Pollinate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamez

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any one knows at what stage should you add pollen to your bud for seeds. I was going to pollinate only one bud. I grow indoors under 400w hps in soil.

Jamez said:
I was just wondering if any one knows at what stage should you add pollen to your bud for seeds. I was going to pollinate only one bud. I grow indoors under 400w hps in soil.
If i'm not mistaken i think you pollinate 3 weeks into flower.

your right in the middle of me bg i ussually pollenate between 2 and 4 weeks depending on the last time i topped or taken a clone. ps i still like the excitment of not knowing m/f so i have to have some seeds to keep me on my toes lol.

pretty much when the male starts drop'n if the plants where started at the same time... tiss a mother nature thing and she is never wrong ;)

2-4 weeks into flower this will happen... just try to go at least 4 weaks after breed'n to insure good fertal seeds

poo can happen tho.... have a male right now that started drop'n 3.5 weeks into veg :eek: just hope'n he wont stop for awhile as I'm still 2 weeks away from need'n him.... (had to toss him outside)

grow on

HGB said:
pretty much when the male starts drop'n if the plants where started at the same time... tiss a mother nature thing and she is never wrong ;)

2-4 weeks into flower this will happen... just try to go at least 4 weaks after breed'n to insure good fertal seeds

poo can happen tho.... have a male right now that started drop'n 3.5 weeks into veg :eek: just hope'n he wont stop for awhile as I'm still 2 weeks away from need'n him.... (had to toss him outside)

grow on

Have you thought of collecting the pollen now, while he's dropping and storing it for later when youneed it?

And, can I ask if you have a reason for chooseing such an early flowering male as your pollen donor?
I've read that the earlier flowering males are not always the best candidate for pollen. I belive based on the thought/theory that the secret to finding exceptional qualities, lie in the recessive traits of late flowering males.
I'd have to do some digging, but Ihave the article somewhere.
"NOT" critisizeing our breeding tactics, just wondering if you had any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks guys,

I am one week in now, I have the pollen in a bag . I heard somewhere that male sativa always fowers first and if you take the latest flowering pollen you stay closer to indica. I took the latest flowering pollen so heres hoping cheers guys.

Jamez said:
Thanks guys,

I am one week in now, I have the pollen in a bag . I heard somewhere that male sativa always fowers first and if you take the latest flowering pollen you stay closer to indica. I took the latest flowering pollen so heres hoping cheers guys.
Good luck Jamez hope you get yourself a bunch of beans man. ;)

Jamez said:
Thanks guys,

Sativa/indica is a genetic type. Nothing you can do will change that. You can cross it and have a Hybrid, but you cannot dictate whether a seed will create an indica or a sativa.

Google Mendel's Law.Also There is a link in the Breeding section as well. I think it is a sticky at the top.

Hick said:
Have you thought of collecting the pollen now, while he's dropping and storing it for later when youneed it?

And, can I ask if you have a reason for chooseing such an early flowering male as your pollen donor?
I've read that the earlier flowering males are not always the best candidate for pollen. I belive based on the thought/theory that the secret to finding exceptional qualities, lie in the recessive traits of late flowering males.
I'd have to do some digging, but Ihave the article somewhere.
"NOT" critisizeing our breeding tactics, just wondering if you had any thoughts on the subject.

say Hick,

that plant isnt drop'n enough to collect right now.... just a few balls like

and i didnt choose that male for breed'n per say..... was just say'n sometimes poo poo happens :( and here's an exsample :D

if i need him to save this new strain (white willow)then yep i will use it ;)

grow on

i had 6 males in my grow room all same age i stuck all 6 outside away from my females and boxed them in with mesh small enough that flies couldnt get in and every time 1 was ready to drop i cut and disposed of till the last 1 . and that last 1 was also the healthiest and stinkiest as a matter of fact it was the only white widow male with a pungent smell like a female so i hoping i chose a good breeder .

Yeah skunk that is the same as I did right down to the strain and every thing.
I like cloning but seeds is just back up. I think every now and the I might grow ten or so and choose the best female to clone off. anyway thanks for your help guys and cheers BG for the cheer on

Oh that thing about sativa and that, it goes like this. If you were to leave say white widow in the wild it would slowly revert back to sativa over years, because the ww or any cross strain that flowers first is the closest of the bunch to sativa so therefore it would pollinate the females first and so and so on.... but I just read it somewhere and you know what they say about everything you read..............

Jamez said:
Oh that thing about sativa and that, it goes like this. If you were to leave say white widow in the wild it would slowly revert back to sativa over years, because that the ww or any cross strain that flowers first is the closest of the bunch to sativa so therefore it would pollinate the females first and so and so on.... but I just read it somewhere and you know what they say about everything you read..............

If left in the wild to procreate itself, WW will revert back to "hemp",.. not a sativa.
In the wild, early males and hermophradites will dominate the paternal side of the gene pool. That is one of the reasons behind choosing later flowering males. The "reputable" breeders, the ones that seem to consistantly bring the best new strains to the market, predominately use "selected late flowering" males, I do believe.

"True" equatorial sativas, grow their entire lives under 12/12 conditions, and require long flowering periods to mature. Up to 12-14 weeks. So, IMHO, if you are loking to shorten you flowering time to maturity, and/or "improve" the potency/quality of your cross. Selecting a late male that expresses the desirable characteristics that you would like carried on to future generations.
Male selection is probably, IMHO, "the" one most over looked variable in the breeding equation. Everyone is picky in their selection of the Maternal 1/2 of the process. Choosing for their best characteristics, most potent, highest yeilder, fast maturing, aroma, taste, ect. They all employ a selection process on this end.
But so many fail to consider the importance, or don't understand how to select a male.
I'm no expert, but I have done some breeding outside of the horticultural environment, and understand the importance of male selection.
Think about it for a minute. Suppose you owned a champion showdog. Would you choose to breed it to the mongrel mutt down the street, the first dog that came running down the road?..or would you search for another dog with similar qualities of your prized female?
50% of the genetics carried over to the next generation lie in the selection of the male.

Latest posts

Back