Planting seeds...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatNug

Legalized Smoker
Reaction score
I have ten white rhino seeds that have been germinating for two days, so far 100% are successfully germinateing using the damp paper towl technique. My question is, how long should i wait before planting and what should the seeds look like when they are ready?

FatNug said:
I have ten white rhino seeds that have been germinating for two days, so far 100% are successfully germinateing using the damp paper towl technique. My question is, how long should i wait before planting and what should the seeds look like when they are ready?
Once your seeds have cracked open they are ready for dirt. You need to plant them about 1/2 inch deep in the soil and cover. Be sure the tap root is facing down and the seed head up. ;)

Once I see a quarter inch tap root, I go.

Just like TBG said, root down, head up.

Good luck.

Not trying to contradict you guys advice but i've always planted root tip up. The root will reverse direction. This helps get the shell off, you know how sometimes a seedling comes up, shell on the 1st leaves? Well, I done a lil reading after having this prob and found this method, used it every since. But TBG and RnW are giving the more orthodox method.

do the shells really hurt that much? ive grown plenty of watermelons with the black shell on top all clearish looking. plus looping up from down might take some effort and of course time.

bombbudpuffa said:
Not trying to contradict you guys advice but i've always planted root tip up. The root will reverse direction. This helps get the shell off, you know how sometimes a seedling comes up, shell on the 1st leaves? Well, I done a lil reading after having this prob and found this method, used it every since. But TBG and RnW are giving the more orthodox method.

This is definitely unorthodox. I would certainly not want my baby plant going through any unneeded stress. I would definitely put the taproot down, that's how nature intended it. :)

I would say that the seed casing can and will definitely damage the plant.

Latest posts

Back