possible ph adjusters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy

Reaction score
Here's my clone, rooted now fer about a week. I switched to different soil for this grow and now I regret it. This soil has peat-moss in it, and now I realize that peat is super acidic. I have ph strips, but my ph is so low that it doesn't even register on the strips. ( they start turning colors at 6.2, so I know I'm below that)

ph.jpg

The new growth is fluorescent green.
The root system is huge, transplanting would be a *****, I tried.

Question: Will the ph rise over time with heavy waterings? Can I use any household stuff to raise the ph? Should I just let it be and hope it 'adapts'?
Growth is good, nothing dying yet.

Oh yeah, the name of the soil is "filthy rich potting soil"

Ph always drops more then raising... as more and more salts build up it'll keep dropping... u shoulda mixed in some dolomite lime w/ the ground when u first potted it... it is never too late to repot to a bigger pot with better soil... better to do it at this point then a month from now..

I'll leave you there and let Hick or another dirt pro finish you off.

Organic ph adjusters

I think Kade is pointing you in the right direction. "IMHO" repotting is your best option. Or I believe you will be fighting the ph issue for the entire grow.

How would one go about lowering PH if there is no chance in hell of being able to go out and purchase the right type of medicine? This would be for a hydro setup (DWC).

Shibumi said:
How would one go about lowering PH if there is no chance in hell of being able to go out and purchase the right type of medicine? This would be for a hydro setup (DWC).

I have read a lot of people use FINE DOLOMITE LIME to stabilize the PH. It has a PH of 7 so you can't over do it(to a certain extent). But you have to mix it in well with the soil it said. Crushed eggshells, clam or oyster shells, and wood ashes will bring up the PH a bit. Just be careful with the wood ash. Make sure it aint going to have some bad stuff in it... just wood. And wood ash is like really high in PH. Like 10 or some shtuff. Hope that might help you out. The only problem you have to think about.... you have to get these into the soil... transplanting seems to be very smart. I don't know if a hydro style ph stabilizer would work by kinda flushing out your soil with it.

laylow6988 said:
I have read a lot of people use FINE DOLOMITE LIME to stabilize the PH. It has a PH of 7 so you can't over do it(to a certain extent). But you have to mix it in well with the soil it said. Crushed eggshells, clam or oyster shells, and wood ashes will bring up the PH a bit. Just be careful with the wood ash. Make sure it aint going to have some bad stuff in it... just wood. And wood ash is like really high in PH. Like 10 or some shtuff. Hope that might help you out. The only problem you have to think about.... you have to get these into the soil... transplanting seems to be very smart. I don't know if a hydro style ph stabilizer would work by kinda flushing out your soil with it.

Wood ash and dolomite lime is made as a PH buffer... not a ph changing agent...
Home style changes are vinegar (down) and baking soda (up)

Does anyone have vinegar measurements per gallon to lower the Ph? I can run the testing myself but would appreciate some more experienced feedback as to how much to use, how long it will be stable for and is this going to be detrimental to my plants?

Shibumi said:
Does anyone have vinegar measurements per gallon to lower the Ph? I can run the testing myself but would appreciate some more experienced feedback as to how much to use, how long it will be stable for and is this going to be detrimental to my plants?

PH is the most important thing, besides light quantity.
There is no 'sure measurement'.. depends on how much other stuff that is in the water. Vinegar isn't as strong as phosphoric acid.. so i'd assume it would take a couple drops a liter to drop a point.

Latest posts

Back