plant count help - 600w 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

707NewGenGrower

Reaction score
im about to start 4x4 tent, air cooled, 6'' fan, 600w ps
sog in 1 gal grow bags
cant decide on 36 plants with 6 by 6 grid or 25 with 5 by 5 plant grid
my thoughts are 25 plants = better light pen, but is it worth it compared to 11 extra plants?

I think i would go with the 25 but that still may be a little to crowded not sure I don't have alot of exp with sog

I'm looking at a Lumatek or new gen Galaxy digital 600W and want to know the appropriate size for a flood table.

I have searched and read all over these and other forums and I just want to settle this once and for all.

I know the "conventional" advice is 1000W for a 4x4. But some posts I've seen say that this is core/coil advice and is made obsolete by the newer digital 600W ballasts.

Can anyone settle this for me? I'm confused.

Thanks.

Well a 600 watt puts off 80,000 lumen min. usually closer to 90,000. So with 5,000 lumens per quare foot. That means you have 16 sq. ft. of coverage. In a 4x4 area you have 16 sq. ft. so yes a 600 watt light will suffice in a 4x4 grow area.

Napoleon5 said:
I'm looking at a Lumatek or new gen Galaxy digital 600W and want to know the appropriate size for a flood table.

I have searched and read all over these and other forums and I just want to settle this once and for all.

I know the "conventional" advice is 1000W for a 4x4. But some posts I've seen say that this is core/coil advice and is made obsolete by the newer digital 600W ballasts.

Can anyone settle this for me? I'm confused.

Thanks.

I do not think anything is made obsolete by the newer digi 600W lights. They put out slightly more lumens per watt than the 1000W, but it does not make other wattages obsolete. The "conventional" advise is a min of 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 lumens for flowering. I would consider a 600W in a 4 x 4 space a minimum. I am running 2 600W in a 19.5 sq ft space.

You might want to start your own thread on this.

707NewGenGrower said:
im about to start 4x4 tent, air cooled, 6'' fan, 600w ps
sog in 1 gal grow bags
cant decide on 36 plants with 6 by 6 grid or 25 with 5 by 5 plant grid
my thoughts are 25 plants = better light pen, but is it worth it compared to 11 extra plants?

More plants does not necessarily translate to more bud. IMO, ever 25 is pushing it.

Latest posts

Back