.

You will probably need to do it like this. Put the meter in calibration mode. It will ask you to put it in the ph 7, after a few seconds it will ask you for the ph4, then exit calibration mode. I would recommend storage solution or atleast distiled water.
That's one of the things I like about the BlueLab pens. You can use the ph4.0 for the storage solution. No extra costs:)

For the HM models, turn on PH meter, and dip into 7.0 solution. Hit and hold CAL until it flashes. Then hit ENTER. When it's calibrated it will display END.

I think the calibration instructions are on the back of the meter, no?

Most of the pH meters that I have seen say to NOT use distilled water for storage solution, but you can use the 4.0 solution ffor storage on the ones that I have seen. As always, check the directions or on the manufacturer website. :)

Latest posts

Back