potsize for height

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogart Mc Thunderdunk

Reaction score
i have a 4x2x2 grow box im just about to start 5 autos in(expecting to lose one or two maybe). it will be 4 foot wide 2 ft high, if this is totally unworkable ill switch it to vertical or use a closet. i have t5s on the top which take up an inch and a bit. what would be the best pot size to keep them short enough basically to fit this area without stunting them too much. im not asking for a better setup i know this is less than ideal just goingto try this way for stealth reasons and if im not happy ill change.

would chicken wire help keep them down? like a lazy scrog

anyway gonna grow 3 eayryders, 1 russian rocket fuel and 1 critical + auto. have some 2 litre pots but might only use them to sprout in. also was thinking of using all different sizes see what comes out better this time.

recommend away anyway.

PuffinNugs said:
even with scrog i doubt 2ft hheight is going to be even close to enough space. you have to consider you light will probably take up about 6-10" of that, maybe more, then you have the pots and such.

edit: i read wrong you have t5s but i still dont think you can pull it off in that little of space.

yeh the t5s are single fixture things screwed into the roof so theres very little space taken up by them anyway.
want to stunt them just the right amount. gonna try anyway i have plenty of seeds so if it doesnt work out im happy enough to start again. or move them to new closet. im sure its possible definately not ideal but im not going for max yield and not trying to sell just wanna grow a small amount for now anyway. what do people use in pc micro grows? im sure they are short enough.

Bogart Mc Thunderdunk said:
yeh the t5s are single fixture things screwed into the roof so theres very little space taken up by them anyway.
want to stunt them just the right amount. gonna try anyway i have plenty of seeds so if it doesnt work out im happy enough to start again. or move them to new closet. im sure its possible definately not ideal but im not going for max yield and not trying to sell just wanna grow a small amount for now anyway. what do people use in pc micro grows? im sure they are short enough.
The only way I can see it working out for you, is to do a 90 degree LST.
I did a male this way, in a pollen gathering experiment, and it worked out OK. IMAG0094 (Custom).JPG

I only had 6" of headroom over my pot, to the light. With a female you would probably need a bit more headroom, but I bet you could do it. I used a one gallon mayo jug for a pot.
Yo cant see the pot in this pic, but the pot I have the plant tied to is the same height of the pot the plant is growing from

Hope this helped.

HomieHogleg

HomieHogleg said:
The only way I can see it working out for you, is to do a 90 degree LST.
I did a male this way, in a pollen gathering experiment, and it worked out OK.View attachment 175435

I only had 6" of headroom over my pot, to the light. With a female you would probably need a bit more headroom, but I bet you could do it. I used a one gallon mayo jug for a pot.
Yo cant see the pot in this pic, but the pot I have the plant tied to is the same height of the pot the plant is growing from

Hope this helped.

HomieHogleg

was gonna do that with a scrog or something, one big plant covering the 4x2 but thought it wouldnt be good for autos. might try though. so maybe a good plan would be go with big pots so i can change to a different area if its not working out and not stunt them unnecessarily?

was gonna do that with a scrog or something, one big plant covering the 4x2 but thought it wouldnt be good for autos. might try though. so maybe a good plan would be go with big pots so i can change to a different area if its not working out and not stunt them unnecessarily?

I would go with 2 autos, at opposite ends, and work them toward each other. One probably would leave a lot of wasted space on one end. What ever you decide, it will take a lot of tying down. Almost daily during the flowering stretch.

HomieHogleg

HomieHogleg said:
I would go with 2 autos, at opposite ends, and work them toward each other. One probably would leave a lot of wasted space on one end. What ever you decide, it will take a lot of tying down. Almost daily during the flowering stretch.

HomieHogleg

might do that but still gonna plant 4 maybe to account for losses/males hermie etc. if theres too many ill deal with them as they come.

might do that but still gonna plant 4 maybe to account for losses/males hermie etc. if theres too many ill deal with them as they come.
Not a bad plan. Best of luck,
And Green Mojo to your grow.

HomieHogleg

cheers
ill switch to a different cabinet if its not working anyway and probably post the results.

Good Deal. I look forward to seeing your grow.

HomieHogleg

Can you make the box 2 x 2 x 4? Any stress that you put autos through is going to affect their yield--lst is generally not viewed as a good thing to do with autos. IMO, you would be far better off with 4' in height and a 2 x 2 footprint.

I would recommend starting more than 5 seeds. Chances are 1/2 will be male, so that is 2-3 out of 5. If you have one not germ or it dies as a seedling, you could be left with a single girl.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Can you make the box 2 x 2 x 4? Any stress that you put autos through is going to affect their yield--lst is generally not viewed as a good thing to do with autos. IMO, you would be far better off with 4' in height and a 2 x 2 footprint.

I would recommend starting more than 5 seeds. Chances are 1/2 will be male, so that is 2-3 out of 5. If you have one not germ or it dies as a seedling, you could be left with a single girl.

they are fem seedsi didnt mention, i know risk of hermies and even males but probably more chance anyway.
sound like better odds or still too few? just dont want to have to get rid of some if too many
i will switch the cabinet to 4' height if it becomes necessary(not doubting it will) or use a closet but for now they are closer to the lights probabaly better for them rather than raising them 3 feet to get the same effect.

I can pretty much guarantee you that 2' is not nearly enough height. For autos, you really need pots with some depth to them (how tall are your pots?) I absolutely would not do any kind of training at all to the autos--this will only slow down their growth and will affect your final yield.

BMT try to be extra gentle if you lst autos. Anything that slows them down costs you some yield later on. I am with the others who think 24 inches is gonna be tough. shallow pots might help you with the height restriction but will also cost you in the yield department. JMO I hve been out of the auto game for a long time now.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I can pretty much guarantee you that 2' is not nearly enough height. For autos, you really need pots with some depth to them (how tall are your pots?) I absolutely would not do any kind of training at all to the autos--this will only slow down their growth and will affect your final yield.

i know you have told me a good few times over different threads, im just looking for info on potsize
im not asking for a better setup
. the pots i have them in now arent too tall but im just germinating them i will be changing to different pots thats why i am asking what size would be best here but its hard to get an answer. anyway im going to find some today. might get a mix and see what works best for me during this grow.
i will deal with the headroom when i come to it as i said im not against changing to a taller cabinet but for now this is what i am doing as seedlings they dont need four feet in height.
ill try to keep away from training wasnt planning on it anyway.

theres loads of great information on this forum but its very hard to get an answer without getting sidetracked.
cheers for the help anyway.

Tree pots work well because the autos like deep pots. I think OHC said something about 15" deep tree pots somewhere....

The Hemp Goddess said:
Tree pots work well because the autos like deep pots. I think OHC said something about 15" deep tree pots somewhere....
cool ill have a look,

i was paging through my big book of buds, easy rider grows in 6 square inches each and grows 2 feet (60cm tall) thats not including the pot size. produces around a half oz.

think i saw a dowloadable version of that somewhere ill go find it.

lots of 2ltr soda bottels??? just a thout!! youd be suprized:eek: :hubba: trust me!!" feed up 1teaspoon of caster sugar every 4ltrs water for last 3 weeks of growing put up to 20/ weight to your crop<<<<>>>:ignore: EDITthe bugs dont worry yerself on them!!001.JPG this lil ladie came from 2ltr along with 3 others flowerd under 125watt red cfl it weighd up 20g dry im sure <<<<<think 6 soda bottels per square foot:icon_smile: [j]

cool ill have a look,

think i saw a dowloadable version of that somewhere ill go find it.
hXXp://www.stuewe.com/products/datasheets/treepots.pdf
I use the TP915R for autos. 9" dia x 15" tall. Down at the bottom of the pdf is the website. They will sell less than cases. I've placed orders (by phone) of a dozen and shipping was very reasonable.

Another thought on pots. I was in our local Menards today and saw those plastic rectangle home trash containers. One was about 6"x12" by about 18" tall. Looked like it would hold an easy 2 gals of soil. You would have to make your own drain holes and use some sort of tray to put them in though. Check it out

thanks for all the info i have planted four(2 easyryder and 2 russian rocket fuel) so far into pots that will do till transplant, 2 up after 24 hours 2 more today so going well so far anyway.

think i will leave one in the pot its in its large enough but not overly tall 2ltr and try find some tall ones in the next few days, maybe try the 2 ltr coke bottle for one, proper tall ones for 2 and then when space becomes an issue ill be able to toss the weakest, just for a little experiment, might find one that is just stunted enough (with reduced yield i know) and then change it vertical or change to different closet.

cheers

Latest posts

Back