Please take a look at my first offspring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just moved them to 1L plastic buckets (drilled some holes in the bottoms, of course) which I had handy. I put them pretty deep into the soil. Unfortunately the taproots were already sticking out of the bottoms of the plugs and bending sideways. I put a fan far away from them so that they wiggle just a little bit.

It's just the interim as I'm moving them into the tent and under the lamp on a 18/6 timer tonight.

I tried to be as gentle as possible, but I'm aware it may be too late for those babies. Keeping my fingers crossed. Oh well, all rookie mistakes.

By the way, what caused the stems to be this long?
Not too late at all. They will be fine. Now get them closer to the light somehow so they quit stretching looking for more. They need more light than what they are getting in your living room setting

Not too late at all. They will be fine. Now get them closer to the light somehow so they quit stretching looking for more. They need more light than what they are getting in your living room setting

They're already under MH, 18/6h. No need to delay the move any longer.

I think I'll keep the lamp about 30" above them for the first couple of days and lower it later. Is that OK?

They're already under MH, 18/6h. No need to delay the move any longer.

I think I'll keep the lamp about 30" above them for the first couple of days and lower it later. Is that OK?
I don’t know MH but if it’s an LED I would bring it down even closer. Watch your plants, they will tell you, if they continue to stretch like that, bring them closer to the light.

Day 10.

They seem to be doing fine. The temperature in the box is 32F (lights off) - 75F (lights on). Reminder: the schedule is already 18/6.
The oscillating fan I have is too strong, so I'll try to find something less powerful in an attempt to strenghten the stems.
I'm seeing some runoff, so I think it's time to test it for pH.

Question: the DIY pots are completely transparent. Should I wrap them in black stretch film to prevent the roots from getting light? I hear it's bad for them.

P.S. Is it OK if I make this thread my "journal" with questions etc.? I don't know what the etiquette here is exactly.

32 F? Are your leaves wilting from the cold? They need to be a bit warmer in light off. Those cold temps will probably slow down your grow but it seems that your plants can tolerate it. I’m not sure what temps they actually freeze at but @bigsur51 could tell you as he grows outside. I’ve seen snow on his plants and they were still green…

You should never be below 55f. Plants don't do well in real cold conditions. Slows down growth and flower production.
Bigs plants are used to those temps because he grows outside. But even then its not good for the plant.

I know, I know. It's just that the box is in a big unheated room and I have to heat it with this (250W version):

https://maxgrowshop.com/data/gfx/pictures/medium/1/3/2431_1.jpg
Even the smallest heaters consume too much power (1000-2000W), won't fit inside the box and are fire hazard (the box is a converted wardrobe). I CAN heat the room, but I'd have to close the door and that would raise suspicion.

I made the mistake of getting everything in the 150mm standard, which is probably overkill for just two plants (big 500-600 CFM filter etc.). So now the inline fan lowers the temperature too much. The reason I went for 150mm was better availability of parts, especially of cooled reflectors.

Can I turn off the inline fan for the 6 hours of darkness?

I honestly thought 32 was a typo. For a seedling especially, that is way too cold. Why don’t you just leave the light on 24/7? Their light is a heat source that won’t cost as much to run as a space heater.

I honestly thought 32 was a typo. For a seedling especially, that is way too cold. Why don’t you just leave the light on 24/7? Their light is a heat source that won’t cost as much to run as a space heater.

Not a typo, I was just absent minded when I was converting from Celsius. The lowest temperature is actually about 63F.

I did the first pH test. Doesn't look too great. So far I've been using filtered tap water with no additives. The water itself is about 6.5 pH.

Should I add some calcium to the water (I don't know how many grams per liter) or just use one of those pH+/pH- liquids?

Attachments

• pH.jpg
    pH.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 0
I personally wouldn't bother adjusting PH below 6.5 for seedlings or even vegging plants before they start getting nutes.

I personally wouldn't bother adjusting PH below 6.5 for seedlings or even vegging plants before they start getting nutes.

Really? I saw the color and got worried. I'll wait then.

Should I filter the water anyway? Does it make a difference?

Really? I saw the color and got worried. I'll wait then.

Should I filter the water anyway? Does it make a difference?

I don't filter my water, but a lot of people here do. Pretty much the same with PH. You will get lots of different opinions. I'm sort of surprised no one but me has responded yet. I see these guys online now (@WeedHopper , @joeb631a , @Lesso , @Hippie420 )

I have never filtered my water. I let it set overnight before I use it to get rid of Chlorine.

ok I’ll respond but only my opinion too. I don’t start PH testing either except for water in at 6.5 until way into veg when I start nutes. I water from my kitchen sink, don’t let it stand 24 hours, with room temperature water. i measure my ph going in at 6.5 or so. I do use preloaded soil so I don't start nutrients till a few weeks after their final transplant. I measure my first PH runoff after a few weeks of being in their new pots or if I see anything going crazy with the leaves

Goddamn it!
You could stake them up gently. I would use pipe cleaners and make a loose loop around the stem(to give the seedling the ability to sway in the gentle breeze from your fan) and push the other end into the soil to hold the seedlings upright. As crash said, you need more light.

Latest posts

Back