Police Given Direct Line To Cell Phone Searches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grower13

Reaction score
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Think about all the personal information we keep in our cell phones: It’s something to consider after the US Court of Appeal 7th circuit ruled it is now legal for police to search cell phones without a warrant.
Former Dallas FBI Agent Danny Defenbaugh said the ruling gives law enforcement a leg up. “I think not only will it help them, but it could be life saving,” said the former Special Agent, who was based in Dallas.
The decision stems from an Indiana case where police arrested a man for dealing drugs. An officer searched the suspect’s cell phone without warrant.
The judge in the appeal case, Judge Richard Posner, agreed that the officer had to search the phone immediately or risk losing valuable evidence. Judge Posner ruled it was a matter of urgency, arguing it was possible for an accomplice to wipe the phone clean using a computer or other remote device.
Defenbaugh says the ruling takes into account exigent or time-sensitive circumstances that could be life saving in more urgent cases, such as child abduction. ”If the child is alive and you’re only minutes behind, that could be critical to recovering that child alive,” added Defenbaugh.
Judge Posner ruled that the search was legal because the officer conducted a limited search and only looked for phone numbers associated with the alleged drug deal. The judge argued it was similar to flipping through a diary to search for basic information such as addresses and phone numbers.
Paul Coggins is the former U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas. Coggins says the court’s ruling pushes the envelope on privacy issues and wonders if it opens the door to more extensive searches down the road. “Does that mean officers now have the right to search through your phone, search through your search history, your photographs, your e-mails and the rest, because it could all be wiped clean,” Coggins asked.
Many critics are asking the same question. They call the ruling an invasion of privacy that far outweighs the needs of law enforcement.
Both Defenbaugh and Coggins agree that the case is likely to go to the U.S. Supreme court.

Yual need to move to canada pilgrem! The only way they gets that info from up here is a dog called devil who once let go eats at yur nuts til yual say uncle. Its what it is but feel it aint goin be much longer. Its the time of the individual not he whole. Grow as an individual and claim yur space ifin yual can. Respect to all

BWD

Just password protect your phone. Makes it personal and entitled info and they need a warrant.

Better yet don't use a cel. PPL anymore to busy not paying attention to what their doing while talking on those annoying things.

I had a cell phone once till my wife called me when I was landin a 12 pound catfish to tell me to pick up milk on the way home. I wouldnt a had it anyway if she didnt get it for me. I "accidently" dropped it in the river that day.

I agree with ozzy and markers, no cell phone, no problem! I cannot believe how addicted to the phone the kids are these days...and it's not just the kids. I am amazed and sometimes even annoyed when someone's getting calls every couple minutes while visiting with me, shut the damned thing off or leave if you've more important things to do.

A friend has been begging me to get a phone since my plans this summer include a lot of travel and activity that could result in the need of assistance now and again. IF I get one, the number will be so private only those that absolutely need it will know it and phone calls about milk or eggs or just calling to chat won't be tolerated! :)

Oh yeah, problem at hand...talking drugs over the phone is insane to begin with, texting even more so....using one's brains should protect them and others.

I have never had a cell phone cant afford one after I pay my teenagers cell phone bill.

I "accidently" dropped it in the river that day.
This from a guy that has 15 computers networked throughout the house and garage lol

I like to communicate with the other humans on the planet....I'lll keep my cell phone.

I know...it is much better to post pictures of Marijuana grows on the internet then have a cell phone. Much smarter.

:D Better yet, use your cell phone to post pictures of marijuana grows on the internet.:D

Markers said:
Better yet, use your cell phone to post pictures of marijuana grows on the internet.
,,,from your grow!...:doh:

NorCalHal said:
I like to communicate with the other humans on the planet....I'lll keep my cell phone.

I know...it is much better to post pictures of Marijuana grows on the internet then have a cell phone. Much smarter.

We all do, your looked great btw. :) Difference being, if you're stopped on the road and have pot on you, the cops can check out your phone on the spot. I believe they need a warrant to check your computer...could be mistaken!

My philosophy on worryin' about da man......

If they want you....they will get you. I stopped worryin' about silly stuff a long time ago. No matter how cautious or "paranoid" you are, if they are on to you...there is nothing you can do. Period.
I have seen it a few times.

You either have to go ALL the way, or just don't worry about it.

I love my Iphone.

Haha...if they did look at my phone pics...I think they would be embarrased! I have quite da boobie collection!

NorCalHal said:
My philosophy on worryin' about da man......

Haha...if they did look at my phone pics...I think they would be embarrased! I have quite da boobie collection!

:hubba:

:postpicsworthless:

NorCalHal said:

I dont want to get on your case however I can tell you from a technical aspect there is a huge difference. Your cell phone is basically like a tracking device.

If you feel you need a cell phone.. get a disposable cell, pay as you go.. when not in use take out the battery....:holysheep: i watch way to much csi and mob movies. And yeah talking or texting on the phone about grows or drugs is just building the polices case against you..If you have to talk or text i suggest coming up with a code, not a silly code either..

i do agree on getting a passcode lock to open your phone, if they cant open it, i figure they will most likely need a warrant...

Aloha
SquidyP:icon_smile:

SquidyPacheco said:
If you feel you need a cell phone.. get a disposable cell, pay as you go.. when not in use take out the battery....:holysheep: i watch way to much csi and mob movies. And yeah talking or texting on the phone about grows or drugs is just building the polices case against you..If you have to talk or text i suggest coming up with a code, not a silly code either..

i do agree on getting a passcode lock to open your phone, if they cant open it, i figure they will most likely need a warrant...

Aloha
SquidyP:icon_smile:
All that work:eek:...just move to a MMJ state lol... or don't send pics and texts. :p

Latest posts

Back