POLL: 24/0 vs. 18/6 what you prefer and why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrow22

Reaction score
I am taking a poll on 24/0 vs. 18/6. Anyone who grows indoors please respond with which one you prefer and provide adequate reasons!
I like 24/0
Growth goes 1/4 faster
Don't have to worry about timing schedules with regard to watering, clipping etc...

i usually go for like 20/4 only becuase my grow box is in my room and sometimes all the components make just enough noise where its hard to fall asleep but not enough noise where they'll wake me up.

Also i remember reading somewhere that the plant can't photosynthisis any more the 18 hours.

i think 18/6 is better because as far as i know, all of nature requires sleep. Why should plant be any different. Plus 24 hours of light is un-natural and can cause the plant to stress. Just buy a timer to turn your light on and off, they are only about £5.

Actually mj is unlike most other plants, because MJ more closely resembles a weed than a plant. It is a mix of both, but because of its weed properties, it can never get enough light, so if you have light on 24 hours a day, it soaks every minute of it up. It does cause stress, but growth goes faster because it can photosynthesize more, just a matter of preference which im asking ;)

i have noticed an increase of male to female ratios with 24/0 than at 18/6 by seeds . but have not had a clone yet stress because of it and hermie. so maybe that will help someone.

18/6 save some power and some money. No need for 24 hours of light. In my expierience anyway................24 hours for rooting clones under floros. though.........................................;)

I run 24/0. I haven't noticed much difference between 24/0 and 18/6. except tighter node spacing.
Also with the compact florous @ wal-mart a lot of them won't work with a timer. Even says right on the box. ;)
As far as Fem ratios...I get a decent ratio with it @ 24/0. Run about 85%+.
To me its all in personal preference.

big thanks to mutt and his article he posted im 5 of 6 females and the one male was because i F/d with it also 24/0 for 35 days plants have 12 nodes and are showing preflowers plants are actually 16 inches tall and 16 inches wide

24/0, helps prevent early stretching. Personally I like keeping my nodes as close as possible until flowering.

i like to start my grows on 18 then if the plants need a boost or have stalled or slowed in there growth i will change over to 24 which has always boosted the mj plants in rapid feeding and growth. i do not know the effects of this type of cycle on male/female ratios.

24/0

Increased growth... however plants heal at night... so if they are hurtin might wanna consider 18/6

Doesn't switching light schedules really stress the plant, causing males?

I have always been 18/6 but a cohort of mine recently vegged a batch on 24 and it went pretty fast, the nodes were way closer and the plant was all around bushier. This is a very well developed, stable, long worked with strain so we could see a difference. There might be something to it.

I definately dont mean keep switching it when u have a problem... if u've grown for a while u've stamped out all the problems basically... u dont want to switch light cycles unless flowering.

leelow said:
i do not know the effects of this type of cycle on male/female ratios.

here's a neat article which in fact did boost my ratios. but because I use compact flos for veg. I leave it on the 24/0 schedule. but I try to follow all the other things it says to do.

5. Hours of daylight: few hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours) makes for more female individuals, a long day (e.g. 18 hours) makes for more male plants.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1974

24/0 seems to be the preferred schedule for vegging, especially with flourescents. MJ can and will utilize 24/0 hours of light. During dark/lights off, the plants will stretch looking for light, makeing it appear that 18/6 gets better results, while actually only lengthens distance between nodes.

HID lighting I prefer to run 18/6 or 20/4 simply to give the ballast and bulb a cooling period.

Latest posts

Back