pot size/transplanting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaotik

MrInvisible
Reaction score
just wondering, what's everyone's preference for transplanting?
if your final pot is like a 10-20 gallon.. would you go straight into it? (from like a 1 gal)
or would you have a bumper, with time in like a 3 gal.. then go to the big one?

always wondered what's better? giving them max root room, and letting the roots reach out everywhere, then eventually fill up the area.
or having them fill out a smaller pot (not bound though ;)) then xplant to the next size.

i usually do the latter, thinking i'm utilizing more soil space that way. but more-so so i can up the organic matter with each transplant.
starting to think the full pot size ASAP might be the better way though.

just wondering what everyone else prefers/does.

I go from 1Gallon to 7. Less stress for me and the plant

I find that I get very little if any stress from transplanting. So, I do a number of transplants during the plants life when growing in soil. I start in a solo cup, and then usually go to a 1 gal or 3 gal pot. The ones in 1 gal pots get transplanted to at least 3 gal pots. If they are big plants, I will go to a 5 gal pot. Part of this is a space issue--if I am growing from seed and have to sex the plants, I know that I am going to lose approx. 1/2 of them to being male. I do not know if this is the best way to do it, it is just the way I do it.

I think i would go 1,5, then 10/20 I just think it is hard to get the big pot watered well with a little guy in it...

Last summer i went from 5 to ten and i was shocked how little they filled it in flower. They really do slow the root growth once in flower, huh.

It sure would be easier going from 1 -20, but i don't think i would be good at that.

Mojo for the grow Kaotik.

This being my first grow, I went small jiffy pot, 3 gallon smart pot, and last for flowering I stuck them in 7 gallon smart pots.

Many variables come into play, your grow space, do you want/need several 30 gallons in a 4x4 tent? Lol.

Latest posts

Back