Pollen Collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LdyLunatic

i wanna be cool too!
Reaction score
The male plant is generally not something you want in your flower room....but in order for us to collect pollen Zen and myself put a male into the room on 12/12 with the ladies. The better light allows for a nice healthy growth.

He was kept under close watch for the pollen sacs to start to turn color slightly....then he is yanked out and put into a cabinet alone under compact floro bulbs.

A male doesn't need the amount of care and love that a female does....he will continue to grow and produce much pollen under minimal care as long as you keep the light cycle the same :)

The male is placed in the cabinet...a styrofoam plate cut and inserted around the stem to catch any pollen that will drop.

As he matures to his full pollen sacks ....we then cut off the main branches and place them in cups of water..

The male has already produced tons of pollen....it is now just needing to be released for collection.

As the branches start to die off the pollen sacs dry and pop open and will fall on your tin foil that you have placed under to catch it :)

Pollen 029 (Medium).jpg

Pollen 034 (Medium).jpg

Pollen 037 (Medium).jpg

The pollen can now be placed in a square of foil and put inside a plastic container inside the fridge. Zen and myself have stored and collected pollen this way with excellent results. The pollen has stayed viable for longer than 60 days.

Pollen 047 (Medium).jpg

Cool!! I am nowhere near the point of trying to breed my own crosses at this point. :eek:

Thanks for the ideas. A man needs ideas too....

I have no need for collecting pollen this year, but I'm supposed to be getting some good seeds in a few weeks and I am intersted in learning how to take a pack of ten seeds and turn them into 100 without totally destroying my bud.

I've heard that you're supposed to grow out the entire pack and choose the best female and male plants to be parents for your batch of seeds. You then collect pollen, as noted above, and then transfer some pollen to a few buds on the parent female using tweexers so that only a few buds contain seeds, while the other buds remain seedless.

When would I want to pollenate my buds?
In the 1st weeks of flowering?
A month before harvest?
Somewhere inbetween?

How long does it take a seed to mature?
How big should the seeds be to be good seeds?

About how long is it between when you can first see the sacs and when they burst open? Im doing the same thing, I have a male and female flowering in the same room, but i dont want all the female going to seed production.

jraddude said:
About how long is it between when you can first see the sacs and when they burst open? Im doing the same thing, I have a male and female flowering in the same room, but i dont want all the female going to seed production.
once the sacks have swolllen, only a matter of a few days before pollen release.
Seeds take 4 weeks minimum to form and mature to viability...minimum...

Hick so 4 weeks its a minimum for them to reach maturity dammm im clouse to that time

brouli said:
Hick so 4 weeks its a minimum for them to reach maturity dammm im clouse to that time

hey brouli, I see balls on some plants. Ill post pics later today. Anyhow when do lowryders start busting pollen sacks?

I have 1 fem low plant verified, and plan to try to breed with queen stinky since she is in like week 3 of flowering and still has like 5 to go hehe. See how a lowryder skunk hybred does.

24-27 days and they broke on mine, last grow that is but they were on the balcony , good luck man i hope everything goeswell :)

brouli said:
24-27 days and they broke on mine, last grow that is but they were on the balcony , good luck man i hope everything goeswell :)

thanks man, i will psot picstures. they are only 3 weeks old lol. But yea 1 fem two dudes so far. Out of 8. You were right females are smaller than males at first.

Anyhow dude, ill take some pics of the pollenating process, hopefully any errors or good job I do can help some peeps

Ok im waiting on pics i will do the same

brouli said:
Ok im waiting on pics i will do the same

No bursting yet, think one of the dudes is a hermie.

I have them away from the fems, 3 confirmed fems.

Little tiny one is like stuck. Forgot to grow. I think it's bad genes it's also deformed.

I will probably sacrifice a whole female to seeds. Mightest well stock up on some lowryder seeds, 2 months to harvest is awesome. I am hoping to get some viable crossbreeds off lowryder and my skunk, my skunk has like 4-5 weeks to go in flowering. Hopefully lowryder pollen will come soon.

:rolleyes:

OK i got very important Question

HOW MUCH POLLEN SHOULD I PUT ON THE WHITE HAIRS , AND ITS ONCE GOOD OR DO I NEED MORE THAN THAT ( couse i'm adding pollen to my female every day , 4 days that is and 75% of white hairs turn red-brown
HOW MUCH LONGER SHOULD I DO IT ??

brouli said:

HOW MUCH POLLEN SHOULD I PUT ON THE WHITE HAIRS , AND ITS ONCE GOOD OR DO I NEED MORE THAN THAT ( couse i'm adding pollen to my female every day , 4 days that is and 75% of white hairs turn red-brown

I still have no pollen.. but the guys stink!

Some of the balls fell when I jiggled the plant trying to make the pollen drop.

I dunno. They are only like 25 days old I think.

How many days in did you actually get some pollen out of them?

brouli said:

if you have dying pistils then its done...dropping pollen on her once would have been plenty ;)

ok.. will that work? to put pollen on just a few buds of a plant that is flowering? or will that spred thu tha plant and make all the bud produce seeds? because i dont want seeds in my bud at all but if this works id like to pick one or 2 big buds to put it on and get seeds back..

yes you can do that , after you do that wait an hour and sprey her with with water

brouli said:
yes you can do that , after you do that wait an hour and sprey her with with water

brouli...do you spray the entire plant, or just the branches/flowers that you polinated?? Also, what's the purpose of doing this? Reply appreciated...

Nelson

i dont want to offend anyone but i know if im dealing with a gene pool devided by two seperate plants that each plant should recieve the same love attention, lights, nutes. ect...puny males make puney buds like puney female make puney buds.....heres one of my boys that gets the exact same as the females that are going to be seeded.....gribb:)

my boy.jpg

Latest posts

Back