Ph?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JyDcoo181

Reaction score
exactly what is ph? how can i give my plants the proper ph level?
thx 2 any1 who can help

ok i wanna give my babies the best possible chance to get mature and get good results? i dont get the ph levels? is it just the toxins, nutrients in the soil? etc.....? how can i give my plants the proper levels when there outside? peace and love yall.....be safe

PH refers to the alkalinity or acidity.

"The concentration of hydrogen ions is commonly expressed in terms of the pH scale. Low pH corresponds to high hydrogen ion concentration and vice versa. A substance that when added to water increases the concentration of hydrogen ions(lowers the pH) is called an acid. A substance that reduces the concentration of hydrogen ions(raises the pH) is called a base. Finally some substances enable solutions to resist pH changes when an acid or base is added. Such substances are called buffers. Buffers are very important in helping organisms maintain a relatively constant pH."http://staff.jccc.net/PDECELL/chemistry/phscale.html

no not necessairly....you dont want a ph over 7.2, i try to stay around a 6.5-6.8 in soil and 5.4-5.8 in hydro( in dro some strains at even a lower ph)....if you add dolomite lime to the soil before you plant it will help act as a buffer when the ph starts to fluctuate. by checking feedwater before you give it to the plant and by flushing every month or so with ph balanced water this will help you know what the ph in the soil is doing around the rootzone. if you dont know the waters ph your giving them it could be CRAZY hi/low in the soil after you feed.only by balancing feed water before you give it to them will you know at least where the ph is when you fed them. as the plant uses the nutrients it will make the ph drop and rise. if the plant was in a container then all you have to do is check the feed waters runoff and then you know abouts what the ph is looking like after the feed and whats going on in the rootzone. if the runoff is high, lower the feed water solution down under the 6.5-6.8 zone....if its low do the opposite. try this instead of just feeding it with MORE of a balanced 6.5-6.8 solution....if you understand what im saying.:cool:

hope this helps.

TOA

You did ask, so here is the chemistry lesson

pH is an abbreviation of the ´power of Hydrogen´

It is defined as the negative of the power to the base 10 of the concentration of hydrogen ions in an aqueous solution.

Pure water has a concentration of 10e-7 (10 to the power -7) grams per litre of hydrogen ions. Take the negative of this power and we get a pH of 7. Which most of you know is the pH of a neutral solution, which pure water is.

Take a weak acid which has a concentration of hydrogen ions ten times greater, 10e-6 grams per litre. The pH of this weak acid is 6.

Take a weak alkali which has a concentration of hydrogen ions ten times less than pure water, 10e-8 grams per litre. The pH of this weak alkali is 8.

As we get increasingly acid, pH drops, increasingly alkali, pH increases.

Latest posts

Back