photoperiod electricity costs - WOW!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IKE

Reaction score
you need to circulate and clean air in 2 rooms - one veg and one grow.

For a small grow cycle room, say 4' x 4', that's at least a 400 watt HPS lite with a 400 CFM fan requirement, plus osc. fan. In summer months, you need AC to keep temps down.

Then you have the veg cycle room, say T5s with a smaller can filter fan combo plus the osc. fan and AC. With your Mom(s) in there, you will need air cleansing.

Almost seems that with the minimum electrical cost reqs., it would be better to just buy and not have the hassle. What do you think?

Ike,
many ways to look at it.
my bill went up about 80.00 a month.
The real kicker for me to grow my own. was a old time biker buddy of mine. telling me about his brothers (fellow bikers) picking ditch weed. and if it didnt get them high, they sprayed it with Raid, or Black flag bug killer.
I'll be dog gone, after he told me that. there was several times i could have sworn i tasted bug killer on the comercial weed i bought.
I No longer buy Weed.
I know mine is safe and bug killer free.

My bill went up about 80/ month also, its better than the 350/month i use to spend on street weed. im saving a small car payment by growing my own, i also just enjoy growing.

It is not as much about having bud to smoke (Though that is a big part of it), as it is learning the art of growing it and the thrills that come with it. jmo

Well, My increased power costs are only about 50 - 80 a month, which I spent way more than that buying dank weed before growing. Also, paying a bit more for electric is no where NEAR the hassle of dealing with dealers, and the waiting, and the games, and the wondering of the quality of the bud from week to week, and the chance of getting caught, and all that comes with street weed.

Nah, increased power costs that equal less than what you spent on weed in the first place is not a hassle in any way, at least not from my view. Plus I grow better weed than I could ever buy on the streets.

Yep, add up how much you buy a month and then figure that you'll save about 1/2 or more by growing...and the dope will be safer and better!

IKE said:
you need to circulate and clean air in 2 rooms - one veg and one grow.

For a small grow cycle room, say 4' x 4', that's at least a 400 watt HPS lite with a 400 CFM fan requirement, plus osc. fan. In summer months, you need AC to keep temps down.

Then you have the veg cycle room, say T5s with a smaller can filter fan combo plus the osc. fan and AC. With your Mom(s) in there, you will need air cleansing.

Almost seems that with the minimum electrical cost reqs., it would be better to just buy and not have the hassle. What do you think?

No, not even close. I can probably grow close to a pound for what it costs to buy an oz on the street.

I dont know if you guys over the pond have encountered this but a problme that can be found here is some of the gang weed, mainly orientals, give their weed a liberal sprinkling of ground glass to make it look like it is covered in trichs. Also adds a nice bit of weight too
W

I'd love to see the planet earth cost breakdown of growing a pound for the same price as a street oz., say $130.
Seeds - nutrients - clean water - PH testing - electrical cost of 2 osc. fans - 2HD lights - 2 HO fans - AC for summer months (unless you live in Alaska) soil or grow rocks - containers and all the many, many incidentals - equipment upkeep / bulb - filter replacement. And those are just the ones that first come to mind.

You seem to be discounting that you can grow multiple plants in one run which will give great harvest yields, making the math much easier to understand and follow!

When you figure that start-up cost me around $500 and my first plant alone netted me 10oz.......

IKE said:
I'd love to see the planet earth cost breakdown of growing a pound for the same price as a street oz., say $130.
Seeds - nutrients - clean water - PH testing - electrical cost of 2 osc. fans - 2HD lights - 2 HO fans - AC for summer months (unless you live in Alaska) soil or grow rocks - containers and all the many, many incidentals - equipment upkeep / bulb - filter replacement. And those are just the ones that first come to mind.

what if someone was paying 240-300 an ounce, after the initial investment it can be done.imo

IDK but knowing what is in my smoke is priceless to me.

With street weed you have know way of know what is in it or if it is treated with something that "gets you high"

First off weed that costs 130 an ounce sounds like really bad schwagg.... So come with a different number then that since I don't think any of us grow schwagg..:)

What hasn't been mentioned is that at least you can run your electric hungry HPS 12-12 with photo strains....imagine running them 20-4 for autos.....:holysheep: More cost for bud that is not up to the standards of quite a few 12-12 strains....jmo

Hamster Lewis said:
First off weed that costs 130 an ounce sounds like really bad schwagg.... So come with a different number then that since I don't think any of us grow schwagg..:)

What hasn't been mentioned is that at least you can run your electric hungry HPS 12-12 with photo strains....imagine running them 20-4 for autos.....:holysheep: More cost for bud that is not up to the standards of quite a few 12-12 strains....jmo

:yeahthat:

I wouldn't even smoke $130/oz weed, my lungs couldn't take it, it would be that bad.

Double that just for mid grade and double that again for top shelf, IF you can find it out in the sticks like I am.

LOL, one of the very few things I miss about Miami.

Wet

IKE said:

I have not seen a $130 ounce of anything decent for many many years.

Huge amounts of bud sold out on the street is grown indoors--what does it matter who grows it--the "planet earth" cost is the same. As for outdoors, you still need seeds, nutrients, water, pH testing, soil, etc, etc. I guess I don't understand your point here--I thought the question was whether it was less expensive to grow your own rather than buy it on the street and the answer is YES, it is far cheaper to grow your own.

Even at $130 an oz, it is still cheeper to grow your own. The temps here are 100 + and have been for more than two months, but we will still save close to $8000 this year, even with the added cost on the electric bill. Plus, we are smoking way better bud than that $130 an ounce Shwagg.

It costs me in general, on average, about $5 net cost/production cost per oz of the stankiest bud. My killo watt charges are only .08 a kilowatt, so that def makes a difference. However, even if it was double that, the critical part is having a dialed grow, zero, I mean zero problems throughout a cycle. And you feed your girls real heavy, maxing out yor gram per watt yield. Hope that make sense. In a nut shell, it costs way less to produce stinky bud of your own. The downside, is it tales dedication. No diff than having a child, to a point.

In south Florida one can buy and ounce of what we call MIds. Its decent weed. seeded but decent.. for $90.00 an OZ then we have crip.. ( sinsimilla) between $290.00 and $ 350.00 Where I live sometimes all you can find is sinsimila.. ( alot of ppl growing at home) Hero

IKE said:
What you are failing to take into account is the fact the most of those costs are ONE TIME ONLY costs, or recur at such long intervals as to be negligible. Once you have your lights, fans, soil, nutes, etc., you have enough to run many many plants before having to resupply nutes or replace bulbs, containers, filters etc.

There is also no accounting for the garbage you often find in street weed. Chemicals sprayed on to "enhance" the high, ground glass to "enhance" the appearance of trichs, etc. The worst I found is tiny metal shavings added to make up weight. :holysheep:

Thank you, but NO, I am never going back to buying street garbage, and the cost is just the least of my reasons.

IKE said:

So many people anymore seem to all concerned about "the planet earth cost" from everything from pets to cow farts, but what do you think the planet earth cost of our goverments 10 million watt antenna array to study the earth's ionosphere.

hxxp://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/faq.html

Think about that the next time your all proud you change a light to a cfl.

Latest posts

Back