Prince of Pot Marc Emery could be extradited to U.S. Friday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Vancouver marijuana activist Marc Emery is taking his last puff of freedom -- as the clock counts down on an extradition order that will send him to a U.S. jail for five years.

Mr. Emery, founder of the B.C. Marijuana Party and publisher of Cannabis Culture magazine, is currently out on bail waiting for Federal Justice Minister and Attorney General Rob Nicholson to sign the extradition order, which can be done any time after Friday.

Mr. Emery says he will not turn fugitive, but will obey the order, when it comes.

Until then, Mr. Emery, often referred to as B.C.'s Prince of Pot, is making the most of his last days of freedom.

"I've been enjoying every moment of it out with my wife. We are just living day to day," he said.

Mr. Emery's trouble with U.S. authorities stemmed from his online mail-order marijuana seed business, "Marc Emery Direct Seeds," which he ran from 1994 to 2005.

Trade in seeds is illegal in Canada and the U.S., but the law is seldom enforced here.

By 2005, the U.S. Justice Department got wind of the seeds coming into their country. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency raided Mr. Emery's business, and the Canadian government was asked to extradite him to America to face charges of conspiracy to produce and traffic marijuana and to launder the proceeds of crime -- charges that could have landed him a life sentence in a U.S. prison.

After a failed legal bid to serve his time in Canada, Mr. Emery signed a plea bargain in September 2009 to avoid a U.S. trial. The deal reduced his sentence to five years in a U.S. federal prison.

"It's clearly a political case against me," Mr. Emery said. "It's not because of any harm I have done."

Mr. Emery was detained in North Fraser Pretrial Centre as his lawyers argued his case in an extradition hearing in B.C. Supreme Court. He was released on bail Nov. 18.

After his hearing concluded, his lawyer was given a reprieve until this week to submit final documents, owing to an illness -- which meant the extradition order could not be filed until today at the earliest.

Mr. Emery said he expects to be held at SeaTac Federal Detention Centre outside Seattle for several weeks following his transfer to the U.S. while officials decide where he will serve his sentence.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/yfpd3bm

This is so bull america is just a big bully that only cares about itself.

Like the world is such a bad place if we grow a plant that has been here as long as we have.

Get your effin head out of the sand America

as an american and a former us soldier i am appalled by the way america treats MJ! to bad this country is ran by Pharmicudicals and oil companys cuz Hemp could help solve our fossil fuel crises. I love this country but i agree we need to pull our head out of our A#%es!!! We need to recognize it atleast for its medical qualities! hell if u believe in that "war" in iraq, leagalizing it could help pay the 1.7 trillion, yeah thats right trillion dollars we have spent over there! there is a problem when u spend almost 2 trillion dollars on sending americans into a country that does not want us and start killing everyone, and yet make a plant illeagle!! a plant which helps people!! ok im done ranting!! :)

thc is good for me said:
This is so bull america is just a big bully that only cares about itself.

Like the world is such a bad place if we grow a plant that has been here as long as we have.

Get your effin head out of the sand America

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,
He's not going to jail for growing or selling Mj seeds. He's going to jail because, like many people, he believed he could stand in Canada and snub his nose at Uncle Sam. He found out he was wrong.
He is a arrogant, obnoxious, show boat. He messed with the bull, he got the horn, well deserved. Anyone, anywhere who thinks America can't/won't just pluck you up out of your country and drop you into one of our federal facilities is nuts.

cubby said:
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong,
He's not going to jail for growing or selling Mj seeds. He's going to jail because, like many people, he believed he could stand in Canada and snub his nose at Uncle Sam. He found out he was wrong.
He is a arrogant, obnoxious, show boat. He messed with the bull, he got the horn, well deserved. Anyone, anywhere who thinks America can't/won't just pluck you up out of your country and drop you into one of our federal facilities is nuts.
Well said. We might be a big bully...but don't ever think for a moment one man could stand against it. It would be a death wish. as mr. "prince of pot" :rolleyes: found out the hard way. Got no use for the guy myself..not the spokesman i want for MJ.

I agree that emery is full of himself, and good ridance. I to think he makes a very poor spokesman. All he had to do was stay under the radar like everyone else, but he wanted to be a big shot, and he will pay the price for that. Don't be mad at America, it's the canadian gov't that should be looked at for turning over one of their own. Granted our laws suck, but as long as gov't is run by big money, we will have to continue to play the game. Some White guy, the reason big Pharma, and the oil co.'s don't support mj is because if pot were legal both of these industries would lose big money, along with the forestry industry, and several others...plus what would the cops have to do if they legalized it...heaven forbid that they would protect and serve, instead of bully and harass.

Yeah, Marc Emery reminds me of the run-of-the-mill self-declared martyr.

I don't know if its Americans that have their head up their asses and are bullies, as much as it is the politicians who are being lobbied heavily by the pharmaceutical industry, among others. I agree with you Mutt, this is not the guy that I want as the face of legal MJ in the US, gimme a scientist or ivy league-educated politician, aka Ron Paul.

Edit: LF beat me to the punch, I agree with you as well!

gimme a scientist or ivy league-educated politician, aka Ron Paul.
or even better an average joe that works pays his bills takes care of his family and instead of hitting a bottle of whiskey when he got home he'd rather have a spliff with his wife after the kids are in bed. Let him show the world how the MAJORITY of tokers really are.

Mutt said:
or even better an average joe that works pays his bills takes care of his family and instead of hitting a bottle of whiskey when he got home he'd rather have a spliff with his wife after the kids are in bed. Let him show the world how the MAJORITY of tokers really are.

But will they be able to pull the political strings like an Al Gore or RP? Makes me think of Joe the Plumber and the catastrophic failure that was. Better yet, the president should spark a spliff while giving the state of the union address. :D

I'm wondering how much of our American tax dollars went to making an example of this guy. And how much more money to incarcerate him. A boatload no doubt.

Mutt said:
Well said. We might be a big bully...but don't ever think for a moment one man could stand against it. It would be a death wish.

I hate to disagree, haven't we been looking for "one man" since 9/11?
the powers that be can't find that one guy who killed so many but can manage to catch a single guy selling seeds online. our priorities are so mixed up in this country.

I do agee that Emery is not the right person the represent mj.

^
Nope. We never started. His family is STILL HERE IN THE US UNDER FEDERAL PROTECTION.

I really hate that his media given nickname is "the prince of pot".

He will be somebody's prince-ess where he is going.

i feel so much safer knowing another violent criminal is off the streets :rolleyes:

i've got nothing else to say on this issue. pathetic. and the people applauding and saying it's good make me sick.

the guy's a douche and not good for our cause, no denying that. but i do not condone this, as i find the actions of the canadian and american governments to be more unlawful than anything mr Emery has done.

He made the desicion to get into the limelight, taunt our corrupt and vicious govt employees...

What did he think was going to happen?
Canada is in OUR pocket. They would not even exist if it was not for the mega economic AND consumer giant residing south of its borders.

How could he think he would be safe there?
They are busting grow ops all the time in canada.

Folks like him only hurt the cause.

Now...

If this were ed, or Jack H. I would be in uproar.

They are important to the movement.

yes Jacks the man! But he has been raising his voice for yrs, decades, and "THEY" don't seem to hear the wisdom! I hope his health stays well enough that he can remain with us long enough to see what he has spent his life fighting for come to reality. Has anyone heard how he is doing after this last stroke?

Kaotic I agree no one wants to see people get busted for growing or selling seeds...but we also don't flaunt our grows. I mean you aren't about to go yell it from the street corner that you grow, because you think you are justified, and the laws are stupid. We just don't do that because we will be made an example of. Emery is a show off and a loud mouthed egomaniac, who thought he could get away with it...and the feds shut him down. He could still be getting rich off of his seed empire, had he only kept a low profile like everyone else. My problem with him is that he trys to make the world think that he was single handedly going to make things change, our pot savior....we are the ones taking the risks, all he did was provide genetics...we are the ones that are providing our secret circles with their meds.

I didn't see the guy from OG on 60 minutes ;)
and from the looks he got off much easier.

fact remains, no matter what......

A man is going to do prison time for selling seeds.

i dont care how much i dont like someone, i just dont see the justification...

.... :confused2:.. he begged for "martyrdom".. he got it.... ;)

Latest posts

Back