Prepping cuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemon Jack

Above the clouds
Reaction score
Hey i was just wondering if there is anything special to do to your cuts before placing them in a bubble cloner. is it just stuckin it in there with no clone gel or anything? how do you not get an air embolism?

awesome dman thanks i got the gel im doin my first clones now and i been readin i like how fast a cloner works so i think ill build one tonight and take some more cuts heck maybe theyll thro roots before my others lol

Always use the clone gel. I use both the clone gel and Clonex in my cloner. Make sure your clones are several inches long so that the bottom of the stem sticks out a good inch and a half down into the space below. I have found that if I take cuttings from down low on the plant, I will pop roots within 5-8 days. Cuttings taken from higher on the plant will still root but will take as much as 10-15 days to pop roots. rooting mojo to ya :)

I never get roots in 5-8 days, ever--it does not matter how I take my clones or what type of cloner I use or where I take the cuts--it always takes 10-14 days for mine to root, so give them enough time. I always use cloning gel. Recutting the stems underwater (and giving the cut a few seconds with the cut end underwater) will prevent an air bubble from getting into the stem.

Hmmm...so you guys use the cloning gel even in the bubbler? I didn't because I figured it wld just run off from all the water and moisture. Maybe I will try a cpl with the gel. First time with no gel I got roots in 10 days. I add a cap full of Peroxide to the water 5 days in.

Well i want to put them in rw cubes so just keep check and at the first sign of roots slide them in the cubes or what. i dont see how you could get one aith a little root mass in a cube.

i have cloning gel.
And thanks to you THG i got the whole cutting underwater thing down. my clones i took last weel look decent id say i think some are going to root.. I just want to build this for faster rooting times and maybe a higher sucess rate do you still tent them in the cloner?

I believe most do LJ.

But my advice is to use domes and misting as little as possible.
IMO this stimulates the clone to root for its water.

Ive also seen soaking wet rockwool fail to clone.

Lemon Jack said:
Well i want to put them in rw cubes so just keep check and at the first sign of roots slide them in the cubes or what. i dont see how you could get one aith a little root mass in a cube.

i have cloning gel.
And thanks to you THG i got the whole cutting underwater thing down. my clones i took last weel look decent id say i think some are going to root.. I just want to build this for faster rooting times and maybe a higher sucess rate do you still tent them in the cloner?

I live in a very arid place (RH rivals that of the Sahara Desert)--I always use a dome.

I don't really understand what you are saying about the rockwool cubes? You are going to have to start them in rockwool or put them in something like hydrotron after they get roots. You are not going to be able to push clones with small roots into rockwool cubes.

Pics taken today, they were cut last wednesday, 8 days and roots are here.

roots 002.JPG

Hey Goddess you never get any difference in rooting from top to bottom of plant? Maybe its the pheno of the plant that I am growing, because I can see a big difference every time I do it. I don't get full roots within 5days but I often start seeing nubs beginning to push out to 1/2" or so. :hubba:

Hey Hamster, I think the cloning gel does wash off the cuttings fairly quick but I haven't tried it without the gel in the cloner so I can't say that it is any better. I would think that it helps add concentrated rooting hormones to the plant and water mix so I use it. :)

Hey Jack, In my opinion, You don't want to use a bubble cloner unless you are going to go from that to either soil or coco(which is what I use), as the roots will grow out and get long quickly, and you don't want to try to put those into any type of cube or hydroton like that as the roots are very tender and break easily at that point. You would be best to stay with the RW cubes or one of the other types of rooting cubes so that the plant roots can spread through those as they grow out :)

As the plant ages and matures, vitamin B settles (is drawn down too, w/e u wanna call it) to the bottom branches of the mother plant (in nature the branches get heavy and settle to the ground, air layering being the means of self propagation), that's why sucker cuttings root faster then top ones.

Hamster Lewis said:
Hmmm...so you guys use the cloning gel even in the bubbler? I didn't because I figured it wld just run off from all the water and moisture. Maybe I will try a cpl with the gel. First time with no gel I got roots in 10 days. I add a cap full of Peroxide to the water 5 days in.

If the cuttings are dry when you dip them in gel it seems to stay on better. I cut and dip all in one continuous step.

BlueNose said:
If the cuttings are dry when you dip them in gel it seems to stay on better. I cut and dip all in one continuous step.
Yep yep. That's what I do as well.:D

Oh i just thought as soon as you seed the root bumps you could slide them down in the cubes if you guys dont think it will work then nvm cause Im gonna use the rockwool cubes. My plan is to veg them in 4 in blocks till there ready to flower then move them over to my dwc system. Let my lights run 24/0 till i see roots from my net pot them flip them. that way I dont have to build 8 dwc systems just 4

I always just used SuperThrive in my Bubbler, and never had a problem. Rooted in or about 2 weeks everytime.

Hushpuppy said:
Hey Hamster, I think the cloning gel does wash off the cuttings fairly quick but I haven't tried it without the gel in the cloner so I can't say that it is any better. I would think that it helps add concentrated rooting hormones to the plant and water mix so I use it. :)

BlueNose said:

Thanks guys I will try some rooting gel next time and see if they throw roots any faster. 10 days makes me happy though.

Lemon Jack said:
Oh i just thought as soon as you seed the root bumps you could slide them down in the cubes if you guys dont think it will work then nvm cause Im gonna use the rockwool cubes.

I think you will want more then just the root bumps showing....I grow in soil so I just let them get a fair amount of roots going and then put them into soil with a dome for a day or two.

Well thanks guys I guess Ill just stick with what I got I wanted the faster rooting times but if it wont work with my plan Ill just have to deal with waiting a few more days oh well. Thats all this whole thing is is a waiting game.

Yeah, like Hick said, patience is a virtue but for growing MJ it is a must. I honestly don't think that using a cloner versus cloning in RW cubes or Jiffy pellets is any faster. I think the difference is in using the gel followed by clonex is key. Plus in the cloner, you can watch the day to day progress, where in a cube or soil you have to wait until roots come out of the cube or you start seeing new growth.

There is another option if you really want to make your own cloner. This is literrally right off the top of my head so it may not work, or it may be completely moronic IDK. But you could build a small bubble cloner and make the holes big enough to squeeze the round RW pucks with the cutting held within them. Just dip the cutting in the gel then gently slide it into the puck and insert it in the hole of the cloner. The bubbling will keep the puck damp without washing away the gel. You could use either the square or round pucks and just cut the holes in the top of the cloner to fit them snuggly into it, just far enough to maintain a ballance of moisture and air. :)

Latest posts

Back