powdery mildew on the rise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its420

Reaction score
i hear there is a rise in powdery mildew. i have been growing indoors only three years now and the last year i have had to battle powdery mildew, esp with OG Kush. i heard others discussing it the last two times i visited my gardening store and even had some outside on my outdoor crop last year. i run a dehumidifier 24/7 which helps some. i heard a 10% nonfat milk spray helps? also someone said ammonia spray helps and also helps with mites. does anyone know if these are safe and effective? any other ideas? thanks.
peace to all

powdery mildew can be controlled with proper humidity range...this can be helped by proper ventilation. However, I am currently fighting PM myself due to a flooded basement a while back, and my ventilation isn't optimal. There's a supposedly organic spray called Serenade which is supposed to control PM...spray in veg (says can be sprayed up until days before harvest, but....) And Eagle 20...I believe (memory issues these days, could be eagle 40) has been recommended by some top growers in here!

Good luck!

PM can also thrive in very low humidity, i had PM with a RH of 22%.

Milk imo will not work, if you have reoccouring PM a sulphur burn is the best solution imo.

yeah it seems to be surpassing the dreaded mite as the growers worst nightmare.
seeing it way to common now. don't know why, bad breeding practices or what, but it sure seems to be on the rise.

i can tell you serenade 'ready to use' will work for about 7-10 days (hardly worth the smell for that small of a victory IMO)
serenade concentrate doesn't work at all IME
safers defendor will work for about 10 days.. but if sprayed in bloom will torch all you pistils
a buddy of mine is sending me some green cure (can't find it locally) it's potassium bicarbonate, and is supposed to work better than the other sprays i've tried.. we'll see. (bonus here is apparently you can spray till harvest (or closer to harvest than i would with the others ;) )

really though, i'm done effing around.. i'm finishing my last crop here, and completely restarting. i see no other cure.. all there are is treatments. losing my prized apollo and OG cuttings among others, but if i can get pm free it will be worth it to start over and finish plants cleanly how i want them. (i'm going to be bummed, but not to surprised if it still returns though.. it's such a PITA to rid completely)

whatever you decide, good luck. stuff is hell

and does it hurt you to smoke it? well,.. not it, but mj that had it. it appears to stay on the leaf and ive noticed no s/s of it deep inside the buds. ive noticed no ill or odd tastes but want to know for sure. ive heard once a plant has it, it has it for life. its in its dna. ive heard related to climate change. south american coffee growers battling it and lost crops r/t pm.

I also had a problem with PM last year. We had a lot of rain here, and it didn't help one bit. I heard a sulfur burn in veg will help. As well as a neem regiment as long as its in the veg stage. I will have to try this year.

As for Its420's question. Ive noticed its not the PM that is dangerous. It's the rotting of the buds because of a PM issue that is dangerous.

NorCalHal said:
Again.....Eagle 20 FTW.

I was going to quote your earlier PM, THANKS!!! This stuff is more expensive, but as I understand is concentrated and will last forever. If Hal swears by it, it's gotta be good! I've yet to be able to order since someone hacked my paypal....

well hello again all my friends... just reading and seeing the references to burning sulphor ummm here is my story about burning sulphor. it wasnt to cure any powderey mildew tho. i moved into an old house and it had scunks liveing under the floor. i got tired of the smell and someone sugested to burn some sulphor and chase the scunks out.... i got a metal coffee can and poked a bunch of vent holes in the bottom and put in some charcoal briquettes and lit them got them hot and ash covered then took a big handfull of powdwer yellow sulphor and dumped it on those hot coals and the yellow accrid smoke started billowing almost imeadiatly. couldnt hardly get out of the basement. wheeew it was bad. i let it burn out smoke was coming out of the foundation and seeping up threw the floor into the house smelled horrid. i opened all the windows and doors to let it vent out and started cleaning up. had to wash every wall and ceilling to get rid of the smell and in 3 days time every house plant i owned was dead or dieing. so i kinda hesitate to think of subjecting my girls to that!

I have done a bunch of sulphur burns 3 feet above my plants, never hurt anything but the PM. jmo.

Eagle20 is it. Look, if you are spraying milk or burning sulfer then you are using WAY too many verbs.. Consider saying this, instead.. "I sprayed Eagle20, once......"

If you have not used Eagle20, then you are fighting pm.. If you use Eagle20 just one time, then pm is something eliminated once......

Get it now? :D 1 app, no worries....

Kaotic my friend.. Pm is easy.. It's the root aphids that have bumped mites from their throne :( Ugh....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to nvthis again.

I want to add, someone sent me a rep (please sign your rep) saying this Eagle 20 stuff is some serious stuff..yep, sure is. It's what is used on golf courses to prevent diseases like snow mold and such, it's used in many applications. Anyone considering using should certainly READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and use safety measures!!

Latest posts

Back