Pot Wars: Hydro v Dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
Probably a lot of folks have done this "experiment", growing one strain in hydro and dirt simultaneously. I am growing Nirvana Papaya and Emerald Triangle Royal Purple Kush in both and so far the hydro is winning. Other folks who have done this, what were the results? Just mammalian curiosity.

:yay: sweet finally someone to do a compare contrast. From What I know you get speedy vegetative growth but no appreciable difference with the bloom-end of production/quantity in hydro but I've always been a dirt fiend...

hydro has faster veg but in flower they are both the same

While I think they may grow (veg) a bit faster in hydro I really don't think that plants yield any more when both rooms are dialed in. I mainly run hydro because it is difficult for me to deal with large quantities of "dirt" in the winter. I am looking to do some organics soon.

When I get some good dirt cooked up, I will probably do some clones side by side in dirt and in a DWC bucket just to see for myself. This is a ways off--maybe 4-6 weeks.

ty duck, even in dirt I feel like if i sit there long enough I can veritably see them unfurling new leaves...lol. They grow fast no matter what at 24/0 time schedule, ime.

Well I have ran my about 7-8 Jack 47s through in DWC. I have my first ever little organic girl in there now. She is five weeks in a 1.5 gallon pot. I don't think they are really gonna be comparable in DWC I was running 4 5 ft. trees lol whereas Im trying to run ten smaller clones lollypopped in there now. But I have to say once they begin to grow the smaller plants are soooooo much better and easier (as of this far) to actually care for.

Running those trees was a real chore once a week Id be in there tying up down staking doing whatever it took to keep them standing lol.

After trying both out I think I may be an organic dirt kind of guy. My grow seems much less stressful and more fun this way. But who know im sure in a few runs ill want to go for another run with the buckets :D. Thats what makes this hobby so great. There are so many ways to do it. So many ways to have fun with it.

So thats it as of right now I like dirt, but I will prob flop back and forth on this the entire time I grow lol.

very nice, lemon, very nice. That's odd I find working on my tree's alot easier then a bunch of 1 footers, less bending over...lol. And less creaking of joints :eek:...lol

7ge,

Check my current journal (in my signature). I will bet that the people who say the hydro will veg more quickly but the budding time will be identical, are correct.

I thought there would be a lot more variation than I am getting here. The only individual that appears different is one dirt-growing Royal Purple Kush that is slightly smaller than its duplicate, but I think it will catch up with the rest. The other RPK and the Papaya all look identical. This is the first comparison grow I have done but it shan't be the last.

Strains: 2 (I am really testing the RPK. I am growing the Papaya because I always grow Papaya.)

Light: Same for all, 430w Agro HPS in approx 2' x 4' space

Sowed: All same day

Popped: 2-3 days

Container and ferts: 2 RPKs in 3 gal each of FFOF dirt, 1 RPK and one Papaya in 14 gal Rubbermaid drip tank

Watering: Tank drained and refilled once a week, pots watered two/three times a week (more often if the dirt looks dry)

Media: Different, of course (see Container, above)

YYZ Skinhead said:
Watering: Tank drained and refilled once a week, pots watered two/three times a week (more often if the dirt looks dry)

You are watering two/three times a week? Are you giving them a dry period?

Jericho said:
You are watering two/three times a week? Are you giving them a dry period?
Yes, I give them a dry period. I don't water much at any one time to avoid waterlogging. At this stage I sprinkle about a cup of water around (not directly on) the stem. I should have said about approximately every four or five days, since I have no set schedule and water them when the dirt looks and feels like it needs watering. The space isn't hot with one light and an exhaust fan but it can get dry when we have 80something degree days in February and March.

Edit: Next time I water the pots I will take pix.

Latest posts

Back