Powdery Mildew

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoseyWales

I reckon so.
Reaction score
I think i have a powdery mildew issue, is there any remedy? Looks like small dull white spots that i can wipe away with my finger

Powdery mildew will look like white powder on your plant. A pic would help if you can post one.
If you can, take them outside and spray the powdery stuff off. There are many remedies that you can make at home or you can buy a fungicide to spray on them on them after they dry. Wipe down your grow area to remove any residue. The internet has recipes for stuff to kill the kill the mold.

Find the problem that caused the powdery mildew. Plants spaced to closely in a warm environment with lack of good airflow may be the problem.

I wish you all the best with your grow.

If the problem is on several strains then you probably need more airflow. Some strains are more prone to it. One of the simple remedies that worked for me was plain milk. It might sound odd, I used powdered milk dissolved in water and it killed the PM.

If the problem is on several strains then you probably need more airflow. Some strains are more prone to it. One of the simple remedies that worked for me was plain milk. It might sound odd, I used powdered milk dissolved in water and it killed the PM.
Thank you.

its the lacto bacillus in the milk, it doesn't cure it, it suppress it. White power mildew is systemic, so topical treatments only suppress the active powder part of it. You will still smoke it, if you take cuts, they will have have it also. Eagle20 is the only product that will cure it, but it is toxic. In CA, testing shows up 2 or 3 generations after being applied. Best thing to do is tear it up into pieces and burn it

If you have really valuable mothers, eagle20 them and grow out everything else, break down your gear, sanitize it, bleach the bejeezus out of your space, and use a combination of a dehumidifier and a preventative like sns244 going forward.
That being said, eagle20 is scary and a couple milliliters is enough to do like ... your whole lawn... twice... not that you'd want to. It's not a nice chemical to have just sitting around the house waiting to expire.
If you get pm it means you aren't running your humidity management correctly. I've seen it most often in grows where the exhaust is inadequate plus night temps fall below the dew point and condensation on the leaves creates an ideal Petri dish for fungi.

As an organic girl, i pull off all the leaves and dispose of them where the spores can't get out. I take branches out if it is crowded, for air circulation, and rinse the mold off that remains. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but this is rose world mold i was familiar with. Then put a fan on the plant. If that doesn't get it I toss the plant.

The professional breeders that I know who have had this issue clean everything with 35% hydrogen peroxide. It is hard to get and dangerous to work with. Personal protective equipment is required. 1 drop on your hands will burn your skin and turn it stark white. But it is effective.

The professional breeders that I know who have had this issue clean everything with 35% hydrogen peroxide. It is hard to get and dangerous to work with. Personal protective equipment is required. 1 drop on your hands will burn your skin and turn it stark white. But it is effective.
Got a gallon from amazon. Its very effective in killing algae in my grow

^^^^yup. Have experienced 35% h2o2 burns, and they ain't pretty, to say the least.... got some under my fingernail from a pinhole in a pair of gloves. That kinda smarted! Also as an oxidiser it's incompatible for storage with pretty much anything- absolutely no hydrocarbons (oils, solvents, other pesticides, etc) in the vicinity. And it reacts with most metals. And an old bottle of hi-test peroxide can become unstable with age.
I have a liter of the stuff stashed in a safe place and make a point of opening it and wiping off the threads/cap periodically.
Great for killing off pathogens. Scary to have around the house. :)
Rose- I used to use a neem oil wash on my rodebushes for pm. But it kinda defeated the purpose of having fragrant roses lolol peee-eeeewwww!

Ah. Makes sense. What about beauty shops?

It's an industrial chemical. I can't imagine beauty shops taking the risk of even stocking it. One broken bottle in the stockroom would be a Capital S Situation; one dumb consumer would be a lawsuit. I only got my paws on some because I scored it in a lab cleanout from a facility that was able to acquire it for manufacturing purposes.

Beauty shops stock 3% H2O2. You can buy it at the grocery store. Not the same at all.

I have not tried it, but an ozone generator might work. You can not be in the room while it is running, obviously. 24 hours might be long enough to kill everything in the room

I like that idea. Ozone is functionally similar to peroxide. It has an extra oxygen atom it would be delighted to give up! But as with peroxide, concentration and contact time are directly proportional to effectiveness.
For a modest sized grow such as the OP is trying to manage, a good cleaning of surfaces with even something like good ol' Lysol will help immensely.
Bottom line is, dry out your environment and mold can't grow :)

Latest posts

Back