Photo Period Reversal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas Kid

Reaction score
After 15 days (give or take) of 12/12 under 400W HPS the 5 surviving ladies are now under 24 hours of MH (400W). How many days of 24 Hr light to suppress the flowering hormone
and/or the plant exhausts what has already been created?
Should I shift to 18/6 sooner or later?
Most of what I read is about re-veg after harvest.
Perhaps now would be a fine time to drop a few beans as I have a feeling my patience is about to be tested.

View attachment pic 10.12.2014.jpg

a few weeks to revert....you will start to see funny/weird growth with single leaf to fallow for a couple weeks than she will grow through it. some say a reveg plant becomes even better.

This is horribly stressful to the plant....would you mind if I ask why you did this?

It will probably take about 3 weeks for the plant to "shift gears" and go back to vegging. The plant will throw a bunch of single bladed leaves and slowly get back to normal.

No reason to go to 18/6 lights at all. That will just create stretch.

I don't understand your last sentence: "Perhaps now would be a fine time to drop a few beans as I have a feeling my patience is about to be tested."

if you need to salvage a phenotype, it does make sense, I only ever did it when a mother plant died during flowering. it will require time to reveg and in some cases fails to switch back and dies. IMO if you want to do this, it has to be worth it, like a mother plant which you really dont want to loose. using MH and high N fert should help

Hi THG,
Let’s start with patience, I don’t have enough. After a type A personality career, growing was supposed to be therapeutic, it certainly isn’t “free”.
So for a 3 week period of relative dormancy I will pick up another growing project or wind up chewing my fingernails (figuratively).
How is your grow box “heater” working out?

Why? I learned several things about the flowering characteristics: 2 of the plants show excellent SOG characteristics although they are nitrogen hogs.
2 look to be Scrog candidates and the last one was totally underwhelming. Later this month I will have 4 mother plants ready to go.

I thought about cloning for sexual determination but currently lack the additional grow box to control the photo period. There is also the time line.
I would have had to wait another week to clone, then 10 days for roots, 7 day veg and 10 to 15 days for determination.
The times work out about the same. If I had an additional grow area perhaps I would have used a different strategy.
I think I will mosey over to DIY and survey the options for a second area.

Hey Zem, its done. The veg nutes go in tonight. Like most things in life first comes the test, then comes the lesson

I believe that you could still have successfully taken clones from that plant. I am also a type A personality with little patience, but still don't really understand.

Make sure they are getting enough N as this encourages vegetative growth. Keep the light at 24 hours.

when i did it, i waited until after harvest, left a little of each plant from below and revegged them, of course i didn't mind to wait because i had harvested quite a grow. i only had like 1/2 survive this but it was more than i really wanted, which was to salvage the genetics and to me it was a lifesaver but if you can rebuy the same seeds, why not just resume flowering and do that or risk it until after harvest? you must have a valid reason, but I share THG's curiosity about why you want to do this? :D

I've been playing around with re-vegged plants, some I put back into 12/12 straight away, others I've let a complete re-veg take place (it takes about 3-4 weeks of 18/6).

The one's I put into 12/12 immediately end up not having any stem-vigor and pretty much grows laying down. Yield is so-so for a plant that never got above 12" tall.

The plants I revegged in 18/6 still didn't grow as well as a non-re-veg plant, but did produce more yield. I could see either way of re-vegging as an alternative for those that are growing in a tote.

I am sure that few choose this route. Pistils, deep green foliage, and purple stems and viens.
Wildly erattic growth patters (helped along by MG overdose?). Very little of the first regeneration material survives. The second pattern of the regeneration was noticable by green stem browth the leaves were of normal lime green.

View attachment clones.jpg

Nothing weird. That's what a re-vegging plant looks like. Lots of single leaves for a while.

Latest posts

Back