Plant spacing for a 400 watt hps...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
Fellow Growers...

I had somewhere that the correct lumens for a 400w hps light is achieved at a circle, 3' 8" in diameter. I bought a kiddie pool which is just that size, 8 pots fit inside though I stopped using it and now set 9 pots in square shape.
I've grown 9 plants for years but I just read that Sub-Cool says:
For a 400 watt hps... 4' x 4'square,
or 16 pots!

This means I could flip them a little earlier, when they are just under 18",
and have 16 plants rather than the 9...
I've already gone from 4.5 - 5 oz per crop... to 10 - 11 oz by using supersoil,
hydrated lime in my rain water, and severe attention to p/h.
If I could have nearly double the number of plants...
Wow... I could get 3/4 lbs per crop under a 400w!

What spacing do you guys use for a 400w hps?

Thank you...

The Poet...

Last edited:
I imagine you are just about maximizing your area now. If you are growing just for tops 5 oz. from 400 watts is pretty respectable. With 600 watt hps I achieved a little over 2 oz. per sq. ft. by scrogging one plant but I vegged her for a long time. I would consider that amount of light good for around 6 sq. ft and you are getting around an oz. per sq. ft of good light with what I assume is a relatively short veg cycle. I obviously made some assumptions here but I'm pretty sure you need to step it up with the light to improve your yield . You might get more bud but your quality will suffer. Consider one of the many led lamps that consume that same 400 watts and you can double your yield with better quality. And get the added area. Otherwise, I'd say yer killin it.

St_Nick,

Alright, I have heard about 'LED's but thought they were expensive, new and changing constantly,
not really perfected yet...
But are they? I've heard a led produces 2x the light of an hps but is the light really as good?

My old hps I bought 26 years ago died and I bought a used but practically new hps for $100.
It'll last 20 years and has a better hood than my last one. I love it.
I was kinda wishing for more power, but like to keep the elec. usage as well as heat... down.

With a led, I could improve the production of 'my little eden' with no extra elec. expenditures.
Like having another 400w hps... interesting, and they are cool as well...
It may just be the time to buy a led, how much would a 400w equivalent cost?
Or should I say with no heat, a 800 watt equivalent... cost?
What brand, type, whatever do you like?
I'm all ears...

Thank you...

The Poet...

They are new and changing constantly. They can be expensive but like anything else does that mean you should stay with Windows 3 just because you like it when the new version balances your books for you? Just kidding but its like cell phones. Go to the level you like and stay there. Handmade American lights are expensive. Assembled in Amaerica is cheaper. Chinese is good but you have to expect a little less quality and possible limited lifespan. Ebay and Amazon are flooded with no name lights that are terrible. BUT,,,, When you cut through all the crap, for about $400 you can get a good mid-range led in one of about 4 configurations that should serve your space and goals. I use this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/VIPARSPECT/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 but I'm sure there are better units on the market. I just tried these and was impressed by the quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the spectrum control these lights provide and I love the fact that the fans blow away from the weed and are so quiet you can't hear 'em.

St-Nick,

I am reading this a year later, July 2019.
I realized I didn't thank you for the LED information.
$400. would be fine for a double crop.
I have a little money coming, or I will when I get out of the preverbal 'hole'.

Thank you St-Nick {a little belatedly...}

The Poet...

Latest posts

Back