Problem with genres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pan4646

Reaction score
Hi,
I am relatively new at growing and i started at August 2014. For the fun and because it was summer i put 3 plants from seeds outdoor (of unknown breeder) and about a month later i put indoors 3 RQS Royal creamatic autoflowering in soil. BUT, the one of the outdoor because of stress it became hermafrodite and as result, all of the indoor plants started producing seeds. I salvaged some of the buds but My real problem is that a couple of months ago in my grow room
(300W LED panel, soil with a little fertiliser and ventilation) i put 6 autoflowering plants again from seed (RQS, AK47) and just a couple of days ago, i noticed the same signs of seeds near the stems. What could be wrong now? (the 6 AK47 are the only ones in my grow op now) pic included. Thank you in advance.

View attachment IMG_20141216_174206_646.jpg

these look like normal pistils that grow near the stem in preflowering stages. i don't see any sign of seeds in the pics at least. otherwise, feminized seeds run a higher risk or herms, although reputable breeders are known to care a lot for not allowing that. also, a light leak might cause herms as well as genetics. the seeds that you grew outdoor from unknown breeder are probably from herms themselves like much of the bagseed.

Let's hope that you are right! I will keep my fingers crossed but something tells me that i will post again in this exact thread. Thank you for your time

If you have had a pollen release it needs to be cleaned up very well. I like Zem, don't see any seeds. Cleaning means all the light fixtures, EVERYTHING.

Nothing like cleaning ever happened inside the room, do you think that it might trigger the plants and start producing seeds? the harvest time is less than 20 days

The above plant is not ready for harvest in 20 days. I promise. If you have had a hermi or a male spill pollen in the room your growing in yes it stays active forever, til it gets wet. The only thing that "triggers plants to start producing seeds" is pollen.

I personally believe that that bud is too small to have started developing seeds....if it is going to.
There are a number of things that can cause hermies, but IMO, the reason that it happens most often is because people use bagseed, which is often the result of the plant selfing, which makes the hermy gene a dominant gene.

If you did not clean your room well, the plants are probably getting pollinated by residual pollen in the room.

Your plant seems to be stretching a great amount and like Rosebud mentioned, you are a lot further away than 20 days from harvest--those buds have just barely started to develop. If they were done in 40 days, I would be a little surprised. You say that they have hada little fertilizer and ventilation. All grow spaces need proper ventilation as the plant needs a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. Ditto with the proper nutrients. Nutrients that have too much N in can retard bud development. Cannabis has pretty specific needs and wants.

So if i take under consideration the fact that there has been a pollen release and the plants won't be ready in less than 40 days, they will get pollinated. I would like to add that there is adequite ventilation inside the room and i also made some upgrades today. And here comes some questions : why are the plants stretching so much and since the seed breeder said for 8 weeks unill harvest, is it natural to wait 3 1\2 months and last, i would need any help offered around fertilisers, i am extremely confused. (Mentioning again, 300w led panel, rqs ak47, room temp constant 23celcius)

you begin counting time of harvest from after you switch 12/12 not before. these plants were not flowered for 3 and 1/2 months right??

I usually expect 4 months from the time of dropping seed, veg 7-8 weeks, and flower for 9 or more or less weeks.. That is pretty much four months.

The seeds are autoflowering, i thought that it would be easier to begin with than feminised. When a week passes from the past picture i will upload one more for you to see the progress and at this point i would like to thank you all for the support you provide to a novice gardener like my self.

Oh, that is a whole nother thing...auto's. Please ignore my previous post.

I believe you have the definitions of Autoflower, photoperiod, and feminized a bit confused. An Autoflower can come in either regular sex or feminized. A photoperiod can also come in regular sex or feminized as well. Feminized just means that the seeds or the plants that will produce the seeds have been manipulated genetically to produce only females. However, the fact that the seeds are feminized doesn't guarantee that the offspring will be 100% female. There is some chance that there will be males or even some hermaphrodites as the feminizing process is somewhat unnatural, but if the breeder is reputable then you should be ok to get femmed seeds. I have only had a couple to herm on me that were femmed.

For starting out, its not a bad thing to begin with autos as they will get you some bud that can be quite decent and a bit quicker than photoperiod plants. Femmed autos are even easier to work with but as the science is still new, there is still a significant chance off problems coming from femmed autos.

Sorry--auto flowering plants are entirely different than photoperiod plants, which is what we believed you had. Even with it being an auto though, I do not believe that it is going to be ready in 20 days. Breeders seem to often underestimate flowering times. I do hope that it lives more than 20 more days!

Stretching is generally caused by inadequate light. How big is your space? A 300W LED is probably only adequate for about 3-4 sq ft. If your space is much larger than that, you do not have enough light and that is causing the stretch. No offense, but most new growers do not understand ventilation. Can you explain specifically how your ventilation system works? Do you actually have an exhaust fan exhausting air out of your space and bringing in fresh air?

While Hush believes that autos are good for beginners, I am of a different mind. Autos only live a certain number of days. To get a decent harvest, you pretty much need to keep the plants happy and totally stress-free. This is quite hard to do when you are just learning to grow, as there is a big learning curve with this indoor growing stuff. With photoperiod plants you have time in veg to nurse sick plants or take care of problems like nutrient deficiencies, over or under feeding, over or under watering, insects, disease, or starting out with inadequate light or ventilation. You do not have that luxury with autos.

Was the plant that hermied bagseed? If so, that was probably the reason that it hermied--I don't ever recall seeing an outdoor plant from good genetics hermy. Bagseed is often the result of a plant selfing (hermying) and creating those few seeds you find in a bag of great dank bud. When this happens the resulting seeds also carry the hermy gene. And the cycle starts. Hopefully, a good cleaning will get rid of any excess pollen and you will not have this problem again. Be sure to destroy any seeds that resulted from the plant hermying.

What are you feeding her?

I'm sure we would all like to see a pic of the entire plant.

The Hemp Goddess, as usual, has a very good point about starting with autoflowering plants. They are good for a quick start for someone who is already experienced but for new growers, the longer vegging and flowering time offers more forgiveness of mistakes which are a norm for anyone new to growing. Even the best growers make mistakes and having a more fforgiving strain of plants is helpful when learning to grow indoors. :)

I would never grow plants from seeds gotten out of a bag of smoke, no matter how good it is, the chance of it having messed up genetics and/or being the result of hermaphrodite traits is too great to waste the time, effort and money to grow. You are so much better off buying solid genetics that can be trusted to be strong and fforgiving of mistakes. :)

Yeah, it only took me using bagseed once to cure me of that! This was quite a few years ago, but had a plant that hermied and I had a totally seeded crop--lost about 3/4 of my harvest. It is doubly bad since the seeds are no good and should be destroyed.

These photos were taken right now. The plant is exaxtly 55 days old, approx. 33 1/2 inches tall (the breeder says about 30 inches) and i am feeding them with a regular fertiliser (12-11-18), half a teaspoon every week (a total of 2 tea spoons so far, no fertiliser in the first two weeks) in a soil with some perlite and vermiculite to provide extra drainage. The room is no more than 3 1/5 sq. feet and so i hope that there is sufficient light but you were right Hemp Goddess (no offense taken of course) about the ventilation. I only have a 12" inlet fan providing fresh air in the room 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off because of trumendus heat loss (5 degrees celcius outside temp) and a hole 8X15 inches at the top of the room to allow some air escape. The herm plant not only was a bagseed but i stressed it so much that became purple between the leaves and the stem. Before the stress it looked extremely healthy without any seeds whatsoever.

View attachment IMG_20141218_221234_660.jpg

View attachment IMG_20141218_221253_405.jpg

Growing cannabis is a complicated deal and the plant has some very specific needs and wants. After more info, here is my advise, but first....Are you sure that the space is not bigger than that as it looks as if that plant is taking up a space at least 2 x 2. A 3 sq ft space is one that is 2' x 1.5'...is you space around that size? The stretch on the plant tells us that it most likely did not have adequate light during those 55 days. Bud development is also very small for an auto 55 days in. Inadequate light also causes this. Your food is not right for a budding plant either. Too much N will retard budding. The plant has different nutrient needs during the vegging stage and and the flowering flowering. I really encourage you to get on amazon or someplace like that and order some proper food. When budding you want something a lot lower in N and higher in P. A lot of us use General Hydroponics nutrients which can be used with soil, too.

If you want to continue to grow, you are going to have to get a proper ventilation system set up--usually passive intake and an exhaust fan of some kind (do not use duct booster fans). Depending on the size of your space, you may be able to use a bathroom type exhaust fan as LEDs do not put out much heat. However, a bathroom exhaust fan will not work with a carbon filter if you find you need one for odor. You can get a 4" fan/filter combo on Amazon for under $100.

The purpling was most likely caused by a nutrient deficiency or cold, both of which will make the plant purple, stress does not do that (unless the stress is too cold or the wrong nutes). The plant most likely hermied because it was bagseed and the product of a plant that itself hermied, which make it a dominant gene. I know that a lot of new growers think it is a good idea to learn with something like bagseeds, but that is another thing I have a different opinion on. This growing thing takes about 4 months start to finish when using photoperiod seeds. To get in 3 months and find you have a plant that ihas hermied is just heartbreaking. Also, there is a big advantage to knowing what you are growing--its growth patterns, its nutrient needs, the flowering time, etc, etc. And usually you can find someone else who has grown it--some breeders/seed companies overhype their gear.

These photos were taken right now. The plant is exaxtly 55 days old, approx. 33 1/2 inches tall (the breeder says about 30 inches) and i am feeding them with a regular fertiliser (12-11-18), half a teaspoon every week (a total of 2 tea spoons so far, no fertiliser in the first two weeks) in a soil with some perlite and vermiculite to provide extra drainage. The room is no more than 3 1/5 sq. feet and so i hope that there is sufficient light but you were right Hemp Goddess (no offense taken of course) about the ventilation. I only have a 12" inlet fan providing fresh air in the room 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off because of trumendus heat loss (5 degrees celcius outside temp) and a hole 8X15 inches at the top of the room to allow some air escape. The herm plant not only was a bagseed but i stressed it so much that became purple between the leaves and the stem. Before the stress it looked extremely healthy without any seeds whatsoever.
your nute levels seem a lil off for flowering?

Latest posts

Back