Please take a look at my first offspring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help! 😯

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    936.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 0
More Cal Mag or pH affecting the uptake of nutrients.

Yeah, I looked at example pics of nutrient deficiencies and it does look like lack of calcium/magnesium may be the culprit. Also, let me remind you that when I tested the runoff in the 2nd week, the pH was around 4.0. I need to check it again.

I haven't used any supplements yet. I have Rootbastic (which I skipped because someone in this thread advised me) and Bloombastic (not the time to use it yet). From what I understand, it's best to use mineral based supplements OR organic (if I remember correctly), not BOTH. Is that right?

Should I start adding a generic CaMgS supplement and some pH+ to the water? Is it all right if I use both?

Last edited:
I would check the pH going in and coming out. If you were seeing 4.0 in the past, odds are your pH needs to be addressed. My brother was using tap water last year with no problems and he is using organic nutes. He had a really nice harvest. Last month, he started seeing issues with his plants. When he checked his tap water, the pH was over 8. Organic growing in my experience hasn’t required checking pH but I think the micro herd can only regulate the pH to a certain point then they get overwhelmed.

As far as using both organic and synthetic nutes goes, I have read the same thing as you have. I think that line of thought/opinion is also based on extremes. I know some folks on here use both at the same time and it works well for them. I have tried it as well with good results. All things in moderation, I guess.

If you haven’t used supplements yet, my guess is your plants have depleted the supply of nutes in your soil so you should start feeding the plant. That is what the plants are telling you.

Bottom line is I would feed the plant lightly but check the pH going in and pH coming out. A lot of folks use epsom salt as a mag supplement. I use it sometimes at about a tablespoon per gallon. I am not familiar with the line of nutes you are using so I can’t really speak to that.

I fucked up the pH test yesterday by spilling some water into the trays. It mixed with the runoff. I'll repeat it today.

I got some pH+ and CalMg. Keeping my fingers crossed!

You can see some clawing in pic 2. Should I lift the light a bit?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    827.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 0
I fucked up the pH test yesterday by spilling some water into the trays. It mixed with the runoff. I'll repeat it today.

That isn’t from your light. Looks like pH, nutrient deficiency or as lesso said, bugs. Since you said you haven’t fed the plant, as I said above, I would feed it, checking/adjusting the pH going in and and possibly flushing the soil with properly pH’d water if the pH coming out is off.

That isn’t from your light. Looks like pH, nutrient deficiency or as lesso said, bugs. Since you said you haven’t fed the plant, as I said above, I would feed it, checking/adjusting the pH going in and and possibly flushing the soil with properly pH’d water if the pH coming out is off.
Yep. Little dead spots on a leaf with no other discoloration. I had russet mites once and white fly another time....both times my plants looked like this.
The other thing that looks like this is splashing nutes onto your leaves.

I forgot to say that I think your grow looks really good otherwise. Good job on your first plants. I bet you get a nice little harvest

Yep. Little dead spots on a leaf with no other discoloration.

There actually is a clearly visible yellow outline around those spots at the moment.

I put one of the plants on a paint grid (see attachment) to get a proper pH reading because the bottom of the pot absorbs all runoff. The pH is still really low (about 4.0), so tomorrow I'm going to mix 1.5mL of pH+ and 0.5mL of CalMg with 1.5L of water and we'll see how it goes!

Attachments

• grid.jpg
    grid.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 0

If that is the only leaf with spots most likely splash.
If the other start turning then I would be worried, watch diligently for the next few weeks and if other leaves do anything worry.
Loop under that leaf and see if anything moves
I always ask What are those white spots. .............

There actually is a clearly visible yellow outline around those spots at the moment.

I put one of the plants on a paint grid (see attachment) to get a proper pH reading because the bottom of the pot absorbs all runoff. The pH is still really low (about 4.0), so tomorrow I'm going to mix 1.5mL of pH+ and 0.5mL of CalMg with 1.5L of water and we'll see how it goes!
I wouldn’t get caught up in ratios. Concentrate on the pH going in. @SubmarineGirl has flushed for pH issues with excellent results. I would do a search on what she did and use her pH in vs runoff as a framework to help you determine what pH in will work for you. 4 is pretty low. I am surprised your plant looks as nice as it does. Be aware too that wild pH swings are as bad as a low or high pH. I would recommend continuing to check the runoff pH periodically to ensure your pH doesn’t drift back to being low.

@SubmarineGirl has flushed for pH issues with excellent results. I would do a search on what she did and use her pH in vs runoff as a framework to help you determine what pH in will work for you.

Can you direct me to the thread/post with that information? I can't find it.

Would you call a pH increase from 4.0 to 5.0 "a wild swing"?

It is in and around this thread.

'SubGirl’s grow with new Spider Farmer SF-2000 light'
SubGirl’s grow with new Spider Farmer SF-2000 light

By wild swings , I was thinking 4.0 to 8.0. It is just a guess but 4 to 5 seems like a good transition. Hopefully doing the same thing next watering, runoff will go from 5 to 6. I think the pH scale is logarithmic so it may not work exactly like that but I think the ‘step up’ should be a less stressing strategy. Maybe someone who does pH’ing will chime in. I am lucky and the pH of my tap water and soil seems to stay in a healthy range. I haven’t checked pH much in years but I have been using organic nutes and soil(though I am trying Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect now).

I only had to flush once and had no idea what I was doing so my advice you should be aware of this. I had my PH drop under 5.0 runoff which did not allow the needed calmag to my plants. I flooded all my plants with gallons of high ph water to bring it up a bit. my Plants did respond to the process but I probably could have got away with a lot less water than I used.
4.0-to 5.0 is a bit low for cannabis tho. Are you measuring and adjusting the PH in to around 6.5?

I only had to flush once and had no idea what I was doing so my advice you should be aware of this. I had my PH drop under 5.0 runoff which did not allow the needed calmag to my plants. I flooded all my plants with gallons of high ph water to bring it up a bit. my Plants did respond to the process but I probably could have got away with a lot less water than I used.
4.0-to 5.0 is a bit low for cannabis tho. Are you measuring and adjusting the PH in to around 6.5?

Tap water was about 6.0 last time I checked. I've been using 700mL of water a day per plant (about 3.7 gal of soil, which is BioBizz Light Mix).

I mixed about 0.5mL/1L of pH+ and 0.4mL/1L of CalMg yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use those daily.

Latest posts

Back