Preflower Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omnigr33n

I'm a damn monkey.
Reaction score
I have three plants. They are all about the same height of 16 inches or so. Now they have all been in veg mode since germination on Sept. 20. I can see clearly that 2 of the plants are female because I see the pistils, but I think one of them is a male because all I see is a sort of pistillate flower looking sac. Is it still too early for me to tell that its a male or female? Can those pollen sac looking things still have pistils grow out of them? Ive looked at pictures and I am thinking it is male but still..
Im going to begin my flower in about a week of one of the females and the male looking one. One of them will be a mother plant.
How long until after the 12/12 light cycle will I have to get rid of the males if they are males or should I get rid of them now? Is there a chance that they will pollinate while in vegetation mode?

**Oh yea and before I forget..Can I still LST them? Can I do this while in flower also or should I let them veg under my 400w while I LST them? Thanks guys.

Sounds like your right on the ball. Your plants should be mature enough to tell sex. By what your saying it's probably a male, and the other two are female. I wouldn't worry about it pollenating your females until about a week into flowering. So if you have the room keep it a little longer to be positive. If the plant has pistils (white hairs) its a female, males will looks like a mini grape, and if left long enough they will open. Its a matter of preferance when to LST. Most people start early in Veg and stop after entering flowering. Others keep training into flowering until the stretching phase has stoped. In your case I'd LST them for another 2 weeks and then flip to flowering and continue into flowering for 2 more weeks. Hope this answers all your questions, let us know if I missed any, or need more help with these

Dogger

toss the male now if you dont want it...

pollen is pollen veg or flower it doesnt matter once it drops...

last grow i had a male start drop'n at 4 weeks into veg :eek:

one thing to remember is that pollen is hot for up to 6 weeks on any surface it might land on ;)

they have some strong swimmers

Man I suppose I should throw it away right now. So if the others are showing pistils and this one isnt showing any, then chances are its a male is that what you guys are saying? Keep in mind that they all germinated at the same time pretty much.

Besides all that, guys like you have been very supportive in my endeavor. Thank you.

this is a male preflower....if ya notice its on what looks like a little stem/stick...like a ball on a stick if yas gets me;)

cranky

male preflower.jpg

I would not throw out the plant until you are sure...usually males show first.. but dont take that to heart... just check on it everyday until u figure it out.

LoL.. Its very hard to tell. Im getting very frustrated. I was so close to throwing it out and then I put it back. They all are the same age. How can 2 clearly show pistils and this one not? Shouldnt they be growing at the same rate?

and PLUS I am very afraid of it pollinating my other plants. What are the chances of this since I only started seeing preflower females like 4-5 days ago? This is my first grow and I would hate to mess it up. Will those green balls grow some more in preflower so Ill be able to tell clearly? or do I have to risk having it flower with a sure female? Hell Im risking it right now...man, this is very frustrating. I knew this would be a problem in one way or another.:(

I was like manhandling the plant earlier pushing leaves outta the way so I could get a closer and more in-depth look. I even left it in the dark for like a couple of hours. I hope this doesnt have to much of an adverse reaction. I put it back under 24/0 fluoro and misted the plant for good measure.

if ya in veg then ya ok....there just pre flowers mate.its when ya in flower ya will get um everywhere.

cranky

omni..you will most certainly be able to distinguish the "male pods" before they pollinate your fems once you've switched to flower. That shouldn't be a concern.
"Usually"..not always, but usually..males of the same strain will show themselves before the females.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to eliminate any plants untill certain of the sex. 10-14 days in 12's should eliminate any doubt.

Exactly, just like hick said... it is very easy to tell.. you have a couple weeks to figure it out... either hairs/pistols will be starting.. or balls on a lil stick. the pic cranky posted is a perfect picture showing a male "ball"

yep and in this pic you can see they get pretty big before they pop;)

heres a male about 10-12 days into flower

attachment.php

hope this helps:cool:

cranky

17 11 2004[1].JPG c.JPG

Good pic, cranky.

Omni- if it is a male, it can't drop pollen until it actually form sacks. If you still can't tell what it is yet, then don't worry yet. Last time around when I did NL, I had 2 plants from seed that were exactly the same age, and one didn't show sex for almost 3 weeks of flowering, while the other had preflowers going right into 12/12. I almost got rid of that second one more than once (thinking the slow calyx development were male flowers forming), but in the end it turned out to be a very large, slow-developing female.

You can't rush nature.

Oh ok. Cool friggin beans guys. You wouldnt believe how much I was bugging out about this. I was all over the place. Hell, you could say I was even like bitchslapping my plant into sexing..manhandling that damn plant lol. "Wheres mah pistils Biaaaatch?"

But yea, you guys have put my mind really at ease. This growing weed is so much fun. Hell, I think Im just gonna quit smoking all-together and just grow for the fun of it~ That in itself is a stress reliever. Thanks guys...

That teaches her! lol.... I find my stress has gone down a lot since I started growing... however... I also got laid off from a call center!! wooo!! so that helps the stress too. The combination has been very soothing.

take some pics of your plants.then we will be able to tell ya rite away.i had 3 males out of 12 plants.it takes some time to tell,i am still kinda new to growing.5th grow under way at the moment.
i am growing 10 papaya and 5 indoor mix i got from nervana.they are9 days old and looking good.the males grow faster then the females,i can bet i have 4 males cause they are taller then the rest.but thats just a guess tho.my first grow it seemed like it took forever,going in my room everyday checking for changes.one thing i learned rite off the bat is add your nutes in little doses and slowley work your way up.g/l happy growing

hey guys

i was wondering if playing music helps the plants grow or is that just a myth?
i saw it on mythbusters and the plants that had rock music played did better then the rest?

plants that had rock music played did better then the rest?

all depends what strain it is:confused:

i find my skunk #1 likes bob marley

and my bubbleicous likes pink floyd:eek:

:p :cool:

cranky

Latest posts

Back