pot size ok?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcshoeco1041

smoking good
Reaction score
if i have limited space to grow and i keep my 1 gallon pots is it ok to just let them there till the end of the grow?or should i transplant soon to bigger ones can i still get a decent yield with smaller plants. i have been vegging for 5 weeks now. and my strain is indica, if that matters.

You can do it, but the plants will jump tall and yield much less than they could have. One guideline is 1-gallon of mix for every month of growth.

Indica is not a strain, it is a classification of marijuana.

The general rule of thumb is 1 gal of soil for every foot of height....so are these going to get over a foot?

A foot per gallon? Hadn't heard that one before and think its wonky. Right now I have a flower room about to finish. All are in 4 gal pots. My fave Cheese is about 3-foot tall, a freebie Blueberry is over 8-foot tall. Can't imagine trying to put it in an 8 gallon pot, nor see any value in running the Cheese in 3-gallon pots. I'll stick with a gallon per month. Much more reliable and accurate - especially when you don't know the eventual height of your strain.

I can't imagine using a "1-gal per foot" rule with Satori! The same packet of Satori seed can run 4-foot plants to 8-foot plants. You'd have to be transplanting monthly to keep up with a rule of thumb like that.

im growing grandaddy purp, they are about 1 foot tall right now i kinda feel like there not growing fast because of my pot size.

I know of the rule but don't abide by it. I grow everything in one gallon pots or smaller. Only negative I hve seen is I hve to water every day in flower. I will eventually go to 2 gallon Smart Pots but I don't see myself using bigger pots then that. What works for me might not work for others though. jmo

Oh my God - Hamster is breaking the rules?!?! What is the world coming to?

If it works for you - there is no other rule.

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
A foot per gallon? Hadn't heard that one before and think its wonky. Right now I have a flower room about to finish. All are in 4 gal pots. My fave Cheese is about 3-foot tall, a freebie Blueberry is over 8-foot tall. Can't imagine trying to put it in an 8 gallon pot, nor see any value in running the Cheese in 3-gallon pots. I'll stick with a gallon per month. Much more reliable and accurate - especially when you don't know the eventual height of your strain.

I can't imagine using a "1-gal per foot" rule with Satori! The same packet of Satori seed can run 4-foot plants to 8-foot plants. You'd have to be transplanting monthly to keep up with a rule of thumb like that.

Goddess is right,, to a point. It's not "wonky", it's olde skool and works.
Yes, you can get away with smaller. I've done t too. But, the harvest is better with 1 gal. per foot rule.

Another method that works.....
For "from seed", pot twice as tall as is big around.
For "from clone" as tall as is big around is fine.
Reason being, clones don't have "tap" roots and tend to grow more in diameter at the root ball. Seeds like depth for the taproot to grow.

Old_SSSC_Guy said:

It is only a rough rule of thumb and has been around for a long long time. Height has far more to do with how much root room a plant needs than the months old it is. In addition, I don't know how large you let your plants get, but my Satoris do not get over 5' tall because of my ceiling height. You need about 8' ceilings for a 5' plant, a standard for many homes.

There are other considerations, too. I am growing in ss and could never have enough nutrients in a 1 gal pot to take the plants through. I know that I personally need at least 3 gal pots with at least 50% ss to have enough nutes to see the plants to harvest.

I see absolutely no up side to trying to grow in containers where the plant is going to end up root bound.....

Latest posts

Back