Plants in Window...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzgig

Reaction score
I seem to have one plant that is very male here and I only just planted these from seed in the end of April?

Is this a normal thing? I've never grown from seed before and this will be my first male that I've seen too. (awwww hehe)

I hve had plants show sex in as little as 4 weeks old....wish they all did.:)
But generally from seed once you hve alternating nodes the plant is sexually mature and can show pre flowers at anytime.

Oops I think my edit didn't go right ...

I've since writing this, tossed 3 plants...2 being very close to being ready (males) and females id'd too already!

If I go through all of these plants today and take the definite females out, pot them in their final pots (they are still in beer cups and things!) and bring them outside to a full sun spot, will they reveg for me and be ok?

Revegging scares me a little. This was not in my PLANS! *laughs and puffs*

I had *planned* on taking clones and flowering them while allowing the main plants to go and just pick out males from the clones...now...they flower!

Grr.

I don't even have my room set up yet. Didn't think I'd have to with them so small and having plenty of light in windows.

Something doesn't sound right about this situation. I am confused and I am wondering if maybe you are as well. We need to see some pictures of the plants to determine what is going on here. I've not heard of plants grown from seed flowering in 4 weeks of growth. I hope you haven't been to hasty in tossing what appears to be males. But to know for sure what yer talkin about, we will have to see the pics.( just don't use yer cell phone camera or live links to put the pics up.):)

i had my northern lights autoflowering start in 4 weeks could be if its an auto i was also using cfls and dont kno much yet lol... jmo

Yes I am pretty sure they were males and they are since tossed but it seems I took a few pics so here is one.
001 (710x800).jpg

All of my plants were started late April and early May. I think maybe that we had a couple weeks of sun (when they first started) then just cruddy overcast and rain for awhile and that's what sent them? *shrugs*

I'm down to about 80 plants now, of them about 20 are definite females and I've tossed around 10. Dunno what sex the others are.

Fizzgig said:
Yes I am pretty sure they were males and they are since tossed but it seems I took a few pics so here is one.
View attachment 170178

All of my plants were started late April and early May. I think maybe that we had a couple weeks of sun (when they first started) then just cruddy overcast and rain for awhile and that's what sent them? *shrugs*

I'm down to about 80 plants now, of them about 20 are definite females.
You did right throwing that one away. It is def. male.:lama:

:holysheep: So they were definitely males, not just showing preflower nads but having fully developed cod sacs.:eek: I am far from being an authority on MJ so I am rather shocked at seeing this. I thought that they would have to grow for 4-5 weeks to get mature enough to just show sex, let alone produce full sacs. :confused: Are those autoflowering plants? The good thing about this is that yu don't have to wait long to determine what yu have there. To keep them from continueing to flower, I would put them under 24hours of 6500K T5HO or CFL200w to keep the veg hormones going until yu can get yer growspace ready. I would think they would reveg ok by doing that since they are early in flower. But given this situation, I could be wrong. Maybe Hick or THG, or one of the other More experienced can shed some light on this.(pardon the pun)

Wow geez balls a plenty on that thing....woa. Glad you chucked it.

Are these autos?
I believe autos show sex in 18-21 days. Once an auto shows sex it isn't like Pre lowers that just sit there. The flowering period is quick and explosive males included in that. At least the few males I have gotten. It wld make sense that if the female flowering period is faster so wld the males.

That pic made me feel like I was at a Chip n' Dales for marijuana.

Not autoflowering nope (no I'm not 100% but I highly doubt this). I'm not certain on the strain at all really, cuz they were given to me (like...a baggie full of seeds I am talking - 600+! haha)
That pic was the most extreme case of the males I found, most of the others were not that...well endowed? That one had been sitting by itself in a darker spot outside I guess.

Really, I am as surprised as all you!

I moved all the definite females to a full sun spot outside and have been making sure the ones still inside are getting plenty of light. Will keep you updated and HOPEFULLY I will have someone come in the next week or 2 and help me get finished inside!

Just updating here since I am dealing with seeds again (in a completely new environment) and wanting to take some early clones to sex a few plants I have, they are 4.5 weeks old and not alternating nodes and not showing signs of preflowers and I'd taken advice in another thread to wait but then I recall this and wonder about why the plants in this thread are in full flower without alternating nodes?

I wld wait for alternating nodes....on most plants this shows they are sexually mature.

So they were definitely males, not just showing preflower nads but having fully developed cod sacs.

whoa. so, a plant can have preflower nads and still be a female?!? what about the other way around?

lumpcore said:
whoa. so, a plant can have preflower nads and still be a female?!? what about the other way around?
No, not unless its a hermaphrodite. They just look real similar early on. At the berginning of preflower the little calyxes that develop are identical for male or female, but after some time the male calyxes will begin to extend on little stems like the pic from Fizzgig. The female calyxes will not extend but will stay tucked close and will produce 2 little white hairs. :) However, even though you can see these little calyxes start to develop early it doesn't automatically mean that the plant is fully matured yet. This varies from strain to strain, and even phenotype to phenotype. The alternating nodes is probably the best method for knowing that it is mature enough to flower. :)

that is so interesting hushpuppy. I have a G13 Sour Candy (wich I should realy update my growjournal soon) that was in Veg for 6 weeks and 3 days and it never showed any alternating nodes. I put it to flower on the 9th of this month and I just saw this morning it has two little white hairs coming out of the calyx on the top colas (still no alternating nodes) makes me wonder about the whole alternating node thing..

Today I am here to say I have 2 Dutch treat @ 5 weeks old, no alternating nodes and definitely female pre-flowers.

The Kush I have same age is showing something but I'm not certain if f/m yet... Also no alternating nodes.

Yeah, there seems to be exceptions to the rule when it comes to phenotype variations. I had my Blueberry Punch which is Indica dom grow nearly 2' high(on the first run from seed) and didn't show any sign of sexxing(about 6weeks) and then I went ahead and flipped them. Within a week They were all busting out with sex parts.

I think the phenotype combined with environmental factors really affect how this occurs timing wise. There are really a lot of variables that can affect the plant. I have learned soo much in the last 2 years of serious growing, and I am still learning stuff all the time.

Fizzgig, If they are that far along you could flip them if you want to before they get any taller. IMO it wouldn't hurt to do that, and they probably would show sex pretty quick after that. Some peeps here would say that flipping them too early causes them unnecessary stress, but this close I don't think it will hurt.

The only problem with flipping before they are suredly sexxed is if you want to take clones from them. It's a pain to have a bunch of clones that haven't sexxed yet and then find out that half of them are males a couple weeks later. But there are ways to get around it if yer prepared for it. Ultimately its simpler if you intend to clone yer plants to let them fully mature. :) I probably sound like I am contradicting myself but I try to show both sides of the arguement whenever I explain things. :)

Latest posts

Back