PH testing question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPuffAlot

Green thumb in training
Reaction score
Ok

ive looked all over. And most if not all PH testers are for hydroponics.
where you can actually take samples of water to test.

since im doing Organic (soil)
HOW DO I TEST for PH??? from the soil???

is PH an issue with organic??

Does the PH in soil tend to go High or low??
Want to know which I should buy, ph up or ph down.

once again.. thanks

they way i test my soil ph is quite simple. what i do is test the ph of my water. i water my plants then catch the first run off of water. then check the ph of my run off water. the ph should be close to the ph of the water before you watered.

if your ph is off, just dig a few inches of soil out, add lime and give it a good watering. recheck in a few days and you should be all good.

dozer42 said:
they way i test my soil ph is quite simple. what i do is test the ph of my water. i water my plants then catch the first run off of water. then check the ph of my run off water. the ph should be close to the ph of the water before you watered.

if your ph is off, just dig a few inches of soil out, add lime and give it a good watering. recheck in a few days and you should be all good.

Dozer thank you for your response.

So you :

1. check the PH of the water you are adding.
- is that with or with out Nutes?? or just plain water.
- If the water you tested, is off high or low. Do you adjust the
PH of the water you are GOING to add??

2. SO you test the PH of the water, that is draining from the POT.
- If the PH is high or low
- do you adjust the ph of the new water you are adding??

3. When you say lime, Do you mean the lime you get at the store
that you add to the lawn???
- You add Lime when PH is what?? High or LOW??
- What if the PH is the other way, what would you add? that would
be opposite to lime?? my dog urine? haha

Thanks

Also, what do you use to test your PH??

The PH Test paper?? or the Vial and drop(swimming pool) type??

Hey Puff, mind if I chime in.
Lime is more of a buffer than adjuster. I add it to all soil. about 1 tbsp.

I have a pool, and the test kit tells ya if its in range for a pool (low correct hi) no numbers :mad: . In the auquraium section they have test strips that have the # value on the back. If you get a kit make sure the instructions have the PH # value on it.

You always check you water out of the tap. It is also a good idea to have it tested for hardness (local nurseries and garden places will do it for ya). When testing the PH of the run-off you should use just straight water. Then you'll have a reference for the soil.

Most hydro storse have a PH meter on a stick and you just slide it is your soil. I have never used these so don't know how acurate they are. Anyone else use these?

Mutt said:
Hey Puff, mind if I chime in.
Lime is more of a buffer than adjuster. I add it to all soil. about 1 tbsp.

I have a pool, and the test kit tells ya if its in range for a pool (low correct hi) no numbers :mad: . In the auquraium section they have test strips that have the # value on the back. If you get a kit make sure the instructions have the PH # value on it.

You always check you water out of the tap. It is also a good idea to have it tested for hardness (local nurseries and garden places will do it for ya). When testing the PH of the run-off you should use just straight water. Then you'll have a reference for the soil.

Ph from a pool Kit, Yea, I didn't think about that and I check my Pool always ! This might sound alittle off the wall but I have Tomato's about 2 feet away from the Pool and they were SICKand Almost Dieing when I got them from the Store for FREEEE. Over a few days I start seeing alittle change but not enough So by the time My Grand kids went swimming and splashed Pool water all over them and the ground they Started to Perk up alot..
Well the Pool water Hurt My Female???
I know the Ph is Good there LOL

Latest posts

Back