Pots or trays???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mamba3164

Reaction score
So i have 5 plants in pots and 3 in a tray. It seems to me that the plants in the tray are healthier and have a much better bud structure. I dont usually see many tray grows though. Has anyone else tried a similiar set up? Im thinking about scrapping my pots and just buying a few large trays.

What do you mean by tray? can you describe or show a pic?

Most trays ive seen are for sprouting. Is that what you mean? seems like it'd be harder to trasplant if its in a tray.

No i mean like a 3 by 3 tray for flowering. Like a small flower bed almost.

Dont reckon ifin yual mean 3x3 inch sproutin tray be enough area to develop a good root system to make the plant grow strong like bear. be thinkin plants would turn out small and in need of constant treating as this little medium would dry out very quick and if not looked after be causin yual be walkin trails less liked in the end. Hope yual travel trails well partner good luck the grow.

BWD

Ya Im pretty sure he means 3 foot... He means growing all his plants together in a bed rather than in indicidual containers.

I don't know much bout that my friend This is my first run with the dirt. I would think some reasons not too. If you were running different strains perhaps that like to be fed differently...

If it works for you and you find it easier to work with, and you get the results that you want, then do it take pictures and start a grow journal here to show off your results. We love comparing notes on all of our grows. But you will find with time that everyone has their own way of doing things, and every grow is at the least, just a little different from even another who has the same setup. Every personal grow has to be customized to the environment it is in and to the personality of the farmer. :)

ive been doing flood and drain tables for years now...i think im moving to DWC individual buckets due to the ease of plant to plant contamination in the tables.

OFkushman, thought of u today cause of your avatar. Haha. Watched true romance for the umpteenth millionth time, hahahaha

I have read great threads from farmers growing in beds.
They elevate to waste level, and are placed such that human servants may walk amongst them. Coco, soil, beds of woven glass, whatever. Organic dirt, organic hydroponics,drain to waist, flood and drain. Take your pick.
It all works.

I like pots (bags).
I can move them about.
It's like granting my girls legs.

It is my back and arms that do the work.
Don't tell.
They think they have legs.

Ummm... are you using soil or hydro? If you're using a flood table for soil ummmmm that's probably kinda not gonna work out in the end the way you want it to unless it's at least 8-10" deep, and I would advise against putting multiple plants in the same pot/container

If the plants are sexed already you should be fine, as long as there not over crowded.

how deep are the trays??

Im using a make shift tray right now. its about 10 inchs deep and maybe 1 by 2. there are only 3 plants in it but they are vastly superior to the plants in the 3 gallon buckets. my assumption was the roots dont like any constrictment at all and thats what the tray would provide. I have a 5x5 tent so i figured 2 3x2 trays 6 plants each, with a diff strain in each would be perfect. Ive seen people use similiar set ups except they used the very large deep storage bins. and they had much more space.

That sounds way too crowded in my opinion man. I'd advise you to just get more larger pots, 5 gal pots seem to be a perfect size.

sea of green, soil, and topped 2 times. The plants only reach about 18 inches high and a circumference of about 10 inches. They have plenty of room. And they sit under a 1000W sodium. Has anyone else actually tried a similiar set up? or at least a tray, bed, container set up?

This is 2 totes with one shallow tote(6-8" deep) inside the bigger tote(18" deep). The totes hydro tote is about 3'x18"x18". I have my solution in the bottom which holds about 10gal, and a small submersible fishtank pump pushes it up to water the plants every 4 hours. The excess water runs out the holes in the bottoms of the containers and drips back into the lower tank where it is aerated with an air-stone connected to a large pump. This unit is pretty much self-contained except for the air pump which sits beside the tank. The containers are nursery pots about 1 liter I think, and they have coco/pearlite mix.

hydro tray.JPG

Latest posts

Back