Pheno Hunting 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganjier

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am starting my first pheno hunt! I am super excited as I have never done this before, and I love challenges and surprises.
I am starting my 3rd week in veg, and am placing my babies into 2 gallon coco/perlite pots soon. These will be the Banana Cream Cake X jealousy X with White Truffle female seeds. I have 5 plants to choose from as my space is limited.

I am wondering what is it I should be looking for in the early stages of veg. Short node spacing, handling the feeding I am giving them, colors in stem? I don't know. Any pointers along the journey will be appreciated.

I will keep a journal of this here as the grow proceeds to help others that may be interested down the road.

Thanks yall!

enjoy the search

your strain sounds like a poly hybrid

i would familiarize myself with the traits of each strain and the ones i would like

then just look for those traits as your plant grows

lots of traits to choose from , smell , taste , yield , bag appeal , etc etc……

i would also take a couple cuttings from each plant and set them aside for future use….if possible cause you never know what one throws away until one has smoked it…..

of course all this depends upon your space

all the best

Early veg I look for structure, vigor, stress tolerance like how they react to training etc.
I am keeping an eye on things. #5 looks like it has a great structure so far, but they are only in solo cups. I transplant as soon as my coco/perlite shows up. I'll give them a week or so in their new fabric pots and then take some photos to see what you think. I'd like to know if what I am thinking is good structure matches yours. Thanks for being here. :)

Since I use tents, good structure for me is squat and bushy. If they really bush out when I top that's keeper material

Soooo. Today these ladies were moved out of their solo cups and placed into these 2 gallon fabric pots. So far I am liking plant #5, (front left) the best. Short, squat and loving the feedings. We shall keep an eye on you Mrs. #4

20230321_180257.jpg

I was thinking the same thing when I was transplanting! LOL

For selecting, it's all personal preference. Some will tell you the exact opposite of others

Most traditional breeders highly prioritize vigor. I personally prioritize effects, then taste/smell, then plant structure/yield, then aesthetics, and vigor last, honestly. If you do outdoor you should value bug/disease/mold resistance etc. If you're a big time breeder you should value homogenous offspring

Latest posts

Back