Please take a look at my first offspring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The airflow might be a bit much for those little seedlings, but it doesn't look like it's hurting them. I don't remember if you said what light you were using, wattage, led/incandescent, etc. If those pics are with the light on full, you probably still need more light.

There was someone here a while back growing in a similar situation who managed one plant per grow with a single 100W light and got pretty decent harvests. I can't remember who it was, though. I didn't see his thread in grow journals.

On the clear cups, I wouldn't cover them. Once you start seeing roots going down the side it will be time to up pot them anyway. If you're planning to leave them in 1 gallon pots to keep them small, you would do better moving them to fabric pots, purchased or home made, so they don't become root bound.

Day 18.

Looks like they're recovering.

Got two 12V computer fans and made DIY stands for them. They look ridiculous, but they are much less powerful than my 20W oscillating fan, which I'm going to use later. They are loud as hell, though. Should've got bigger and slower ones.

Here's a video sample (just a few seconds, no sound). Is that fine in your opinion or should I move them closer to the plants?

Server 1
Server 2
You just need the air to be moving the leaves a little. They are probably ok. Good color on the leaves I think.

The airflow might be a bit much for those little seedlings, but it doesn't look like it's hurting them. I don't remember if you said what light you were using, wattage, led/incandescent, etc. If those pics are with the light on full, you probably still need more light.

There was someone here a while back growing in a similar situation who managed one plant per grow with a single 100W light and got pretty decent harvests. I can't remember who it was, though. I didn't see his thread in grow journals.

On the clear cups, I wouldn't cover them. Once you start seeing roots going down the side it will be time to up pot them anyway. If you're planning to leave them in 1 gallon pots to keep them small, you would do better moving them to fabric pots, purchased or home made, so they don't become root bound.

I use a 250W MH lamp and I'll switch to HPS when needed. It's pretty close now - about 6". Two plants which I'll move to 4 gallon fabric pots later.

I have a "backup" seedling (4 days younger than the other two) in a small drinking cup. I don't think three plants will fit inside the box, so I'll probably ditch it.

Day 23

I unwrapped the pots and noticed that the roots have reached the walls. I'm moving the plants to fabric pots today.

I want to use Rootbastic for the first couple of weeks, so I need some advice:

Question 1: should I use it right after moving the plants? Or should I use plain water the first time?

Question 2: how long can I use a 1.3 gallon bottle full of water mixed with Rootbastic? Can it go bad? It's hard to find information about something this specific.

Bonus in the attachment below: new and improved fan. This time it's 1000RPM instead of 5300. It doesn't sound like a drone taking off.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 0
My advise would be to avoid adding optional and expensive products like root enhancers until you get a feel for what a normal grow is like. As you noticed the roots are already filling out the available space. They will again when you transplant them. It might take less time with added root enhancers, might take longer. How will you know?

These guys have given good, sound advice. No since I’m me adding more.
A few things I remember from when I started growing

1. It may be a plant but I found growing to be a difficult learning curve.
I’m talking a year or so befor I was getting great results over and over. Don’t be disappointed at first. There is much to learn and your going to have some nasty looking plants lol

2. Keep it simple. Lots of stuff on the market that they say you need but you really don’t.
3. Take notes and pictures to track your learning. Will allow you to look back at what you did (or didn’t do) and see the results. Will help you learn quickly and get that dense dank you want!!

Rock on, and enjoy the ride

These guys have given good, sound advice. No since I’m me adding more.
A few things I remember from when I started growing

1. It may be a plant but I found growing to be a difficult learning curve.
I’m talking a year or so befor I was getting great results over and over. Don’t be disappointed at first. There is much to learn and your going to have some nasty looking plants lol

2. Keep it simple. Lots of stuff on the market that they say you need but you really don’t.
3. Take notes and pictures to track your learning. Will allow you to look back at what you did (or didn’t do) and see the results. Will help you learn quickly and get that dense dank you want!!

Rock on, and enjoy the ride
Well said. There are plenty of pitfalls for sure. My first adult grow was stressful for 4 or 5 months. I would add something as well-spend time examining the plants to identify problems(discoloration, bugs, etc) as early as possible.

So I transplanted them and put the fans next to them. It's been 24 hours and they seem to be doing OK. I have no idea when a plant shows signs of being "shocked", though. The breeze from the fans is weak. Maybe I'll post pics tomorrow!

So I transplanted them and put the fans next to them. It's been 24 hours and they seem to be doing OK. I have no idea when a plant shows signs of being "shocked", though. The breeze from the fans is weak. Maybe I'll post pics tomorrow!
If they aren’t laying on their sides, they will be fine. We all stress on the first few grows but they are plants and pretty resilient.

If they aren’t laying on their sides, they will be fine. We all stress on the first few grows but they are plants and pretty resilient.

Well, my problem was that I had to take apart the small plastic buckets that I used instead of drinking cups. It was a lot more work and I had to be really careful not to obliterate them by accident.

I use 700mL of water for each one (every day) and I will change the amount if I see anything suspicious.

Today's pics below.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 0
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 0
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 0
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 0
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 0
Well, my problem was that I had to take apart the small plastic buckets that I used instead of drinking cups. It was a lot more work and I had to be really careful not to obliterate them by accident.

I use 700mL of water for each one (every day) and I will change the amount if I see anything suspicious.

Today's pics below.
Looks like they will be fine to me. When I transplant, I like to let the soil dry out a bit. That helps the root ball slide out of the old pot easier. Keep in mind, there are bonsai plants that are hundreds of years old and they actually trim the roots to keep them healthy. Yes, you want to minimize disturbing the roots but plants will be fine with a little root damage.

Today's pics below.

those leaves that look crinkled? = normal , nothing to be concerned about

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to repeat a question (I didn't get replies): is it OK if the inline fan is on only turned on alongside the lamp (18/6)? I'm asking because when the fan is on, the temperature drops a little bit. I just don't know how important CONSTANT ventilation is.

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to repeat a question (I didn't get replies): is it OK if the inline fan is on only turned on alongside the lamp (18/6)? I'm asking because when the fan is on, the temperature drops a little bit. I just don't know how important CONSTANT ventilation is.
I leave mine on constantly a low blow and oscillating across the stems and leaves.
Drop in temps won't hurt as long as we are not approaching freezing lvls

Thanks for the feedback.

I keep mine on all the time. When I don’t I run into humidity issues

Thanks for the feedback.

Some variation with the lights off is ok/normal. I like to have temps drop about 10-15 deg F with lights off during flower.

Latest posts

Back